Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone running C-Map?

Just got new boat. Have been running hummingbirds for last several years. Now I have lowrance hds live units. Was told to get C-Map instead of navionics chip.
    Joey Aderhold

2. Member
    I was told the opposite, I went with the Navionics+ East Region, but the SonarChartLive was important to me (Mapping lakes yourself) and the ability to have all 3 units on the boat share the single card was also important.

The C-Maps will not share mapping between two units, so you need a C Map in every unit you want. That is my understanding anyways.
    The only benefit to the C-Map would be no annual subscription fee to use Genesis Live (Mapping lakes yourself) and getting free upgrades for the maps.
    Again, you need to invest more up front for each unit, and your mapping data you record on one unit will not be shared to the other automatically without updating the card, or moving the card between units. A hassle I didnt want to have.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    I was told the opposite, I went with the Navionics+ East Region, but the SonarChartLive was important to me (Mapping lakes yourself) and the ability to have all 3 units on the boat share the single card was also important.

The C-Maps will not share mapping between two units, so you need a C Map in every unit you want. That is my understanding anyways.
    The only benefit to the C-Map would be no annual subscription fee to use Genesis Live (Mapping lakes yourself) and getting free upgrades for the maps.
    Again, you need to invest more up front for each unit, and your mapping data you record on one unit will not be shared to the other automatically without updating the card, or moving the card between units. A hassle I didnt want to have.
    Any and all mapping-cards share across ethernet.

You choose the mapping that have the best quality and coverage for your area.

4. Member
    I have used navionics app on my phone(connected to sonar) and now I'm using c-map on the live.
    For me C-Map wins these points:
    - Customer support
    - Quality of maps
    - Transparency/processing of uploaded data
    I found the live mapping to be almost on par, navionics seems a little smoother. But with cmap (payed subscription) I can build my own map from my recordings, which means i don't really need the live layer anymore in places I fish regularly.
    I have only one unit, so no idea about networking.

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Actually there is no comparison between the C-Map Precision HD AL card and Navionics. BUT...there is a lot of confusion of the variety of C-Map cards out there....you want the one that JUST covers AL. There are currently 3 states offered (each on individual cards) and they cover most of the major tournament lakes in each state. SC will be out shortly (late 1st Qtr) as well.

These cards are created by actually putting boats on the water instead of just digitizing old topo maps. Humminbird did exactly the same process with their excellent LakeMaster cards.

If you live in one of these states and run Lowrance equipment, you are really missing one of the best tools you can put in your boat - an accurate map.

There is no issue with map sharing ANY mapping card on ethernet connected Lowrance units.
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service
    Power Pole - Lowrance - Garmin - DD26
    Regional Warranty Service for Lowrance Ghost, Garmin Force, & Power Pole

Phone: 704-762-9066 --- Text: 704-433-1373 --- roy@wackyriggers.com

Thanks for the SC update Roy. Can't wait to view the Precision SC card. Out fishing last year and way up the back end of the cove (2-3' of water) I see the C-Map boat scanning.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Any and all mapping-cards share across ethernet.

You choose the mapping that have the best quality and coverage for your area.
    I was under the impression that Cmap cards would not be shared via Ethernet. Does cmap need a subscription to use genesis live? I was also told mapping genesis live on one unit would not be viewable on the helm unit.... that is why I went with navionics?! Am I mistaken ?

8. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1023286

see this thread, I asked the same question and then stated it about 3 times and nobody corrected me. I appreciate the info but I wasn’t able to find the answer online anywhere and I would return the Nav card for Cmap if I was given incorrect info

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    I was under the impression that Cmap cards would not be shared via Ethernet. Does cmap need a subscription to use genesis live? I was also told mapping genesis live on one unit would not be viewable on the helm unit.... that is why I went with navionics?! Am I mistaken ?
    Genesis Live needs no subscription. You can even use it on other maps, like this home-made map I make using Reefmaster, Open Street Map and Insight Map Creator:

G Live does not share over ethernet, but can be copied from one unit to the other.

10. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Downloaded social maps from Genesis will share like other map cards via ethernet but specifically Genesis Live files that you build on the fly will not (yet )
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service

11. Member
    I hope they do it in the next year! Especially since navionics is a garmin owner product you’d think they’d want to help Cmap take some market share!

12. Member
    Can you tell me when C-Map plans to survey lakes in Texas?
    I just bought the Contour+ card and in some places on Lake Conroe it is off by 10 feet even though the lake is only 1.3 feet low.
    What data is C-Map using if they have not surveyed the lake yet?

13. Member
    My C-Map chip shares just fine between a bow Live and Console Carbon. The mapping isn't great out West but the maps do share over Ethernet.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

14. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jay's snake View Post
    Can you tell me when C-Map plans to survey lakes in Texas?
    I just bought the Contour+ card and in some places on Lake Conroe it is off by 10 feet even though the lake is only 1.3 feet low.
    What data is C-Map using if they have not surveyed the lake yet?
    Understand that the Contour+ (just like Navionics base maps) are created by pulling from many different sources but mostly from topo's and not from active scanning exclusively.

Many lakes are off on these kinds of maps which is what makes the maps created by actually putting boats on the water that much more valuable. C-Map has the Precision Contour cards, Humminbird has Lakemaster, and Garmin has Navionics Ultra. These cards have both scanned lakes and topo lakes on them.

On the lakes that were scanned, they are pretty amazing but on the others, they are just a "best guess" from available data.

It is an expensive and time-consuming process to scan these lakes and it will just take time for many areas of the country to be included. Texas alone could take almost a year with the current team size. From a business perspective, one has to do the math based on the cost and estimated number of cards that can be sold. I have no idea all of the considerations that go into making decisions like that...and I am very thankful I don't have to make the call <LOL>!

Roy
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service

I will say I love the color shading on CMAP+ I got from Lowrance recently but I also have to switch back to Navionics frequently depending on what I'm targeting. CMAP+ has room for improvement but I'm so happy to have color shading back! Been my biggest complaint since I left the birds!
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

16. Member
    Does the c-map contour plus also have a lake level offset?

17. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Lake level offset as I understand it is still covered by a patent with HB. However...it is easy to do by simply adjusting the depths you set for shading with C-Map. if for example you have full pool to 3 feet set to show in RED as I do...if the lake is down 3 feet...just change the depth on that rule to be 6' instead. and so forth...it isn't hard at all.

I hope to have a full video available on this shortly...will post here when available.
    Wacky Riggers
    Sales and Service

18. Member
    Good idea looking forward to seeing the video

19. Member
    I run both map cards that way you can get the best of both

20. Member
    I am running both on Kentucky lake. C-map doesn’t show river ledges here on Kentucky lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast