Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Electric tankless hot water heaters

Educate me. What should I look for when picking out one?

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    why would you need to heat hot water??

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

4. Member
    Always a smart ass in the group. Great help there.

Buy a Rinnai. We install them at work and they seem to be the best product with least amount of issues. Be prepared for the power bill if you use a lot of hot water. They really pull some juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako231 View Post

Buy a Rinnai. We install them at work and they seem to be the best product with least amount of issues. Be prepared for the power bill if you use a lot of hot water. They really pull some juice.
    That's what I wanted to read too.

6. Member
    We built a new house last year, I went with electric tankless (EeMAX brand).

It required three 40 amp breakers, (some models can require 4)so a 200 amp electrical service box would be pushing the limits, the electrician recommended we install 400 amp service to the home to accommodate. It cost an extra $500, but it was worth it. No regrets.

The big benefit is not heating water 24/7. It’s a big savings on electric bill.
    It’s just a small box mounted on the wall, no bulky heavy tank sitting on the floor. Makes for a cleaner look.

I have a navion tankless water heater. It runs on propane, but I like it so far. They are more expensive up front but will pay for themselves over time.

8. Member
    Do these tankless water heaters keep up with heavy demands?
    I been thinking of one for a while now but dont know anyone that has one to get honest opinions of them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    I been thinking of one for a while now but dont know anyone that has one to get honest opinions of them.
    One thing at a time they will be fine.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    Mine is propane so I am not sure how the electric will be but we can run two showers and the dishwasher all at the same time and we do not have any issues with it not keeping up with the demand.

11. Member
    I got a nortz 199 outdoor just put in and i love it. electric bill went down 90 bucks
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    My electric performs best doing one task at a time.

Can take a shower while using dishwasher no problem, but 2 showers at same time would be less than ideal.

We are a family of 3 sometimes 4, always doing laundry, using dishwasher, showers, baths etc. no issues for us. Would not want to go back to a tank water heater.

Not to hijack the post. But anyone put a small water tank heater under the kitchen sink maybe 2.5 gallon or bigger. Electric

14. Member
    How much could it really save. It is going to take the same amount of btus/ energy to heat the water fast or slow. Now you are left with stand by loses being the area of savings.

Tankless costs more up front and have higher maintenance costs. In hard water areas they need be flushed with a cleaning agent once a year. Are you going to pay a plumber to do it?

Recently when looking at natural 40 gal tank heater the estimated annual cost to operate was $300. So about $30 month and that includes the stand by loss. How much would i save with a tankless?

Now if you have unlimited hot water your teenagers can take as long of a shower as they desire. In which case the conservation feature of limited hot is lost and may cost you more.

The sizing of a tankless is based on how many gallons a minute they will produce. Also the tempature rise. If you are pulling cold well water or live in a cold climate that can have cold water part of the year then you need to know the unit will take 50° water and make it 120°

There can be reasons to go tankless but cost savings are not a reason in my book.

15. Member
    Thanks for the serious answers.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    We built a new house last year, I went with electric tankless (EeMAX brand).

It required three 40 amp breakers, (some models can require 4)so a 200 amp electrical service box would be pushing the limits, the electrician recommended we install 400 amp service to the home to accommodate. It cost an extra $500, but it was worth it. No regrets.

The big benefit is not heating water 24/7. It’s a big savings on electric bill.
    It’s just a small box mounted on the wall, no bulky heavy tank sitting on the floor. Makes for a cleaner look.
    wow, no idea that much amps

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justfishing View Post
    How much could it really save. It is going to take the same amount of btus/ energy to heat the water fast or slow. Now you are left with stand by loses being the area of savings.

Tankless costs more up front and have higher maintenance costs. In hard water areas they need be flushed with a cleaning agent once a year. Are you going to pay a plumber to do it?

Recently when looking at natural 40 gal tank heater the estimated annual cost to operate was $300. So about $30 month and that includes the stand by loss. How much would i save with a tankless?

Now if you have unlimited hot water your teenagers can take as long of a shower as they desire. In which case the conservation feature of limited hot is lost and may cost you more.

The sizing of a tankless is based on how many gallons a minute they will produce. Also the tempature rise. If you are pulling cold well water or live in a cold climate that can have cold water part of the year then you need to know the unit will take 50° water and make it 120°

There can be reasons to go tankless but cost savings are not a reason in my book.
    yeah, I was wondering if it would save any on stand by time. I have a heater that sits unused the majority of the week, and some months. Just wondering what it was costing to heat unused water everyday.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako231 View Post

I looked at them. Seem to be top end

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    I got a nortz 199 outdoor just put in and i love it. electric bill went down 90 bucks
    Wow,

20. Member
    My tankless has a 4 year payoff. I instantly dropped my electric bill $90 a month switching from a 50gal electric water heater to a gas tankless. Costs $20 a month in gas to run a family of 5. I can also have 2 showers running and the dishwasher going at the same time. Second best investment I've made for my house. First was my iron filter.

Also, the new AO Smith tankless water heaters release in February. They have a 15 year warranty on the entire unit. Also is maintenance free in regards to flushing the unit.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast