Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations where to live

Guys,

i appreciate your advice on this. I'm considering moving to Eastern TN in the next 5 years or so. I'm obviously a bass fisherman and I like the idea of a longer fishing season, plenty of new bodies of water to fish, and the more affordable cost of living that TN offers. I work from home but have to travel somewhat frequently for my job. This travel is about 50/50 international and domestic. So I need to be reasonably close to an international airport. I'd like to balance this with access to a home body of water with good bass fishing within 30-45 minutes (closer is better). The other consideration is access to healthcare. I will be around 50 yo when making this move but my plan would be to retire in TN. I prefer a more remote lifestyle over an urban setting but recognize the need for a compromise. I want to start scouting out areas and making trips down now at different times of the year. I appreciate your help in narrowing down my search. Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    I see alot of people moving to my area to retire, Cookeville Tn. I'm 35 minutes to Dale Hollow, 30 minutes to Center Hill, 40 minutes to Cordell Hull, and about the same to a few small rivers. Its about an hour to Percy Priest and the Nashville Airport.

Finding a place with a few acres and privacy is no problem. We have a decent hospital and town is just big enough to buy about anything you want but not over crowded and is easy to get around.

3. Member
    I would center my search around Watts Bar lake, between Chattanooga and Knoxville. It's a great area with world class healthcare in either city mentioned. Neither Knoxville, nor Chattanooga are international airports, but Nashville and Atlanta are easy shuttle flights/rides away. The towns around Watts Bar are Spring City and Decatur, both are small towns with a small town feel. TWRA has been stocking Watts Bar with Florida strain largemouth over the past few years and it should explode, like Chickamauga has. Being between Knoxville and Chattanooga, it doesn't get near the fishing pressure, nor the boat traffic, as the lakes above (Fort Loudoun), and below (Chickamauga). Feel free to message me or post a follow up for any specific questions or concerns. East Tennessee is a great area and Tennessee has no state income tax. I have lived just down the road in NW Georgia my entire life.

I was raised and lived in Chattanooga for 64 years. Very good place to live. Crime rate is probably below most cities of that size. Property taxes are decent. Housing is about average cost.

Watts Bar is my FAVORITE lake to fish. Spent thousands of days there (an hour from CHA). Smallmouth fishing is great as it largemouth. Lake fluctuates in the winter for flood control (as do most TVA lakes) but main ramp access is still good.

Chickamauga (Tennessee River) is also a great lake. More of a "river run" impoundment than Watts Bar but spits out huge largemouth recently.

As for air travel, Chattanooga or Knoxville both have connecting flights to Atlanta (you have to go to ATL to get anywhere anymore) and Nashville ... but CHA (American Airlines) is now running direct flights to Dallas and other large cities.

Health care is wonderful in Chattanooga. I had by-pass surgery there and the Heart Institute is a great place if you need it.

www.chattanoogafishingforum.com is a great place to browse around for local fishing information.

As for a "remote" lifestyle, the shorelines of the Tennessee River (Watts Bar, Chickamauga, Ft Loudon,etc) are heavily developed but still can be private if you look around. Waterfront property brings a premium price as it does in most areas. We lived waterfront on Chickamauga for a few years and loved it there. On the other hand, country-style living abounds in the Chattanooga area and you are still 30 minutes or so from some great fishing.

Feel free to message me for anything in particular that concerns you. I know that area extremely well.
    Last edited by Hair Jig; 01-04-2020 at 10:05 AM.

5. Member
    Being that you work from home Fiber Internet access should be on your list, as far as good Fishing I can recommend the Mt Juliet area just east of Nashville. Less then 30mins to the Airport and sits between Percy Priest, and Old Hickory Lakes, (old Hickory is a close to a constant level lake as you will find that is TVA managed). You are also close to cordel Hull, Center Hill, Dale Hollow, about 1.5hrs from Nickajack, about 1.5hrs from New Jonsonville (Lower end of KY Lake) 2 hrs from Paris landing (still KY Lake). 2hrs from Guntersville and all of the lower Tn River Lakes.

Unless it has changed recently, Chattanooga (EPB Fiber) has the fastest internet service in the USA. Ours was awesome.

7. Member
    Thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I will do some further research based upon this information and check back in for further feedback.

That is a great point about high speed internet as a requirement. Living here outside of Philly l guess I took access to that for granted. Take care.

8. Member
    Hair Jig has a great point about Chattanooga and EPB Fiber. It currently is the fastest in the USA.
    Just down the road in Dalton, GA, we have gig speed, but in Georgia we have income tax.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    I was raised and lived in Chattanooga for 64 years. Very good place to live. Crime rate is probably below most cities of that size. Property taxes are decent. Housing is about average cost.

Watts Bar is my FAVORITE lake to fish. Spent thousands of days there (an hour from CHA). Smallmouth fishing is great as it largemouth. Lake fluctuates in the winter for flood control (as do most TVA lakes) but main ramp access is still good.

Chickamauga (Tennessee River) is also a great lake. More of a "river run" impoundment than Watts Bar but spits out huge largemouth recently.

