Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos273v View Post
    What is a 16-18" deer? or "3 twenty inch deer and esitmated at 24"? I am guessing spread which makes no sense to me.
    Width is what he’s talking about.

Freezer is full. 7 yr old shot his 2nd and 3rd deer this year, a doe and button buck. I shot a nice 10 with 6.5 Creed. On to squirrels and coyote for me. Least amount of deer tagged by myself in years. With junior moving up I'll leave the freezer filling to him.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    We still have 22 does and 45 bucks to kill on our management program. I killed a 307 a few weeks back and 268 net typical in my HF place, all pasture raised deer, no small pen type thing. One of my hunters killed an upper 180 low fence deer Monday evening.
    Will you be my new best friend?
    Joey Aderhold

4. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Wife and I each got a buck.

We still have 22 does and 45 bucks to kill on our management program. I killed a 307 a few weeks back and 268 net typical in my HF place, all pasture raised deer, no small pen type thing. One of my hunters killed an upper 180 low fence deer Monday evening.
    What do you do will all the meat?

6. Banned
    Width is what he’s talking about.
    doesn't make any sense. I killed a 14-3/4" inside spread buck this year. I guess he wouldn't even be looked at on their property. He grossed just 159", 14 points. The Tucker buck killed in gallatin couple years ago, over 300", just over 14" inside spread. Just wonder how people determine what deer to kill? The tucker buck is a multi million dollar deer.

Got two. One with my truck, small buck whos buttons hadn't even broken the skin. The other we watched get hit by another motorist. Took both and salvaged a ton of meat. No need to shoot one this year, freezers full!
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

I took a small basket rack buck the first season and a relative harvested a doe on our property. Most of it is bottom ground along the kaskaskia river and we had extended flooding this spring early summer that pushed most of the deer out. We did have great weather for both seasons.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    What do you do will all the meat?
    My dad has a group of men at his church that grind it into hamburger meat and take a couple thousand pounds to the Mexico border and donate it to an orphanage. We donate a bunch to a regional food bank, hunters for the hungry etc. no deer goes to waste.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin387 View Post
    I had a great season and my son did as well. We both got our personal best.Attachment 388515
    Son and yourself look very happy! You should! Both great deer. A great deer can be many sizes depending on where you hunt. Those would both be very good deer here. Tell your son congrats. He is hooked for life.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    We saw lots of deer on our lease but no shots presented themself. We took our 6 year old and he can’t sit very long. Big 10 and a big 9 both showed up on camera right after we left. I guess you could say we traded a chance for shots to introduce our son to hunting and I’m good with that. We will get a big one next year
    You did good as you are spending time with the next generation teaching them the way to survive and the right way to do it. I have missed several mounts this year by getting down to soon or picking the wrong stand. Why they call it hunting instead of killing!

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos273v View Post
    doesn't make any sense. I killed a 14-3/4" inside spread buck this year. I guess he wouldn't even be looked at on their property. He grossed just 159", 14 points. The Tucker buck killed in gallatin couple years ago, over 300", just over 14" inside spread. Just wonder how people determine what deer to kill? The tucker buck is a multi million dollar deer.
    Makes sense to me, he said 3 20 inch deer and so on. If he’s talking about Score inches 20 couldn’t be much more than a spike.

I ate my buck tag this year (archery) and missed one doe. Still trying to get some meat till the end of the month. I learned the hard way that "no-line" bifocals and a small peep site don't do well together. Shot right under her and between her front legs!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    It was successful this season, my 83 yr old dad got one. I had a nice couple days of sleeping in the elevated blind. Every deer is like Christmas for a 5 year old for him, and he is in triple digits with deer. I get to gut and drag, butcher. I would not have it another way 4 days at the Cabin with him is the trophy I get.
    I feel the same! Always pick what I think is the best spot for whichever son is going with me. Yeah, I do the dirty work also but don’t mind it. I put my sons in the best stand last year every trip. I wound up killing 3 bucks. Felt kind of bad about it but my middle son finally scored with a 19” eight point. His best so far.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 597fitter View Post
    Cant complain....working on getting my 11yr old his first. Buck fever is strong on this kid!
    Are you seeing plenty deer? We seem to have a lot more deer in general this year. Just hard to catch up to a mountable size one. Around here that is 120 score or better.

16. Member
    pics please! I understand you live in Texas but that’s extremely big even for that state. Deer that get high protein supplement can always get bigger. All our hunting is open range. There is only a few fenced areas around here that have deer. They are usually with cattle.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertboyd View Post
    Not sure if it was intentional, but deer hunting has changed for me over the last two or three years. I still love to go, but just don't enjoy the actual kill like when I was younger. I get more pleasure just watching them do their thing in their environment. I passed four good bucks this year - two 10's, a 9 and an 8. They were all in the 125 to 140 class. That's good, not great, for middle TN. I played the "shoot or no shoot" game in my mind on each one, but ended up letting them walk. If I needed meat, I would shoot a doe or scrub buck. Don't get me wrong, if I see a true giant I will pull the trigger, but otherwise I am content to let them grow and see what they might turn out to be next year.
    kind of what I have been doing except this year the bigger ones have just plain outsmarted me. We usually kill two does or a basket rack deer for meat. Usually let my boys take care of that task.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    pics please! I understand you live in Texas but that’s extremely big even for that state. Deer that get high protein supplement can always get bigger. All our hunting is open range. There is only a few fenced areas around here that have deer. They are usually with cattle.
    No sir those are actually small, 4-500 inches are common, friend of mine in central Texas has one over 600 inches. I have hell posting pictures but will PM you. Our management program is low fence, always have way too many numbers.

19. Member
    My dad has a group of men at his church that grind it into hamburger meat and take a couple thousand pounds to the Mexico border and donate it to an orphanage. We donate a bunch to a regional food bank, hunters for the hungry etc. no deer goes to waste.
    Good man your dad is!

20. Moderator
    My 7 yo killed his first deer (85 pd doe) on youth weekend I’ve been watching since then. Off all week next week hoping to have an opportunity with one of the cull bucks or if I am lucky one of the bigger deer that live on our lease

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast