Question New Trolling motor on Mean 16 install advice

Hello fellow Champion owners! (Especially the Mean16 ones)

I purchased a new Motorguide trolling motor about a year ago, haven't had time to work on my boat due to work and travel but it's been brand new in box sitting in the garage. I purchased this one: https://shop.motorguide.com/products/940800230.html it's a Motorguide xi5 54'' 80# 24v. I needed something with more beef especially fishing lakes and tourny's I do with my club. The one before I had was an original Evinrude Trolling Motor which was about 30# and on a 12v circuit. I believe it was original with the boat.

The thing I'm having issues is with the amount of over hang I have on the Starboard side of the boat which the head does reaches almost completely out of the boat (I think I might have purchased too long of shaft) and also the mounting holes doesn't match up with the old trolling motor and it's almost on the edge of the bow. How to I reach by the bow to get to the mounting holes? I'm thinking about buying this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to maybe help with the install and give me a bit more real estate up on the bow which I barely have with the new trolling motor mounted by hand.

Here are some photo's I have up: https://imgur.com/a/S7WXwGs

Any installation advice would be great. Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by eatmotacos; 01-03-2020 at 04:54 PM.
    #ilikefishingsomuchthatiforgetabouteverythingelse
    #2000 Champion Mean 16 Anniversary Edition
    #1999 90 Johnson

2. Member
    Just angle it where it has about 1/2" overhang and the head sits even with the side. You will probably have to drill new holes but you want it barely over the front and the head (when stowed) inside or even with the side of the boat so you don't damage the head unit when it is bouncing against a dock. Also you want the head inside when covered so it doesn't rip the cover. I just put a new Ultrex on my Champ and had to drill new holes and set it correct. Your instructions should cover how much overhang you will need; even if it hangs off the same side or front. Do an image search on Google and you should see other trolling motor set-ups. I also placed a rectangle of rubber mat under the bracket to help with it being level and keep from cracking any gel coat. Good luck.

3. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    LiftSaver Plus Quick Detach Trolling Motor Mount MotorGuide Minn Kota Ulterra

This is what you need
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice, seems as though I will have to drill new holes, but the holes are so up forward it's very difficult for me to reach the bow even with my whole arm in the storage area. How did you manage to reach the end of the bow like this? With some extension tool or something?

I think I did manage to align the trolling motor so that the head is not as much out of the side of the boat, maybe about 1" or so. I can live it it but I can 3D print a ram mount and use a custom head mount so it won't be as shaky.

I'll post pictures of my install.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun View Post
    Just angle it where it has about 1/2" overhang and the head sits even with the side. You will probably have to drill new holes but you want it barely over the front and the head (when stowed) inside or even with the side of the boat so you don't damage the head unit when it is bouncing against a dock. Also you want the head inside when covered so it doesn't rip the cover. I just put a new Ultrex on my Champ and had to drill new holes and set it correct. Your instructions should cover how much overhang you will need; even if it hangs off the same side or front. Do an image search on Google and you should see other trolling motor set-ups. I also placed a rectangle of rubber mat under the bracket to help with it being level and keep from cracking any gel coat. Good luck.
    #1999 90 Johnson

5. Member
    I saw this, only question I have though is when it's in stowed mode and I'm traveling is the motor forward or back? Do you have one? Mind if you post some pictures on your install?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce' View Post
    LiftSaver Plus Quick Detach Trolling Motor Mount MotorGuide Minn Kota Ulterra

This is what you need
    #1999 90 Johnson

6. Member
    I had to take off the bow plate (circled in the photo) and have a neighbor help. One holds the bolt while the other screws the nut.
    F19E4346-C0F5-4DA5-B8A3-27F5A8F69799.jpeg

7. Member
    I have a 181DC and put a Motorguide Xi5 using the Liftsaver Mount. I had installed a recessed trolling motor tray when I first got the boat.

I remove the recessed tray and can get to the bolts for the trolling motor.

The Liftsaver Mount is up and back when I launch the boat. I move the mount forward and down until I’m through fishing. I move the mount up and back before heading back to the landing to load it back on the trailer.

I added a long arm ram mount to the deck to secure the Xi5 while it is up and back while trailering and it keeps it from bouncing.
    Last edited by flashnyellow; 01-06-2020 at 07:49 PM.

8. Member
    Thanks everyone for the input, I think I might sell this unit and get a shorter shaft, a 45" one instead. the 54" is just too long for my boat. The original Envinrude TM I had was a 38" shaft so either way it's an upgrade.
    #1999 90 Johnson

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Shorter or longer shaft on the TM would better be decided by the water you mostly fish...not by the size of the boat. Rougher water= longer shaft.

JMHO

10. Member
    Thanks, I think I will stick with the trolling motor :). You convinced me.
    #1999 90 Johnson

11. Member
    I have a mean 15, which is even shorter than your mean 16 by a foot i'm imagining. I just mounted a motor guide digital tour 54" & it's perfect. I just aligned it so that it hanges about 1/2" over the front & the head sits about even (1/2" or less) to the inside of the outer edge. Last thing you want is to catch the head on a dock which I would imagine would make me cry like a little kid with the damage to the top rail of the cap. I also used the motor guide gator mounting isolator kit. Kit comes with four, so I bought 2 kits & used 6. took my cordless on the boat & re tightened the screws after about 4 hours of use & done! Work like a dream. Went from 24lbs of thrust to 82lbs, I literally can create a wake behind the boat now & have plenty of shaft for when Castaic Lake decides to make white caps durning the day. Have a great time with the new motor.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruudawg View Post
    I have a mean 15, which is even shorter than your mean 16 by a foot i'm imagining. I just mounted a motor guide digital tour 54" & it's perfect. I just aligned it so that it hanges about 1/2" over the front & the head sits about even (1/2" or less) to the inside of the outer edge. Last thing you want is to catch the head on a dock which I would imagine would make me cry like a little kid with the damage to the top rail of the cap. I also used the motor guide gator mounting isolator kit. Kit comes with four, so I bought 2 kits & used 6. took my cordless on the boat & re tightened the screws after about 4 hours of use & done! Work like a dream. Went from 24lbs of thrust to 82lbs, I literally can create a wake behind the boat now & have plenty of shaft for when Castaic Lake decides to make white caps durning the day. Have a great time with the new motor.
    this right here... omg I had a 29lb Evinrude and it was terrible.... thanks for the info!
    #1999 90 Johnson