Smoke from my Mercury 200 HP Pro SX 4 stroke

Today while out in my boat, I started the engine and I noticed a significant amount of smoke came out right after it fired up. At first I thought it was just because of the cold weather and the warm exhaust, but the wind was blowing in the right direction and it was obviously a strong oil smell? Never did it before, and upon starting it probably another four or five times throughout the day, never did it again. What would cause this?

Another question is, I’m guessing unrelated, at least I hope it is, most the time when I turn the key on there will be a small beep on the first click of the key before I turn the motor over. Probably half of the time, that beep does not sound, what is the beat representing and is there a problem if it doesn’t do it each time? Boat and motor is only a few months old. Everything seems to be running fine, water pressure is good, no engine problems or shut downs or anything. Thx

2. Member
    The beep when you first turn the key to the start position is just letting you know the warning alarm is working. It should do it every time you turn the key on.

3. Member
    If you turn your key on right after operating your tilt/trim you won’t get the beep. Myself and others experience the same thing. If you turn the key on before operating the tilt/trim I’ll bet you get the beep every time. I have a 31 X2 cranking battery and it makes no difference.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

4. Member
    Also, if you trim your motor up some where it’s level while fishing or stopped for extended periods it will help stop the smoking on start up.
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FD209 View Post
    If you turn your key on right after operating your tilt/trim you won’t get the beep. Myself and others experience the same thing. If you turn the key on before operating the tilt/trim I’ll bet you get the beep every time. I have a 31 X2 cranking battery and it makes no difference.
    thank you, I will check that out hopefully that’s all it is.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    thank you, I will check that out hopefully that’s all it is.
    FD209 is right on with what he is saying and you have no issues. All normal. I went through the same thing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    FD209 is right on with what he is saying and you have no issues. All normal. I went through the same thing.
    thank you for the confirmation. Is this true with the smoke as well? Or are you referring only to the sound that is intermittent. Thanks

8. Member
    I had the same smoke experience with a 400r. If you let it sit while trimmed under, oil will seep past the rings and it will smoke the next time you start it up.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few minutes to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

The warning horn situation is normal, as mentioned, using the cowl trim switch is one of several items that may affect this. It has to do with the MPR (Main Power Relay) being active... and that relay activates instantly with the cowling trim switch.

In addition to the suggestions above about your "smoke" concern, be sure to check the engine oil level as described in the Engine Owner's Manual. Oil level should be at the second bead in the safe zone (if it's above the 3rd bead, there is a good probability that too much oil in the engine is contributing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

So oil level should be on the lower end of the safe zone then? If i recall there are anout 6 beads for the safe zone on these.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    So oil level should be on the lower end of the safe zone then? If i recall there are anout 6 beads for the safe zone on these.
    Good question....when I get near my boat again I’m going to look closely at this. I can’t recall how many marks there were. In my case I think it would smoke every time not just once out of all the times I started it if it was overfilled. hopefully it’s an isolated case.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    That is correct.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That is correct.
    Ok thanks Don.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    That is correct.
    I changed my break in oil today, approximately 20 hours on it. Mercury says 7 quarts, 6 quarts brings it up to the third bead... So 6 quarts is all I should put in there, correct? Even though the maintenance sticker in the shroud on the motor states seven? I only put six in there. 200 HP Pro SX 4 stroke V8. Just confirming.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I changed my break in oil today, approximately 20 hours on it. Mercury says 7 quarts, 6 quarts brings it up to the third bead... So 6 quarts is all I should put in there, correct? Even though the maintenance sticker in the shroud on the motor states seven? I only put six in there. 200 HP Pro SX 4 stroke V8. Just confirming.
    Correct. You will be between 5.75 and 6 Quarts (the sticker capacity is for a totally DRY engine)... which yours would never be unless you replaced the powerhead, oil pump and cleaned out the sump).

16. Member
    Correct. You will be between 5.75 and 6 Quarts (the sticker capacity is for a totally DRY engine)... which yours would never be unless you replaced the powerhead, oil pump and cleaned out the sump).
    thank you