JCWbassmaster

2019 Waterfowl Reports

How did every one do this season? We have 3.5 weeks left in SC and I want to go but if it's anything like the rest of the season, i might as well sleep in. Opening day there were plenty of birds, after that, nothing but merganser's and crows. What were the numbers like in your area?

2. Member
    Absolutely awful in So. Illinois. We thought last year was bad, this one is worse! 2 years ago we killed 620 out of our pit, last year 152, this year so far 70. We have food(millet) but most river bottom areas are bare because of flooding.

3. T Dub
    Out of my blind so far this year I’ve killed 7 ducks. Top that!

S Central Illinois season closed yesterday, just terrible.
    2007 Basscat PII Anniversary Edition/200 Opti

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    We are bad again this year, maybe duck numbers are way down guys?
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    We are bad again this year, maybe duck numbers are way down guys?
    The paper duck population is as high as ever!

7. Member
    It’s been decent in Northeast Texas, was great in November when all the cold fronts came through. Hope some more come through to push more birds in for the end of the season.

8. Member
    They keep murdering them in Canada and we'll never have a good season down south again. NC used to be a great state to duck hunt in, absolutely terrible now. Sad what it's become.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako231 View Post
    They keep murdering them in Canada and we'll never have a good season down south again. NC used to be a great state to duck hunt in, absolutely terrible now. Sad what it's become.
    Was wondering how it was going around here this year. Have the next three Saturdays to play with, is it even worth getting out there on the public impoundments? Last year was the first time I went after duck, albeit only made it out once and didn't fire a shot, but the guys I talked with in the parking area afterwards were saying how bad it has been.

10. Member
    Decent 4 day opener. Then the cold snap all our wood ducks pushed out and mallards ain’t showed up. Had a good hunt out west ky last week. Killed 31 birds in 2 days with a banded teal to boot. We have a lot of water now. Maybe the woodducks will show back up with these warm temps, since the mallards are not
    coming down. Year tally at 49 ducks. About same as last year, but low compared to 2 years ago.
    RANGER BOATS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 481VSangler View Post
    Was wondering how it was going around here this year. Have the next three Saturdays to play with, is it even worth getting out there on the public impoundments? Last year was the first time I went after duck, albeit only made it out once and didn't fire a shot, but the guys I talked with in the parking area afterwards were saying how bad it has been.
    The public waters around here have been awful this year. We have 3 ponds/impoundments locally that we manage well and have shot about 30 birds total. Had about 30 mallards on one 2 weeks ago on a friday. Rained all that day and night. Hunted the next morning and 6 came in. I assume they moved out that night. There are some Redheads (50,000) at Cedar island at the coast is about the most birds that I know of. Bluebills have been non-existant for us at our place in Aurora too. Still beats work. Good Luck.

12. Member
    I have not even got my gun out of the safe yet. Son went to ND again this year and numbers were down from last. 5 of them hit just above 200 but a variety though. He has been to Arkansas and nada. North MS either. There are areas in AR that has retained birds. My wife's cousin guides out there and he has posted some great hunts. Here locally, they SUX. Swamps are overflowing with water keeping what few are here scattered. Big river ducks are few also. Ticket here is if you can find a cattle farmer with several stock ponds that are stagnant, you will have gadwalls, mallards and a few shovelers. We have a bad front due in here Saturday mid day. Son has found some mallards using one of these ponds. Supposed to go but will have to play it by ear. Dont want to see Toto or Dorothy in a duck blind.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

13. Member
    I hunt in Western Kentucky in a pit across the road from Sauerheber refuge. Our pit usually averages in the neighborhood of 250-300 birds a year. Tally for this year so far is around 50, give or take a couple. I don't remember exactly. This year has been pretty bad for everyone in our area. The only real success has been found in the headwater and backwater whenever its been up, and even that is pretty pitiful compared to usual.

Two years ago, we had killed 150 specks before Christmas, I think we've shot 24 so far if memory serves me correctly. It is going to take a MAJOR weather event up north, and its going to have to happen soon to salvage any sort of a decent season for our area. Hell, I'd even take a major weather event here in our area to get the stale birds we have now to get up and stir and do something stupid.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

14. Member
    There's no ducks "up north". Hope for warm weather to get them coming back early.

And most of the specs you kill in W Kentucky...have been to the gulf and moved back to the north.

15. Member
    Central flyway ducks are locked up in nebraska/ northern Kansas unless this last front pushed them down.
    killed 9 Wednesday, mallards, pintail and teal.
    Hunted yesterday on open water, hard north wind and snow. 2 ducks!
    i would say it has been a poor year in Oklahoma to make Two in a row.

16. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    The paper duck population is as high as ever!
    Never was any good and killing those paper duck. How do they taste?
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Never was any good and killing those paper duck. How do they taste?
    Shitty.

Like every other duck.

18. Member
    Living in new England we dont have crazy migrations like other parts of the country. We have noticed though over the past decade that the ducks are not making it as far south as they used to. If our birds make it to long island sound now it must be a cold winter. Most of our birds now hang out on cape cod and work back as the weather allows.
    My buddy lives in western NY and it seems like the birds make it there and only push further south if they need to. His area has turned into the new eastern shore. Water+ food+ mild weather= end of migration...

19. JCWbassmaster
    Well I went Saturday and everyone else had the same idea. Couldn't find a place to squeeze in, so i just parked and scouted. Heard woodies flying the river but the clouds must have shielded them from the sky busters, only heard two shots fired. It's a relief to know we have some birds in the area.

20. Member
    Got the gun out for the first time Saturday. Went to farm where I have hunted for years with a lot of stock ponds. Scouting reports duck all over the area but scattered. We managed to kill 15 and only 2 of them were gadwalls. Rest mallards. Damn fine morning by me. Only a couple more weeks left. Maybe we can get on them again before season is out.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175