Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 181 Switch Layout

I want to compare the current layout of my rocker switches with what came from the factory, but I haven't been able to find any reference or picture showing what their functions were intended to be. I believe the previous owners may have tweaked some things with how the boat is set up. Here is a photo showing what my switches do now. All switches are on-off-on except the power and horn switches.

It seems odd to me that the bottom left switch would turn on both the livewell fill and the livewell recirc pumps when pressed up. The same functionality could be achieved by turning on the livewell fill pump on the "hydro" switch panel, and pressing the bottom left switch to the down position. Is this how it came from the factory?

Also not sure if this boat came with a livewell pumpout from the factory, but the bilge switch pressed up turns on the bilge, and when pressed down pumps out the livewell. I think it would make more sense to have these on a separate switch, so you could pump both out at the same time in case you were taking on water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Looks identical to my 98 181 except mine doesn't have the Vexilar control on it.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The switch on the side with the timer labeled Hydro should run the recirc pumps. The fill should probably be labeled Aerate and possibly with Auto and Manual positions. Auto would be on a timer and manual would bypass the timer. I don't know about a livewell pumpout back then, but I can't think of a good reason to run both the pumpout and bilge at the same time.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bukfevr View Post
    Looks identical to my 98 181 except mine doesn't have the Vexilar control on it.
    So does your Hydro switch also control the livewell fill pump and not the aerator pump?

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The Hydro should only bubble water in well. Aerator is also the fill. Aerator is sort of a mis-name, as it’s function besides fill (on manual) is to bring fresh water in from lake and send it back via the overflow.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    The Hydro should only bubble water in well. Aerator is also the fill. Aerator is sort of a mis-name, as it’s function besides fill (on manual) is to bring fresh water in from lake and send it back via the overflow.
    Ok, so I'm thinking the bottom left switch and the Hydro switch are wired wrong? I don't have a timer for the "Aerator" (fill) switch, but I do for the "Hydro" (recirc) switch. I guess it would be pretty easy to add a timer to that switch to restore stock functionality.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Looking at my 98 manual, it's not real clear if there are two timers or not. In earlier models, the same timer was utilized for both Aerate (Fill) and Hydro (Recirculate). Auto position for each switch runs through the timer and the Manual position bypasses the timer and runs the pump continuously. If there are two timers, it would appear that the Aerate timer is fixed and probably a module behind the switch panel. I would need to get behind the switch panel to see for sure. bukfevr, does the knob on your Hydro switch also control the time for the Aerate in Auto mode?

So, there are two ways to manage your livewell. One is to fill the livewell with the Aerate to the desired level. Then switch on the Hydro to recirculate the water. This is the most common especially during hot months when you may have livewell treatment and ice in there to control the water temp. Here in TX in the summer months it's common for surface temps to be in the mid to upper 90s, so it's standard practice for me to cool down and treat the water in my livewell. The other method is to use the Aerate to fill the livewell then switch the Aerate switch to Auto. This will, like Lea said, draw in fresh lake water when the timer turns the pump on and excess will exit via the overflow. I use this up until about May when I switch over to the closed method, then will use it again in the fall after the surface water has cooled to 70° or less.

Leasure Lectronics makes a couple of different variable timers that could be used to replace the one you're missing. https://www.ebay.com/i/173632441147?...SABEgKAPfD_BwE

One thing I did note was an option for pumpout shown in one of the livewell plumbing diagrams, but no switch on any of the schematics. All the Bilge switches were just on/off switches. So, I'm thinking that was added to yours by a previous owner.

Good Luck with your project! Holler if I can be of any asistance. I've got ~50yrs in electronics, DC & RF and pretty familiar with the systems in our Champs.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Looking at my 98 manual, it's not real clear if there are two timers or not. In earlier models, the same timer was utilized for both Aerate (Fill) and Hydro (Recirculate). Auto position for each switch runs through the timer and the Manual position bypasses the timer and runs the pump continuously. If there are two timers, it would appear that the Aerate timer is fixed and probably a module behind the switch panel. I would need to get behind the switch panel to see for sure. bukfevr, does the knob on your Hydro switch also control the time for the Aerate in Auto mode?

So, there are two ways to manage your livewell. One is to fill the livewell with the Aerate to the desired level. Then switch on the Hydro to recirculate the water. This is the most common especially during hot months when you may have livewell treatment and ice in there to control the water temp. Here in TX in the summer months it's common for surface temps to be in the mid to upper 90s, so it's standard practice for me to cool down and treat the water in my livewell. The other method is to use the Aerate to fill the livewell then switch the Aerate switch to Auto. This will, like Lea said, draw in fresh lake water when the timer turns the pump on and excess will exit via the overflow. I use this up until about May when I switch over to the closed method, then will use it again in the fall after the surface water has cooled to 70° or less.

Leasure Lectronics makes a couple of different variable timers that could be used to replace the one you're missing. https://www.ebay.com/i/173632441147?...SABEgKAPfD_BwE

One thing I did note was an option for pumpout shown in one of the livewell plumbing diagrams, but no switch on any of the schematics. All the Bilge switches were just on/off switches. So, I'm thinking that was added to yours by a previous owner.

Good Luck with your project! Holler if I can be of any asistance. I've got ~50yrs in electronics, DC & RF and pretty familiar with the systems in our Champs.
    Thank you so much for the info! That was super helpful.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewstn View Post
    So does your Hydro switch also control the livewell fill pump and not the aerator pump?