As for air travel, Chattanooga or Knoxville both have connecting flights to Atlanta (you have to go to ATL to get anywhere anymore) and Nashville ... but CHA (American Airlines) is now running direct flights to Dallas and other large cities.

Health care is wonderful in Chattanooga. I had by-pass surgery there and the Heart Institute is a great place if you need it.

www.chattanoogafishingforum.com is a great place to browse around for local fishing information.

As for a "remote" lifestyle, the shorelines of the Tennessee River (Watts Bar, Chickamauga, Ft Loudon,etc) are heavily developed but still can be private if you look around. Waterfront property brings a premium price as it does in most areas. We lived waterfront on Chickamauga for a few years and loved it there. On the other hand, country-style living abounds in the Chattanooga area and you are still 30 minutes or so from some great fishing.

Feel free to message me for anything in particular that concerns you. I know that area extremely well.
    🤫🤫🤫 Shhhh. I’ve fished Watts Bar for 35 years and now own a home on the lake, nothing happening here!!!
    Last edited by Half Baked; 01-04-2020 at 10:08 PM.

10. Member
    Great advice above. I spend Summers in Fairfield Glade, TN. Probably doesn't fit your exact requirements as a working guy, but..if you like golf and fishing, be sure to look at it for retirement. Five of the best golf courses I've ever seen ( Golf Capital of TN); 11 smallish lakes (No Wake, all of them) with decent bass to catch daily; and all sorts of retiree pursuits for you and the wife.

Less than an hour to Watts Bar; an hour to Chick and Dale is 1 1/2 hours at the worst.

Access to airports isn't as good as some of the other East TN venues suggested...so that probably hurts for your work. Fast internet is also probably an issue for your work.

For retirement, however, it is pretty darn good ...and....we are 6 to 8 degrees cooler all Summer long than CHA;KNOX and Nashville. I love it.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Half Baked View Post
    狼狼狼 Shhhh. I’ve fished Watts Bar for 35 years and now own a home on the lake, nothing happening here!!!
    Don't worry .... I won't give away the locations of the rock pile outside Fooshee Cut-off - or the smallmouth that gang up in the Thief Neck cut-off - or the location of "foundation point" ...........

On a more serious note: FISHINDAD - - - If you do move to the Chattanooga area, get yourself some Navigation Charts from TVA and send them to me. I'll be more than glad to mark some places for you on Chickamauga and/or Watts Bar and mail them back to you. You will need them anyway because both of those impoundments have shallow areas that can sneak up on you, and they are very helpful in finding transition areas to fish.
    Last edited by Hair Jig; 01-05-2020 at 08:45 AM.

12. Member
    Many thanks Hair Jig. Are these shallow areas not represented on a Navionics card? How shallow are you talking about? I currently fish the tidal Chesapeake most often (also known as the flats) so I'm used to skinny water with 2.5' fluctuations every 6 hours. The tide and ice also move the sand bars around year to year. You have to be careful in March to make certain what was the channel hasn't silted in.

I like what you and printman suggested about centering my search around Watts Bar. When I was looking at Watts Bar on google Earth it appears that the majority of the population is on the north side. Did I misinterpret this or is there a reason for this? Are there any towns or areas that I should avoid? I like how central this area is to all the bass fishing hot spots. You can easily get to the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, etc. with heavenly lakes right in your backyard. It sounds like the compromise that I need to make is easy international airport access. That I can do considering I plan to retire at 60 yo if not earlier if I'm forced out or face a toxic situation.

I should point out that I'm single (divorced) and the delay in moving is because my kids are 8th grade and HS age now but will be to their own pursuits in the next 5 years. So no one else to worry about except for the dog but he is happy regardless of where we live. Thanks again.

Believe it or not, I've fished since 1978 and never had an electronic map on board. All of the Tennessee River impoundments are navigational waters and the navigation channels (and some secondary channels) are buoyed and well marked. But outside the marked channels you can be 300 yards from the bank and encounter 1 foot of water. Chickamauga is mainly mud flats, but Watts Bar is fairly rocky. Not good for props and lower units. That's why I mentioned TVA navigation charts. They show contour lines and that's helpful for fishing.

When I speak of Watts Bar I am generally referring to the area of the lake below Thief Neck Island. Above there it is more of a wide river than a lake. You can see this easily on Google Earth.

Areas to avoid? Sure. The more "rural" you get the more risk you take of being the victim of the backwoods rednecks that would rather steal your stuff than buy their own. And yes, it happens there. Not as rampant as it was in years past but you still have to be vigilant and lock your doors and keep things garaged after dark - No different than other areas of the country. Fortunately the cost and desirability of property near the river has pushed out most of the problem people. If you are considering waterfront property I would suggest the east side of Watts Bar. Same for Chickamauga.

Not trying to get too nosy, but what price range are you seeking? Are you looking for waterfront, acreage, or a 1-2 acre lot in a development?

14. Member
    That's a great question. I'm thinking of trying to stay in the $300k range. I doubt that would put me waterfront but I'm accustomed to the ridiculous cost of real estate in the northeast so who knows. I don't need much house size wise. I do like a bit of ground (currently have 2 acres) but flexible as long as I have a sense of privacy. A garage to house the boat is an absolute must. Attached garage is preferred. I'm not usually fond of developments as they typically bring association fees and busy bodies that want to tell you how to run your household.

