Thread: Iowa Techniques

Iowa Techniques

So lets say you are fishing all over Iowa, what would you say are the most proven techniques here in Iowa.
    I know you can use any technique anywhere but curious what tools are needed to combat the common structure an cover in most Iowa lakes.

Spinnerbait, squarebill, deep crank how about punching?

2. Member
    Depends on time of year and the lakes you fish. Around here in northeast Iowa here’s what I usually have going by season
    Early spring- jerkbaits, wiggle wart, jigs,swimbaits, Ned rig, lipless and blade baits
    prespawn- spinnerbait, chatterbait, lipless, squarebill, plastics around cover, senko and topwaters if conditions are right
    spawn- hollow bodied frogs, sight fishing plastics and hard swimbaits, senkos and wacky worms
    post spawn- topwater, wacky rig, drop shot, and fishing swimbaits and jigs around bluegill beds
    summer- topwater, drop shot, flippin, big worms and jigs offshore. Other moving baits can work well too
    fall- spinnerbait, cranking, chatterbait, topwater, lipless
    late fall into winter- jigs, blade baits, ned rig, Shad raps, hair jigs, tubes, jerkbaits. Spinnerbait can work well too if conditions are right. Hard head jigs are also good
    These are staples for me during these seasons under typical conditions. There’s no one size fits all. Just some general stuff that’s worked for me and where I fish. Some of the southern Iowa reservoirs the deep cranking could definitely come into play more than what I see around here

I can only speak for western Iowa (both north and south) but I think a frog, chatterbait, senko, and jig (flipping, football, and swim versions) cover basically all of it. Those baits mimic bluegills so well and that is the forage nearly anywhere you go in the state.

4. Member
    Can't beat a Texas or Carolina rig and a wobble head jig for numbers and quality. Big worms, creature baits and senkos will catch.
    John the Garage Doorman

5. Banned
    A jig has won more tournaments than any other bait across the whole state. That's probably why I don't win many tournaments as well

6. Member
    Eastern iowa and specifically river I'd say spinnerbait, chattebait, crankbait, flipping jig, swim jig, buzzbait, frog and some soft plastics should just about cover it. Lol in all seriousness I'd say here and just about everywhere flipping a jig is probably the most common. Wether its wood, docks or grass lines. A good flipping jig will produce just about everywhere. My personal choice because I have a ton of confidence in it is a bladed jig. I honestly think I could catch fish ok that thing literally anywhere or any time of year.

7. Member
    Jack

8. Member
    Always have a 3/8oz jig, a 4" flipping tube and bladed jig ready.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Buzzbait. But note that I moved from Iowa in 1980 so my opinion is a bit dated.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Jig, I throw a jig 80% of the time