Trailer light headache

I am having an issue with my trailer lights, '97 Champion 202 with a '97 EZ Loader trailer. When the truck and trailer are straight I have two side marker lights that are lit up but really dim. If I turn left or right say at an intersection then all my trailer lights come on, as soon as I straighten out they go out again? Last night before putting the boat up I shook the trailer tongue back and forth while it was still hooked up to the truck and the lights went off and on. I know it is not the truck, I hooked it up to a buddies truck and it does the same thing? I have checked the wiring and didn't find any pinched or cut wires. Anyone have any idea of what would be causing this? I am at the point I am going to rewire the trailer.

You're describing a ground issue. Sounds like the hitch ball is providing the ground, it shouldn't be. There should be a dedicated ground wire, if one is there clean it, if not add one.
    2B576211

+1 on the bad ground. Every single weird problem I've had with trailer lights (eg, dim lights, lights on that shouldn't be, etc) has been caused by a bad ground.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

4. Member
    I was having the same problem on a 2003 rig. I replaced the whole harness. When I pulled the old one out of the trailer channel it had multiple areas of exposed wire where the insulation had worn completely through causing all sorts of problems. Ground wire was almost broken completely through in a few places.

5. Member
    Appreciate all the input guys, I will check the grounds and if I have to I will rewire the trailer.

6. Member
    I have a Champion and an EZ Loader trailer as well. I had to remove the existing ground wire that was grounded at the front part of my swing away tongue and ground it on the trailer itself. Problem fixed.

7. Member
    Thanks Champ 2001 I'll give that a try.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    I have a Champion and an EZ Loader trailer as well. I had to remove the existing ground wire that was grounded at the front part of my swing away tongue and ground it on the trailer itself. Problem fixed.
    Champ 2001 thanks for the tip I did this last night and it fixed my issue!

9. Member
    Glad it worked out for you badapple! I went through a lot of grief myself until I finally figured out that was the problem!