Why do you suggest the east side? A clarification I referred to the west side as north in my previous post. I see that west side as more built up. Is there a reason for that? Thanks again.

15. Member
    Just let you know as we bought our home on the west side of the Bar between Rockwood and Spring City two years ago, the east side of the lake (Ten Mile) is generally more expensive and taxes are higher. A lot of new construction on the east side and a lot of summer homes are being built by Atlanta people as lake properties around Atlanta are astronomical in price and it’s only about a 3 1/2 hours from the Metro area straight up Interstate 75.
    Lake property prices are on the upswing right now. We were lucky to find a home when we did as the value of our house has risen by crazy numbers in the last few years. Off lake housing is much more affordable. Most of the people living on this side are locals with quite a few from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, And Kentucky. I’ve known a lot of the locals for a long time and can say they are very friendly and fiercely loyal to their families. Life is slower in East TN which isn’t a bad thing. Just saying if you want something done be patient
    As I stated before I’ve been fishing this lake for better than 35 years and I love fishing here, the lake is nowhere near as crowded as Chick. Great smallmouth fishing and the largemouth fishing is outstanding and getting better every year. And yes Hair Jig I know and fish the community holes you are talking about. You also never know who you will see fishing here, Strader is a regular and great guy, Ott, Morgan, McNeil, Wheeler could be on the water at any given time.
    I feel the Watts Bar area is one of the best kept secrets in East TN. Good luck with your journey and remember this is just my opinion and I could be wrong!!!

16. Member
    Your opinion is appreciated Half Baked. I have plenty of time to get this sorted. I just wanted to get my journey started and you guys have been extremely helpful. Thank you for that.

With the economy as hot as it is I can understand that prices for second homes are rising. One thing that I've learned however is that this is the first type of real estate to come down when things cool off. Usually it dips lower than the homes used as primary residences as well. We will just have to see how things play out. I hope to see you down there for a week later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post

Why do you suggest the east side? A clarification I referred to the west side as north in my previous post. I see that west side as more built up. Is there a reason for that? Thanks again.
    Over the years, the east side of both waters has been more "upscale" and has less juvenile theft problems. Also, it depends on where you are needing to commute to and how important that is to you. The west side of Chickamauga is less accessible to Chattanooga and the things there. We lived in Soddy Daisy on the lake and it was 30 minutes or more to the airport and the good places to eat and shopping. Also, the traffic tends to pile up on the dam across the river, as it is the main artery into Chattanooga from that side. Watts Bar is also in that same situation as the dam is the main artery going across the river. If commute time and traffic in the morning/evening is a concern for you that's one reason I recommended the east sides of these impoundments. It was a royal pain for us every morning trying to get into town. Property on the east side tends to be more expensive and nicer construction mainly due to that factor. What do they say? ....... Location, location, location.

Now, after saying that, the west side of these places are not a deal killer. There are many locations there that I would not hesitate to live. I know lots of folks on both sides of the river that are completely pleased with their homes and locations. Our residence in Soddy Daisy was very quiet and our neighbors were great. It was just a bit too inconvenient for our needs at that time. It all depends on what is important to you and how convenient the accessibility of food and entertainment is.

$300,000 won't buy you much on the water. Most modest residences begin in the $400,000 range and go upwards from there. The lot and the access to the water are a huge factor. Many lots here are steep drops to the water and those are therefore less expensive. All of the realtors here will tell you that when buying or selling river property you are buying the lot first and the dwelling second.

Sounds like you have some time before making the move. I would suggest you browse the realtor sites (realtor.com - trulia.com, etc) and get a feel for what you are looking at in terms of location and cost.

If we hadn't moved to Texas recently I would be more than glad to show you around or/and check out some places of interest for you because I know full well what moving to another area of the country entails and the concerns that it causes. Our move from a lifetime in Tennessee to living in Texas was a decision that we dealt with for a year before we moved. Wish I could be more helpful.
    Last edited by Hair Jig; 01-06-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Views like this is just one of the things that makes Chattanooga such a desirable place to live ......... (click on it for full effect)

DSCN0105.JPG

DSCN0104.JPG

19. Member
    Tennessee is a great State with very helpful and friendly people.....and great fishing!! Post this question in the Fla group and see what kind of responses you get

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    I see alot of people moving to my area to retire, Cookeville Tn. I'm 35 minutes to Dale Hollow, 30 minutes to Center Hill, 40 minutes to Cordell Hull, and about the same to a few small rivers. Its about an hour to Percy Priest and the Nashville Airport.

Finding a place with a few acres and privacy is no problem. We have a decent hospital and town is just big enough to buy about anything you want but not over crowded and is easy to get around.

I too live in Cookeville and what Kenfuel says is true. Three great lakes within 30-40 minutes and many within an hour Watts Bar included. I travel for work some as well and can be from my front door, parked and at security in BNA Nashville is 90 minutes no problem. Feel free to shoot me a message with any questions. If make a visit I’ll be glad to show you around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast