Question Trailer wobble at low speeds

Hey Guys,
    I have a Stratos 176XT with on a Stratos single a axle trailer. The trailer does a side to side wobble up to about 30mph. I have replaced all the wheels and tires and the wheels don't wobble. It has bearing buddy's and the bearings seem fine. Any suggestions what could be wrong? Trailer and tire places around here say it cannot be aligned.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’d be looking for something loose or worn in the suspension or axle mounts. Then measure from the tongue to the front, center of each tire with a string pulled tight.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Did you watch the tires while they were on the balancer? Have them road force checked? How did the old tires look?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. Member
    Check the tire pressure on your tow vehicle, and put it 3-5#s over the recommended pressure on the tire sidewall when towing.

5. Member
    Is the trailer level when towing? How is it loaded, heavy on bow or stern?

Had one for 6 years and the only problem was with crap tires.

If you have 13in wheels, You might consider a load range D tire... https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM10210.html

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Is the trailer level when towing? How is it loaded, heavy on bow or stern?

Had one for 6 years and the only problem was with crap tires.
    ^^this^^

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    Check the tire pressure on your tow vehicle, and put it 3-5#s over the recommended pressure on the tire sidewall when towing.
    Sidewalls do not have recommended pressure, they have maximum cold pressure.
    I do not recommend this but, some put an extra couple pounds above the vehicle manufacturer's recommended pressure. If your air pressure is per their recommended pressure I doubt that is the problem. My guess is trailer is high at the tongue and/or the weight on the tongue is not enough.

9. Member
    The tongue is to be at 18" +/- 1 1/2. It sits loaded at the bottom of the tongue at 16 1/2.

10. Member
    Also the data plate recommends ST175/80D13's and I have R13's

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    The tongue is to be at 18" +/- 1 1/2. It sits loaded at the bottom of the tongue at 16 1/2.
    The trailer tongue should be level or SLIGHTLY low at the hitch in normal pulling configuration. You do not want the tongue running up hill toward the hitch any amount. How much weight is on the tongue?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    The trailer tongue should be level or SLIGHTLY low at the hitch in normal pulling configuration. You do not want the tongue running up hill toward the hitch any amount. How much weight is on the tongue?
    I don't know, I don't have a way to weigh it.

13. Member
    Might be a broken belt
    Risen From The Ashes!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919 View Post
    Might be a broken belt
    That and/or too much play in the bearings or the hitch/ball area.

15. Member
    You can weigh the tongue weight with a bathroom scale under the jack sitting level

16. Member
    Did it do this before the tire change if not then you have a bad tire. Who ever told you trailers cannot be aligned I would not take my vehicle there. As mentioned too little tongue weight can cause fish tailing.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    Did it do this before the tire change if not then you have a bad tire. Who ever told you trailers cannot be aligned I would not take my vehicle there. As mentioned too little tongue weight can cause fish tailing.
    Amen.

18. Member
    So the bearings were checked and they were fine, just needed the seals replaced. Had them replace the R rated tires for D rated, since the data plate mentioned that. They also upped my rear tire pressure to the max since my Tacoma doesn't have LT rated tires. The drive home had no wobble at all.

19. Member
    Check you tongue height and weight. You need to level and about 10% of total weight on the hitch.

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Are you saying that your front tires on your truck are at the PSI that’s recommended on your drivers door and your rears at at the max PSI on the tire? If so you will wear the center of your rear tires real quick!

My truck pulls the best with 42psi in all tires, the door says 35psi. I have been through 200k miles on my truck and my tires wear very evenly.

Personally I wouldn’t run max psi in my truck tires as it will wear them unevenly and make your ride very firm.

I would run your trailer tires at the recommended max psi, put your truck at the PSI on your door and see how she pulls.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV