Good jig starting points, type and weight?

Please don’t think I’m asking for your go to jig. I am not expecting any answers along the likes of 1/2 ounce game city sledge head in Cumberland craw. I am looking for general starting head types and weight.

I fish Cumberland and Green as a co angler. Do not own a boat yet. I’ve always gravitated towards using senkos and shakey heads. Lost confidence in the jig. Been using a common local brand 3/8 size in a small finesse skirt.

Being in the back of the boat should I go heavier? Since the boater is usually ahead and by the time mine hits structure we are already pulling away etc.

thanks!

2. Banned
    You are on the right track. Going heavier will let you fish a little faster to keep up with boater. My favorite weight is 1/2 oz whether I’m in front or back. Sometimes the fish want a slower falling bait though. Just try and watch where the boater casts and hit the spots he misses.

3. Member
    1/2oz is a good all around size. A smaller compact trailer will give you a faster fall and a big bulkier trailer will obviously slow it down. Have someone take you out fun fishing and only take jigs and a selection of trailers. I prefer D&L jigs by the way. Good luck

4. Member
    3/8 & 1/2 oz. badboy jigs are what i use myself simply because they're a pretty good snag resistant head. I have several different molds that i make different styles of trailers with. Buy some in both weights to try, but 1/2 oz. with different styles of trailers to adjust for a different fall rate would be a good place to start. Usually something like the zoom swimmin chunk will get more hits, but in colder water a lot of times they want less movement & this is where something like the small zoom chunk usually works out pretty good. Craws are always popular as a jig trailer too. I have fished 3/4 ounce jigs to get deep quick & have good feel & it worked out pretty good, but i'm talking getting down to 50 to 60 or so feet in a hurry on Dale Hollow in summer.
    Last edited by Les Young; 01-04-2020 at 10:36 AM.

5. Member
    Do you use full size jigs or drop down to a finesse and/or baby version? I’ve always thrown the finesse size hoping for more bites.

6. Banned
    Size or bulk depends on water color for me. Honestly I don’t see a difference though. Caught many smallmouth on mop jigs in clear water.

If you’re not an avid jig user try some bitsy bugs jigs from Wal mart 3/16oz and on that. I’m partial to the paca craw as a trailer and I nose hook it to get a freer action. I’ve caught a lot of fish on jigs but the bitsy bug is where it started. I wouldn’t go heavier just because your in the back seat. It would depend on the depth of the structure.
    Last edited by Stoner; 01-05-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

8. Member
    Another way to separate yourself from your boater is to throw a 3/8 to 1/2 oz (black/blue) swim jig with a good craw trailer at anything and everything that looks good. Its something different, and a lot of people still don't fish them for some reason. Plus they catch big fish. Look up Jason Christie's win at Dardanelle a few years back to get a general idea on how to fish one. Great video of him slaying them in some water willow.