Thread: Swim jig braid

Swim jig braid

I’m thinking of using a 6/9 hvy skipping rod but read where this guy uses 65lb instead of the common 50. Why would you do that? Also any negatives?

2. Member
    I personally use #40 braid for swim jigs around vegetation and a7’2” mh fast action rod.

3. Member
    I use 50lb Power Pro for swimming jigs typically but have thrown them on my frog rod too which has 65lb. Honestly not a ton of difference, as long as the 65 is a little broken in.
    Last edited by willwork4fish; 01-06-2020 at 04:19 PM.

4. Member
    use 16-17# flouro my self.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    I use 20 braid from swm jigs. I like a further cast to get it away from boat. I will use 18 pound Floro sometimes.

I use somewhere around 30 lb braid, often to a 16 lb fluoro leader (noise on vegetation and dock posts, better protection from pike teeth). One thing worth keeping in mind really across all types of line but especially with braid is that the pound test ratings mean nothing...even the weakest 30 lb braid won't break on a straight pull until what, 50 lbs? Yet one company's 30 lb braid may be an entirely different diameter than another's. You really need to pay attention to what the diameter of the line is instead of lb test ratings.

For techniques where I don't need a TON of strength (basically everything aside from flipping/pitching and frogging for me), I just go with the diameter of braid that equals the smallest diameter mono or fluoro I can imagine throwing on a casting reel. That's usually around 8-10 lb test mono/fluoro using Sunline's sizing which puts it at like 0.25-0.30 mm. That's right around many manufacturers' diameters for 30 lb braid, but check actual diameters to be sure.

Remember it's basically always a tradeoff between "trouble free" casting and casting distance. Smaller diameter braids are more likely to dig in and more likely to blow up on you, but they'll also cast further. If you're wanting something specifically to skip with, I'd err on the side of larger diameter (trouble free is very important, distance not at all important) which I bet is exactly why the fellow suggested 65 lb. Experiment with some different sizes and see what works for you, and don't be afraid to try the cheap Chinese stuff from eBay when experimenting. That stuff has come a long way and is actually really good quality nowadays. I just look for some cheap 8 strand (carrier) in the diameter I'm wanting and order it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Banned
    and don't be afraid to try the cheap Chinese stuff from eBay when experimenting. That stuff has come a long way and is actually really good quality nowadays. I just look for some cheap 8 strand (carrier) in the diameter I'm wanting and order it.

Chinamart™ has a inexpensive braid Matzuo™ or something like that.. It was $6.88 for 150 yds. all tests

8. Member
    I’ve had good luck with Kastking braid. I had bought #10 for spinning and #40 for casting. The #10 was thinner than #10 power pro but the #40 was thicker than power pro even though it claimed smaller diameter. Both lines were very good though

9. Banned
    I use somewhere around 30 lb braid,

Or whatever line Kent Hrbek is pushing..

Go Twins™ I'd like to see them get some pitching Felix Hernandez and maybe James Shields to eat some innings...

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have always used 40lb Sufix 832 for my swim jigs but recently I have switched to 50 and have seen no difference in bites. I made the change because for a small increase in diameter I got another 10lbs (supposedly) in breaking strength. The next step up was a pretty large diameter difference.

The 50lb 832 takes a few more days on the water to really break in and become as limp as the 40 but I never have the line dig into the spool on a hard hookset like I used to. 30lb always dug into my spool so I had to go bigger even though I believe 30lb 832 is the perfect size and strength.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Smackdown #30 is weak for its rating. With a knot palomar FnF Trilene SDJ expect only #20 of pull out of it. But that is inline or at times weaker than with other lines of the same dia like #20 S8S 832 Gamma Trilene YGK

12. Member
    I don't drop below 50 for this technique. I can and have broken lighter braid many times. I don't think the shock strength equals the breaking strength. The main scenario to go to 65 is when you're trying to keep the jig up in the water column; swimming over grass, lily pads, water willow etc. The thicker line a big help for this.

13. Member
    I've never found a need to go above 30 for swim jigs. I really like the Daiwa J Braid Grandx8. Super soft line for casting.

J-braid 4x 50 lb , although I fish heavy vegetation.