Decisions, decisions

Many thanks for the replies when I asked about the Canon 80D for a wildlife and general-purpose camera. I had decided that was the one and my dad kicked in some funds for Christmas to make that happen. Then me and my big mouth happened to mention photography to our neighbor. He just upgraded to a $3500 Sony for shooting video and still shots and really wants to unload his Nikon D3300 with 18-55 and 55-200. On paper they're very similar: exact same MP, Canon takes 7 frames/sec vs 5, Nikon is much lighter but the Canon body is water resistant, and a few other differences like the Nikon coming out 2 years ahead of the Canon.
    All the reviews lean toward the Canon being the better camera plus I have Canon 18-55 and 70-250 lenses with filters already. The big question is this: is the Canon worth twice as much as the Nikon? There's a good supply of both on ebay and that's where the prices are trending.

2. Member
    I know nothing about Nikon to be up front. Does it have any kind of flip screen/touchscreen like the 80d? I will say I really enjoy this feature on the 80d and use it way more than I thought I would. No standing on your head to take certain shots.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrimore View Post
    I know nothing about Nikon to be up front. Does it have any kind of flip screen/touchscreen like the 80d? I will say I really enjoy this feature on the 80d and use it way more than I thought I would. No standing on your head to take certain shots.
    No, that's definitely a nod in favor of the Canon. I've never used one so I don't know the value of it but the more I think about it, the more I can see how it might be helpful for macros or if you're standing in a crowd, etc.