Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How has everyone that deer hunts season went?

Have not seen anyone post anything about deer hunting this year. As for my boys and I we have done a lot of deer watching. We have gotten to the point that we hunt trophies only. Which makes or kill ratio to hunting trip a laugh. Out of twenty to thirty bucks we have seen at a glance or have pics of we have 4 on our hit list. We have ten stands and 15 cameras we keep going. More work than I like but I still enjoy it somewhat. Mainly because of my boys and best friends. I have not pulled the trigger a time but the thought of 3 twenty inch deer and one estimated at 24 patrolling or property will make me stay at it. The average shooter here is 16-18 inches so it’s not like hunting in the northern states.

We saw lots of deer on our lease but no shots presented themself. We took our 6 year old and he can’t sit very long. Big 10 and a big 9 both showed up on camera right after we left. I guess you could say we traded a chance for shots to introduce our son to hunting and I’m good with that. We will get a big one next year

3. Banned
    Cant complain....working on getting my 11yr old his first. Buck fever is strong on this kid!

My son shot his first deer this year, but for me it's been a zero.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    My boy (11) killed a pretty good one, we seen lots. I have not killed a deer in 3 years but love to watch him.

It was successful this season, my 83 yr old dad got one. I had a nice couple days of sleeping in the elevated blind. Every deer is like Christmas for a 5 year old for him, and he is in triple digits with deer. I get to gut and drag, butcher. I would not have it another way 4 days at the Cabin with him is the trophy I get.

Decent ten during rifle season, not a record by any means but a solid buck for this area. Dropped a nice coyote with my crossbow.

8. Member
    Only time I have to hunt is early in the season before fall harvest,so I bow hunt on and off mid September till about first week in October. I'm not fussy doe or buck my wife and I eat 1 deer up a year. I bought my first ground blind with shoot through netting about 15-20 years ago and they have made bow hunting so easy for me and comfortable it's almost like cheating....The last year I didn't shoot a deer was 1998.

Worked too much overtime to hunt this past season. Only heard of a couple nice ones. Most had a horrible season here.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

10. Banned
    We still have 22 does and 45 bucks to kill on our management program. I killed a 307 a few weeks back and 268 net typical in my HF place, all pasture raised deer, no small pen type thing. One of my hunters killed an upper 180 low fence deer Monday evening.

11. Member
    I had a great season and my son did as well. We both got our personal best.A95CA401-65D8-46F0-B8A3-FFA086E7CFCF.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Javelin387; 01-02-2020 at 01:18 PM.

12. Banned
    Hunted all of october archery hard and got a doe, haven't hunted myself much since but took the kids on some youth hunts. Don't need any more meat and kinda hard to get motivated after I fill the freezer as I don't shoot a buck (except cull spikes) unless they're bigger that the largest I have, and the bar was set very high 6 years ago.

13. Member
    I had a pretty good season. Saw quite a few deer during bow and gun season. Finally pulled the trigger on a ten pointer during gun season. Not a monster by any means but I was happy with him. I had to pass an eight the next day that may have been bigger since I didn't have another buck tag. All in all, a good season.

14. Member
    Not sure if it was intentional, but deer hunting has changed for me over the last two or three years. I still love to go, but just don't enjoy the actual kill like when I was younger. I get more pleasure just watching them do their thing in their environment. I passed four good bucks this year - two 10's, a 9 and an 8. They were all in the 125 to 140 class. That's good, not great, for middle TN. I played the "shoot or no shoot" game in my mind on each one, but ended up letting them walk. If I needed meat, I would shoot a doe or scrub buck. Don't get me wrong, if I see a true giant I will pull the trigger, but otherwise I am content to let them grow and see what they might turn out to be next year.

15. Member
    I got a 7 point buck and a Doe. Not a Bad season for me, I ain't a trophy hunter. So any legal Buck is good for me.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

Just missed a big one the other night. He sure would have boogered up the car

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Have not seen anyone post anything about deer hunting this year. As for my boys and I we have done a lot of deer watching. We have gotten to the point that we hunt trophies only. Which makes or kill ratio to hunting trip a laugh. Out of twenty to thirty bucks we have seen at a glance or have pics of we have 4 on our hit list. We have ten stands and 15 cameras we keep going. More work than I like but I still enjoy it somewhat. Mainly because of my boys and best friends. I have not pulled the trigger a time but the thought of 3 twenty inch deer and one estimated at 24 patrolling or property will make me stay at it. The average shooter here is 16-18 inches so it’s not like hunting in the northern states.
    What is a 16-18" deer? or "3 twenty inch deer and esitmated at 24"? I am guessing spread which makes no sense to me.

18. Member
    Freezer crashed so I didn’t hunt without a place to put the meat. Maybe I will have everything squared away next season.
    Praying for a Cure

Archery (buck or doe): blanked, saw no deer in range.
    Rifle (buck): blanked, saw no bucks.
    Muzzleloader/late archery: I carry the muzzleloader to up my odds of getting a deer. Season is only 9 days and I hunt 4 of them. Got a doe on my last weekend to hunt with one day to spare.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

20. Member
    Zero fro me, oldest son shot a 8 point 3 weeks ago with a crossbow.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast