Glass to Aluminum

Looking for a Used Ranger RT178 w/ 75 hp in the North Fl area. (Don't mind driving a bit). Going to change from a 2006 188VS w/ 2015 Merc PRO XS (still under warranty). It's for sale on this site at a very good price!!!. I know it's a big change but we are building a house where boats can't be outside and the only thing that will fit is the RT178. Looking forward to joining the Tin Boat Club.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

2. Member
    Why the 75? Is that the max hp for that model? You’re moving down and I’m wanting to move up. I saw the boat. Nice!
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    Why the 75? Is that the max hp for that model? You’re moving down and I’m wanting to move up. I saw the boat. Nice!
    75 is the max for the RT178 and 115 for the RT188.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    75 is the max for the RT178 and 115 for the RT188.
    Ok thanks. That’s surprising since it’s the same length as my boat but mine is rated for a 125.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

5. Member
    As other have stated 75 is max. Going to take some getting used to for sure but that's why I'm going with Ranger. At least it's a nice aluminum rig. Come on down to Florida and get my 188.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlFedAngler View Post
    As other have stated 75 is max. Going to take some getting used to for sure but that's why I'm going with Ranger. At least it's a nice aluminum rig. Come on down to Florida and get my 188.
    Believe me it’s crossed my mind. Looks like a nice rig. I’d need to sell mine but I think it would be in high demand. Does yours have the swing away tongue?
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

7. Member
    The Ranger RT's actually take a bunch of garage length for what they are. The RT178 is listed at 21'5" with the swing tongue opened. The RT188 is listed at 21'8". They are both much easier to move by hand than my old Cougar with the tandem axle. That one was 23'2" and felt like it weighed much more than the RT's if you have to push them. The main reason I started looking at the Sabre FTD is because it only takes 21' straight back with the tongue opened. That may be a viable option if inches matter when storing in a garage.

The Ranger 185 is 20'10" for reference. I tried a 188VS back when I was shopping the Sabre. I had 22' straight back, the 188VS just fit...I mean by maybe an inch or so. When I bought my RT188 it was light enough to push in there at an angle. The stairs were in the 22' deep section of that garage. These days I have 22' straight back in the garage with no stairs, water heaters, etc...in the way. A water heater in the corner where you put the boat can limit storage options.

I shopped another Sabre FTD W/a 175 three years ago when I bought the RT188. Aluminum is lighter, easier to maintain, and of course a 115 to feed vs a 175. I gave up speed and ride in rougher water. The smaller 4S motor is pretty darn easy to take care of vs changing filters etc...on the small block Opti.

8. Member
    Believe me it’s crossed my mind. Looks like a nice rig. I’d need to sell mine but I think it would be in high demand. Does yours have the swing away tongue?
    Yes it does. I believe it's sold. Have three people in line. We will see this weekend. I have already scoped out a 2016 RT178 w/ 2017 Merc 4 stroke.

9. Member
    Yes it does. I believe it's sold. Have three people in line. We will see this weekend. I have already scoped out a 2016 RT178 w/ 2017 Merc 4 stroke.
    Good luck. Hope the sell and buy go smoothly.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

10. Member
    I've decided to go with a 188 / 115hp. (still looking) The spec say the difference between 178 / 188 is like 5"long depending on motor. I'll squeeze it in or make a hole in the garage wall and frame it in. Going from a 175 hp for the last 14 years to a 75 hp might be a little to drastic for me. Anyone have one for around 17k, not to far from north Florida drop me a PM.

11. Member
    I went from a Cougar with a 225 to the RT 188 with a 115 4S ProXS. The RT is such a simple boat to own and maintain. It’s 22 mph slower than the Cougar. I have buddies with go fast rigs when I get that itch.

I've decided to go with a 188 / 115hp. (still looking) The spec say the difference between 178 / 188 is like 5"long depending on motor. I'll squeeze it in or make a hole in the garage wall and frame it in. Going from a 175 hp for the last 14 years to a 75 hp might be a little to drastic for me. Anyone have one for around 17k, not to far from north Florida drop me a PM.
    Personally, I think that is the right decision for you. I have the RT188 and a 115 Yamaha that is over 6 years old now. It is a great boat to run and fish from. If I did not like it a lot, it would be gone and I would have something else. I don't get married to a boat. Sometimes you fish bigger water or the water gets rough when you don't expect it. I have had the 188 in a lot or different situations and conditions regarding wind, weather and waves. I have never felt unsafe in it. If you were a long way from the ramp and an unexpected storm came up, you would appreciate the extra length and horsepower. Secondly, they fish great from the front deck....
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA