Thread: Missing part

Missing part

The PO of my boat had a kicker with steering attached to the big motor.
    After he removed everything this is what I’m left with.
    Looking at the Merc parts drawings it shows nothing.
    Is it just a couple of lock nuts I’m missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

2. Member
    I've got a 2014 Optimax with Hyd steering and on the ends of that horizontal shaft the motor pivots up/down on it has the stainless aircraft type nuts .
    That pivot shaft on my motor is solid not hollow like yours though . Could the hollow shaft be for an operating rod for the kicker motor?

3. Member
    There was a rod that went through that was attached to the steering cable for the kicker.
    I wonder if there were a few parts replaced to mount the kicker.
    Now I’m left with bits from both
    1997 Ranger 692VS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What model steering cylinder do you have? That looks like it MAY be a 5345 Teleflex cylinder, if so, I probably have a few of the rods (with nuts and washers).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What model steering cylinder do you have? That looks like it MAY be a 5345 Teleflex cylinder, if so, I probably have a few of the rods (with nuts and washers).
    I'm not sure what steering cylinder. Or are you referring to the Seastar hydraulic steering?
    You feel I am missing parts?
    1997 Ranger 692VS

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The Cylinder Number is printed just under the "Seastar" and "Outboard Hydraulic System" (sorry, just can't make it out in the photo).

For a single-engine application, the swivel shaft should be a solid shaft (yours is not), and you are missing the washer/nut combination.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The Cylinder Number is printed just under the "Seastar" and "Outboard Hydraulic System" (sorry, just can't make it out in the photo).

For a single-engine application, the swivel shaft should be a solid shaft (yours is not), and you are missing the washer/nut combination.
    This one Don?
    1997 Ranger 692VS

I would use this as an excuse to upgrade to a U-Flex ram. Don could take care of you for the proper cylinder. Would be a great improvement
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    This one Don?
    Yes sure. That's an HC5345 cylinder.

Drop us an email and I can assist with either a complete HD Mercury-Branded Cylinder, or the appropriate rod, washers and nuts for the HC5345 (I've tossed several dozen of them but I'm sure there are still several here).