Yes, my hydro switch controls the fill of the live well.

10. Member
    Interesting... Could this be a 181 thing? Or our two boats just wired the wrong way?

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    They or at least bukfevr's appears to be wired incorrectly if it works as he's described. Here is the schematic for the Hydro Panel.

Hydro.jpg

Power comes into the panel through the orange wire, connects to the Manual contact of the switch and also to the 12v input to the timer. Ground or -12v comes to the panel through the black wire. The brown wire is the output of the panel to the Hydro pump and is connected to the wiper of the switch. In Manual, 12v come in on the orange and is routed to the brown. In Auto, power is removed from the brown wire at the switch and the switch makes the connection between the brown wire to from the timer and the brown wire to the pump.

Here is the wiring harness for the boat

Harness.jpg

The 3 pin connector in the Hydro Panel picture connects to the 3 pin connector on the harness (yellow square). The Aerate switch has a similar circuit as above. The switch panel containing the Aerate switch plugs into the harness with the 15 pin connector to the left of the red square. The Aerate switch in the Auto position, switches 12v to the timer through the red wire from pin 10 of the connector (AER Auto). Power to the pump is output from the timer shown as the red wire going to the left of the schematic to the AER Pump. In the Manual position, 12v is applied from pin 4 of the 15 pin connector (AER Man) via the blue line to the output of the timer and to the pump. So, as you can see, the circuits for the Aerate and Hydro pumps are separate.

12. Member
    They or at least bukfevr's appears to be wired incorrectly if it works as he's described. Here is the schematic for the Hydro Panel.

Hydro.jpg

Power comes into the panel through the orange wire, connects to the Manual contact of the switch and also to the 12v input to the timer. Ground or -12v comes to the panel through the black wire. The brown wire is the output of the panel to the Hydro pump and is connected to the wiper of the switch. In Manual, 12v come in on the orange and is routed to the brown. In Auto, power is removed from the brown wire at the switch and the switch makes the connection between the brown wire to from the timer and the brown wire to the pump.

Here is the wiring harness for the boat

Harness.jpg

The 3 pin connector in the Hydro Panel picture connects to the 3 pin connector on the harness (yellow square). The Aerate switch has a similar circuit as above. The switch panel containing the Aerate switch plugs into the harness with the 15 pin connector to the left of the red square. The Aerate switch in the Auto position, switches 12v to the timer through the red wire from pin 10 of the connector (AER Auto). Power to the pump is output from the timer shown as the red wire going to the left of the schematic to the AER Pump. In the Manual position, 12v is applied from pin 4 of the 15 pin connector (AER Man) via the blue line to the output of the timer and to the pump. So, as you can see, the circuits for the Aerate and Hydro pumps are separate.
    Thank you for taking the time to post that. That is very helpful. I am going to fix mine so that the aerator switch does Auto / Man for livewell fill pump, and the hydro switch does Auto / Man for the livewell recirc pump. I am considering also upgrading my switches to custom etched backlit switches from New Wire Marine / Rocker Switch Pros. This should eliminate further confusion when I ask someone else in the boat to hit a switch and they say, "uhhhh... which one?"

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I'm building a switch panel to replace my MegaLink on my 07. I had Rocker Switch Pros do the custom switch covers for me. Very easy to work with and very attentive to each customer. First Class operation IMHO.

Switch Panel.jpg

14. Member
    I'm building a switch panel to replace my MegaLink on my 07. I had Rocker Switch Pros do the custom switch covers for me. Very easy to work with and very attentive to each customer. First Class operation IMHO.

Switch Panel.jpg
    Wow.... that is a thing of beauty!!!

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Mark Miller at Select Marine Products produced the panel, switches and covers came from Rocket Switch Pros. The functions and layout match the MegaLink keypad. I need to wire it up to mate with the wiring harness. Hope to start that this weekend.

16. Member
    I was wrong, as I have already told TxChamp in PM. My Aerate switch fills my livewell and the hydro switch pumps air. I checked it out yesterday as I was fishing. Sorry for the mistake.

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I was wrong, as I have already told TxChamp in PM. My Aerate switch fills my livewell and the hydro switch pumps air. I checked it out yesterday as I was fishing. Sorry for the mistake.
    No worries!

18. Member
    I’m building new switch panels, just got the switches and breakers in from Rocker Switch Pros. I went ahead and got custom covers for the Hydro and Aerator switches, and got a custom one for my livewell pumpout/bilge switch. Currently 3d printing some mockup panels to test fit everything before I order the actual panels. I found a guy that CNC mills carbon fiber for quadcopters, and he is going to cut out the panels from 1.5mm carbon fiber sheets. I am wiring it so that either nav light switch at the bow or console will backlight all switches when pressed. Pretty excited!
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Member
    794E14E2-9181-499E-9EEC-6BD8DFDD33D7.jpeg01C091F1-FD99-4FD1-951C-D7468AF76B6B.jpegQuick update for anyone interested.. I 3d printed mockups of each panel. Here’s the main panel. Originally I was going to keep the factory switch layout, but realized I could get the “hydro” switch and timer on the main panel. I will only have my Vexilar flashed control knob on the small panel where the “hydro” switch and timer was, with room for a future power pole wireless switch. I adjusted the dimensions slightly to fit one more breaker in there, which will be for the dual USB charger that I currently have wired straight to the battery. That way it will be a switched load like everything else. Stay tuned for more updates.

20. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Looks good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast