Thread: Coming Home!

Coming Home!

Hello all,
    After nearly 30 years out of state I will be moving back home to Texas in the coming months, where exactly is yet to be determined. Most of my family has migrated from Houston to the Austin area so that is my likely destination. However, the home prices, especially near the lake where I'd want to be, have gone through the roof. Also, as an electrician who has primarily wired large manufacturing facilities throughout my career, transitioning to highrise condos and office buildings wouldn't be my first choice. All of this has lead me to lean towards the San Antonio area, preferably North or West of town. So my question is, what is the fishing like at Canyon lake? My son and I spent one day there a few years back, in mid March, and had some success; but that is my only experience on it. We also fished a couple days on LBJ, which was also productive. Travis was very low at that time so we did not fish it at all. I grew up fishing Rayburn, Livingston and TB in the 70's, and could also see myself landing at Rayburn and working in the Lufkin area. Sam was always my favorite lake, even before they stocked the Florida strain in it, just not sure I want to move back to that East Texas humidity. Also interested in any input on lake Medina, some decent deals on houses in that area (and Bandera) but I know that Medina goes through major elevation swings. Thanks for any input, and one last note; I am really just wanting to be on a lake where I can fish conviently through the week and expect to catch some decent fish , doesn't have to be a top 100 lake. I can always travel to Sam, TB, Falcon, etc on weekends and vacations for that. Thanks again, and hope to meet up with some of y'all in the future.
    Jim

2. Banned
    Just don’t come here and vote blue is the only thing I have to comment on.

3. Bobby8
    Canyon fishes hard with smaller fish in. Did see a bunch of hydrilla last month. Grass is rare in Canyon. Hopefully the grass will stall and will get the food chain going. LBJ is a good lake to fish. If we could just keep the liberal waterskiiers/home owners with money to stop getting LCRA to spray the grass it could withstand the pressure it is getting. Medina stinks, was down to 4% capacity recently, Travis is not bad but the huge boats,wake boats and liberal idiots running right by you can drive you crazy. Generally fish it in the winter. LBJ area would be my choice.

4. Banned
    If it were me and I didn’t already have a place at Fork I’d be at Rayburn. That place was well thought out, the boat ramps and facilities are probably the nicest I’ve been to. Rayburn country is setup with everything you need for a few days of fishing and jasper is not far at all. Country club has decent food and a nice golf course.

5. Banned
    If you like a challenge, Canyon is your lake! And yep, Medina is here today and gone tomorrow. I hear OH Ivie will be great soon and they love people who vote Blue.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I hear OH Ivie will be great soon and they love people who vote Blue.
    GFYS

7. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Saw that coming omg
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    GFYS

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    GFYS

9. Banned

10. Member
    Thanks to all who responded, though not what I was hoping to hear on Canyon it's good to get the honest facts. No need to sell me on big Sam, as I said I grew up fishing there, close to three weekends a month throughout the seventies. A very different lake back then but still great and even better now. I've primarily fished Ky lake and Barkley since the early 2000's, so used to the big, idiotic pleasure boaters. Also unfortunately used to the growing trend of other fishermen pulling in on you. My dad would have bounced a 3/4 oz sinker off your bow for that s#*t, and I'll admit to doing so myself a few years ago , but it's become so common on Ky lake that you have to just let it go. Otherwise you'd stay so stressed out you couldn't enjoy yourself, different times I suppose. Anyway, I'm leaning towards Rayburn, provided I don't have to sacrifice too greatly on wages. Not gonna make my three sisters in ATX very happy, but they'll understand. Thanks again for the info.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmagic60 View Post
    it's become so common on Ky lake that you have to just let it go. Otherwise you'd stay so stressed out you couldn't enjoy yourself
    It's no different here, I assure you.