Older boat rebuild questions

So have been watching tiny boat nation videos on youtube and was thinking of tackling a project like this next winter but want to start planning now and had a lot of questions for anyone who took on a project like this before. I was thinking a smaller 12-14 foot boat John or row boat with a small engine that can be removed easily as well as room on the back for electric only lakes and a trolling motor up front as well.

1. How long does an entire strip apart and remake take? I know it is relative to cost and building skills
    2. Price for parts and materials excluding motor, electronic etc?
    3. Importance aspects to consider? (how much foam? conduit for running wires? Installing rod locker/tubes?
    4. How manageable of a task is this for someone relatively handy?
    5. What kind of tools required? Especially specialized tools besides miter saw, table saw, drill, etc?
    6. Any additional advice?

2. Member
    I built mine from a hull a couple of years ago. The basic build took about 2 months between ordering stuff and having weekends and odd evenings at it. If you are looking at smaller jon boats make sure they're wider bottomed ones for stability and weight carrying capacity. A 1236 would be pretty marginal with a bit of decking and batteries etc. Typically they have pretty low sides.

0508-2018-0927246889808361371 (2).jpeg

3. Member
    My advice is to not even consider a 12', a 14' is really pushing it with the list you already started.

4. Member
    Why is that? Too small?

Yup.....Get at least a 16' boat.

I was a little hesitant when I purchased my 2006 Tracker Grizzly 1860, thought it would be too big but I got if for a leftover price.

The best part is you get to build a boat the way you want it. Mine has no livewell or rod box because I don't need them.

I still have it. Does what I need it to do. Built it from the ground up.

My advice to you is plan on spending a lot of money with many trips to Home Depot or Lowes.

Stainless steel hardware, angle and box aluminum, marine plywood, bilge pumps, carpet, rivets, hoses, carpet glue, fittings, wire, lugs, tie wraps, electronics, etc. all add up quick.

2006 Tracker Grizzly 1860 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Grizzly; 01-03-2020 at 07:43 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Yup.....Get at least a 16' boat.

I was a little hesitant when I purchased my 2006 Tracker Grizzly 1860, thought it would be too big but I got if for a leftover price.

The best part is you get to build a boat the way you want it. Mine has no livewell or rod box because I don't need them.

I still have it. Does what I need it to do. Built it from the ground up.

My advice to you is plan on spending a lot of money with many trips to Home Depot or Lowes.

Stainless steel hardware, angle and box aluminum, marine plywood, bilge pumps, carpet, rivets, hoses, carpet glue, fittings, wire, lugs, tie wraps, electronics, etc. all add up quick.

2006 Tracker Grizzly 1860 (2).jpg
    Nice looking boat.

7. Member
    Attachment 391556 cwenbass, this was my winter project a few years ago. This is a 1987 16' Grumman 1649. I can't give you any idea what i got wrapped up in doing it. I completely stripped the boat to include all new wire. i used regular 2x4's for all the frame work, because aluminum would have been to expensive. I used regular plywood (1/2" and 3/4") because of the cost. All the wood was painted with enamuel paint. Grizzly is right that you should look for a 16' boat. You will get more stability from a 16' boat. Doing something like this add's a good bit of weight, but I love it. I know you can't see it but there are 15 rods on this boat, it will hold 20 rods all under the deck. I use the mostly for electric only lakes, i do have an 20hp for it.