Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crankbait rod upgrade suggestions

I bought two cheap crank bait rods to dip my toe in the water of crank bait fishing and want to upgrade problem is I don’t know which rod power/action I’m after.

I currently own
    shimano convergence 7 foot medium power medium fast action- I don’t mind this rod I throw jerk baits ands small soft swimbait on it along with crankbaits like spro rock crawlers.

St croix I believer premier series 7 foot medium power moderate action- I have yet to find a bait I like to throw in this rod, it feels like to bends to the reel seat has no power and I fight the action of the bait along with no casting distance.

Sub $200. Looking for sub 15 foot crankbait and maybe jerkbait/ small kitech rod if that’s possible in one rod if not what two rods am I after.

Thanks

2. Member
    Slightly above your price target is the Dobyns 704CB. Should be able to handle your mid depth crankbaits (assuming they aren't mega sized plugs) as well as the jerkbait/swimbaits. Might have to go up to the 705CB if you want more backbone. These are composite rods so they have more bend than graphite but not as much as glass. I love mine. Makes for a great lipless or squarebill rod if you don't like it for your intended purposes.

3. Member
    I was looking at those rods, read a lot of good things didn’t know which rod would be more fitting for my use.

4. Member
    I’ve been pleased with Dobyn’s CB rods, have both the 705CB and 765CB. I use them for many of the same baits but use the 765 when I’m fishing long points and edges and don’t need pinpoint accurate (but long cast) and the 705 in close quarters. They fish wiggle warts, DT6, type baits well and up to about a DT10 or rock crawler.
    I fish crankbaits whenever I’m on the water, I’d also look at the St. Croix Mojo Glass. The 6’10 target Cranker and 7’4” cranker are very good rods at the price point. The 6’10” is an awesome rod for squarebill fishing around lay downs and docks.
    The Dobyn’s fish more like a true crankbait rod, load well into the blank on cast and fish fight but at $130 the mojos do the job well.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I like the moderate action for a crankbait and a extra fast tip for a jerkbait . 2 totally different rods.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

6. Member
    If you decide to go with the 704cb I would try and handle one first if possible.They are a noodle.I used mine for JB's.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 01-06-2020 at 05:53 AM.

I would just bump up to the 7' mh moderate premier...that's a great all around crankbait rod for squarebills, traps....anything that doesn't go beyond 10 feet. Most jerkbait rods I have owned are Medium power with a fast tip. As long as the rod is sensitive enough to distinguish what your bouncing into and know when your hooked up....that's all you need.

I really like the St croix avid crankbait rods. I have 2 mhmf. I prefer the avid over the avid X tho
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

9. Member
    I have two St Croix Legend glass Rods I’d sell. 6,10” MH moderate and 7,4” MH moderate. $250 for the pair.

10. Member
    Dobyns 705cb graphite would handle most of your cranking needs under 12ft

11. Member
    I have several Dobyns CB rods. I have 2 G Loomis IMX Pro CB rods on order. I'll post my thoughts when I receive them.

12. Member
    ALX Crank and Grind are just slightly north of your pp. Love mine.

May look at the ALX Ikos series thats a bit below, but still hear good things about them.

13. Scraps
    The Lew's Fritts rods are some really good rods at a good price, sub $100 I think. The BPS Crankin' Stiks have been a good value for a long time. I wouldn't kill yourself to approach the $200 mark. It's just not necessary for cranking and other reaction bait rods.

I use a bunch of Powell cranking rods, primarily composite rods. The new Max line as both composite and glass rods. The 705cb in the Diesel line makes a good light duty cranker for shallow to medium cranks. Step up to the 705cb in Endurance and that''s my chatterbait, spinnerbait and lipless rod. The Endurance 724cb is a higher grade light duty cranker.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    If you decide to go with the 704cb I would try and handle one first if possible.They are a noodle.I used mine for JB's.
    What model 704cb, graphite or composite/glass? Thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    I have two St Croix Legend glass Rods I’d sell. 6,10” MH moderate and 7,4” MH moderate. $250 for the pair.
    PM sent...

16. Member
    I’ve been using Duckett’s Micro Magic Crank rods for years. If you’re looking for more of a moderate action I’d recommend giving these a go

17. Member
    How about a Witch Doctor Surman in 7'2" mh... half glass, half graphite... made specifically for cranks and moving baits

18. Member
    Bps cranking stick. Mh
    2017 Z18
    175 ProXS
    Dual Poles
    Ultrex
    2 Garmin 93SV+

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70kdog View Post
    St croix I believer premier series 7 foot medium power moderate action- I have yet to find a bait I like to throw in this rod, it feels like to bends to the reel seat has no power and I fight the action of the bait along with no casting distance.
    Is it this rod,PC70MM? What lures/weights have you tried on this Rod? Thanks

I would keep the Convergence and add a longer crank rod (7'6" to 8') to get some good distance for deeper divers.

Have you tried using braid for crankbaits? It makes a huge difference and once you get used to it, the pro's far outweigh the con's.

I use 20-30 lb braid to a 12lb mono leader. That also makes a good set up for other moving baits like paddletail swimbaits, underspins, and scroungers, etc.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast