Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    What Jamie said. If you are in a situation where you have to run a long ways it can make a huge difference at the end of the day. So yes i honestly do believe that.
    Figure out where to fish closer so you don't have to make the 50 mile run.

Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    I would imagine the pro's switching to alum rigs are getting a nice pay check from the manufacturers to do so, to help promote and sell more rigs.
    I would have to agree with this. Im sorry but no matter how you cut it going from a nice glass rig with 250 to any tin with a 150 on it is downgrading IMO. Its certainly not going to perform the same. Other than fishing shallower thats about it.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 01-17-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    I would have to agree with this. Im sorry but no matter how you cut it going from a nice glass rig with 250 to any tin is downgrading IMO. Its certainly not going to perform the same. Other than fishing shallower thats about it.
    Got to agree. I was given permission to go back to a glass and I really wanted to. To have more speed and a better ride. But knowing where I fish, I am more MENTALLY comfortable in the tin.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Got to agree. I was given permission to go back to a glass and I really wanted to. To have more speed and a better ride. But knowing where I fish, I am more MENTALLY comfortable in the tin.
    I agree with you agreeing with Roy, so ultimately I agree with Roy and you...

I could have bought any boat I wanted, but, chose my Tin for the same reason as you, the mental factor and for practicality, and the OA factor is starting to kick in as well... I don't need to go 70 MPH no-Moe...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    To me the biggest difference is the stability of a 21 footer vs a tin. With more than 1 person in the boat and bad weather you really have to pay attention on larger bodies of water. When I’m a co-angler in someone else’s 21 footer I could dance around on the back deck during a tourney and they wouldn’t know! When someone is jumping around the back deck of my tin I definitely know!

Also, big glass boats don’t hurt my feet, knees & back like 10 hours in my tin does. I don’t enjoy fishing from the back nearly as much but I don’t mind feeling good and fresh at 3pm.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    I would imagine the pro's switching to alum rigs are getting a nice pay check from the manufacturers to do so, to help promote and sell more rigs.
    Or perhaps he is getting less money and needs to trim expenses. He can spin it but I doubt the 198 was his first choice.

7. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Think of this. If the run is 50 miles one way. The run going 55 MPH will take 55 minutes. the run going 65 MPH will take 46 minutes. That is only a 9 minute difference. Now if you combine going and coming that will be a 18 minute difference in a return trip. Now take the 8 hour fishing day (480 min) minus the travel time of the 55 mph trip (55 min + 55 min) and you will get a total fishing time of 370 min or 6 hours 10 min . Compare that to the trip at 65 mph. You would get 388 mins or 6 hours 28 mins.

So breakdown.

55mph equals 6 hour 10 mins of fishing time
    65mph equals 6 hour 28 mins of fishing time.

It is less than 5% of the time used during the day.I really don't see the 18 minutes being that big of a deal to Me but let me explain. I think we want it to be so we can justify having the bigger boats and faster engines but in all honestly the lose in the time is so small it really won't make much difference. It bothers us more mentally than anything and I'm a firm believer that the Mental game is far more important than anything when it come to fishing.
    So in all reality if it bothers you mentally then it is a big deal. If you can get over the Mental accept it probably won't hurt your fishing success at all.

there you go, ruining perfectly good reasoning with facts.. sheeeeesh the nerve of some people !

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    there you go, ruining perfectly good reasoning with facts.. sheeeeesh the nerve of some people !
    Go back to your Big House, on the Big Side of Town please....

We over here is Ranger Folk!

(Albeit your post was pretty funny...)
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

9. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Or perhaps he is getting less money and needs to trim expenses. He can spin it but I doubt the 198 was his first choice.
    OK, Negative Nellie.... Or perhaps you prefer Debbie Downer?

Oi Vey

2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

10. Member
    I think he is probably getting a good financial incentive to run the tin rig. As I think all the other that are doing it are. It will also cut expenses (fuel in boat and truck).
    This is a business for these guys. Money in vs money out??
    Semper Fi

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    OK, Negative Nellie.... Or perhaps you prefer Debbie Downer?

Oi Vey

Just being honest. Randy is not exactly killing it fishing tourneys, unless Bridgford is a six figure sponsor to him then he is losing money. His recent open finish is his best in a while. I wish him luck, nice boat, but don't spin it like he chose the 198P instead of a big glass boat and money wasn't a factor.

12. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Just being honest. Randy is not exactly killing it fishing tourneys, unless Bridgford is a six figure sponsor to him then he is losing money. His recent open finish is his best in a while. I wish him luck, nice boat, but don't spin it like he chose the 198P instead of a big glass boat and money wasn't a factor.
    Well put, my-man.... well put.

We shall see, I guess.

I would like someone to answer my question above in the 3rd post or so. It sure looks like the hull was enhanced in some way i.e. Kevlar skin maybe?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    Well put, my-man.... well put.

We shall see, I guess.

I would like someone to answer my question above in the 3rd post or so. It sure looks like the hull was enhanced in some way i.e. Kevlar skin maybe?
    I'd think adding anything to the hull would increase weight, and add cost that defeats the purpose IMO.

14. Member
    I’d put my check on it and spin it exactly that he chose the 198. Pro gets in a tin boat and all the sudden he’s broke. I guess John Cox is broke? I guess Keith Poche is broke too considering he just swapped to aluminum? Didn’t Swindle fish an open out his triton aluminum?...he must’ve been broke that week. Randy is in a 198, cut a check in an open, I’m sure he’s a happy dude...amazing the negativity people carry around with them on this forum.

15. Member
    Amen

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charley00 View Post
    I’d put my check on it and spin it exactly that he chose the 198. Pro gets in a tin boat and all the sudden he’s broke. I guess John Cox is broke? I guess Keith Poche is broke too considering he just swapped to aluminum? Didn’t Swindle fish an open out his triton aluminum?...he must’ve been broke that week. Randy is in a 198, cut a check in an open, I’m sure he’s a happy dude...amazing the negativity people carry around with them on this forum.
    By running the tin he probably is getting more exposure by just saying he is running one. Nothing wrong with the new tin boats. These boats aint what they used to be. Any 19' footer will perform just fine in any tournament situation even on the big water tournaments when you use some common sense on where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    By running the tin he probably is getting more exposure by just saying he is running one. Nothing wrong with the new tin boats. These boats aint what they used to be. Any 19' footer will perform just fine in any tournament situation even on the big water tournaments when you use some common sense on where you go.
    10-4 on using common sense. It was rough on the River this morning with incoming tide and North Winds. Yes my glass rig would have been a better ride, but no problems in my tin. I would not of wanted to make that run in my G3 DLX 1966, but in the Ranger, no worries.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

18. Banned
    Thanks everyone I like to follow this stuff from the sidelines. Gotta wait to get a tin till Christmas time. Kill this dead horse

Quote Originally Posted by Charley00 View Post
    Be that as it may and say what you want and call me negative whatever you like. No matter how you shake it for whatever reasons it may be. Going from a 20-21ft 250 powered glass boat to a tin rated at 150 hp is a downgrade im sorry. They can do as they wish but those guys dont pick fair weather days to fish and seen some tourneys where it is flat out nasty so have fun with that.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12