Installed new graphs, now no navigation lights?

Hi,

I have a 2017 ZX-250 and I was lucky enough to be able to upgrade my electronics. FYI, I bought all of the electronics from BassFishin250 Electronics. Steve is a sponsor here on BBC and really took care of me and helped me along the way.

I went from a HDS 12 gen 3, and HDS 9 gen 3 at the console and a HDS 9 gen 3 at the bow to 2 HDS 12 Lives at the console, along with a 3D structure scan and a HDS 12 Live and a Garmin 1022/Panoptix Livescope at the bow. I ran 10 gauge wire separately to the bow, the side storage box to run the modules, and to the console. I hooked it all up and now my navigation lights don't come on. I turn the switch at at the console and the switch lights up at the bow. The only thing I see is the red light at the bow and it is real dim, everything else is off. I did check the voltage at the back light, it only had 11.09 volts. Battery was at 12.25.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by golferdude; 01-06-2020 at 06:24 AM.

2. Member
    Sounds like you knocked something loose. Skeeter has a habit of poor crimps. Double check for loose connections anywhere you may have bumped wires or switch.
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    Thanks. I did look at both switches and all of the spades were occupied and I pushed on them to double check. That was my first thought.

4. Member
    The red and green should light up together because they are wired in parallel. Looks coincidental but you easily could have a bad light. I am not sure what the voltage drop through the wiring and switches but leads me to think a faulty nav light if you did not touch anything else.

-Roger
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

5. Member
    It is strange. None of my navigation lights work. I have a light on top of my power pole, the original tall one in the back, and then the front. None of them come on. With me turning on the switch at the drivers seat, the switch lights up at the drivers seat as well as the switch lights up at the bow. To me, that would indicate I am getting power to both switches. I am wondering if maybe I didn't get a ground wire connected back up at the battery. I disconnected them when I ran the new wire. I am not sure if there is a separate ground for the navigational lights or not.

6. Member
    That could be and the front light could be backfeeding the ground through the switch
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

7. Member
    might be capt obvious here but did you check the fuze

8. Member
    If it was a fuse he wouldn’t have power at the switch
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

9. Member
    Roger is correct. I am going to have a little time tomorrow evening to look into it some more. I am hoping to find a ground wire I missed, but I am sure it won't be that easy. I would think the ground for things like the nav lights, courtesy lights, etc. are all done together? The courtesy lights, pumps, oxyengenator, etc all work. But I will look.

10. Member
    Found the culprit. The back nav light had a crimp where the ground wire came out of the crimp. Lights are all working again. :)

11. Member
    Skeeters are known for bad crimps in wiring. My 2015 looks like a 12 year old crimped the wires...