Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    I can kind of grasp your heat theory, but I really need to know how running lower than max pressure will de-rate a tires load rating? I would think that running lower than max pressure does not reduce it's total load rating, just the load it can carry at that pressure. Seems to me that a quality LRC tire would suffice for most bass boats on a tandem and a LRD at the recommended pressure just gives that added reassurance. Have used the pressure required method for years and currently have a few trailers myself. Only trailer tire issue I have had was about 35 yrs ago on a trailer I had recently obtained.
    It doesn't really change the "rating" on the tire but does change the MAX load of the tire. No one has a bass boat on here that is going to need to run max pressure for max load with a duel axle trailer as most are rated around 1800+ lbs per tire. The reason most all run "D"s (if they know it or not) is most all D load tires have more ply's which makes them stronger and be able to carry more weight.

There is always so much good info on this site but just saying "I run max pressure for 2 yrs" doesn't mean that is what is right. Run what the trailer tag says UNLESS you have upgraded to a non stock option. If you have go by the manufactures pressure chart for the max weight of your trailer. See the attached chart you don't need more than 35-40 psi for a bass boat trailer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Member
    Used to be if you argued your point and proved it. The other party ( the one arguing ) would then change the way see it and start to argue your point. Because it was correct and proven. That does not seem to happen much anymore.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

so every single 3/4 or one ton truck is doing it wrong because there isnt 80 psi in the front tires? or there isnt 80 psi in the duals?!!!!!??!!!!! no need for four tires at 65 psi on a bass boat and no one should be buying the E class tire for the psi but rather the over built quality tire it is. no need, none. over inflation can make it slide out if you wiggle on the wheel for a deer. or skid when the tires lock up easier than they should. or wear the center out as they look like motorcycle tires when you dont have the weight to lay them flat
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    The vehicle manufacturer establishes what the required tire pressure is regardless of the tire specs. The vehicle manufacturer will design the vehicle with a specific tire pressure included in the suspension and overall vehicle design. This is why the required tire pressure is put on your trailer, on the door post of your car. It's not tire specific - provided you have compatible tires, it's vehicle specific.

Yes, you sir are correct.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    The vehicle manufacturer establishes what the required tire pressure is regardless of the tire specs. The vehicle manufacturer will design the vehicle with a specific tire pressure included in the suspension and overall vehicle design. This is why the required tire pressure is put on your trailer, on the door post of your car. It's not tire specific - provided you have compatible tires, it's vehicle specific.
    IF,,you use same size and rated tires. Change any of it and manufacturer recommendations are basically moot.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Why would you not run what it says on the side?

This. And why would someone think someone else's tires are the same?
    Last edited by toofy; 01-06-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    This. And why would someone think someone else's tires are the same?
    This is exactly why I contacted Goodyear. Way too much differing opinions. Goodyear specifically said not to run maximum pressure in their tires and sent me a weight chart.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    Thanks CHE for the credible information and citing your source in post #5. Here is a link to the inflation chart cited in your Goodyear email.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
    Thank you sir.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

9. Member
    Folks I have been messing with tires for decades, Run max pressure, especially on trailer. Remember the firestone and ford fiasco? You are far better off running close to max pressure on ALL tires. I have a SUV, GMC, it calls for far less than tire is rated for. Started wearing on sides, low inflation. I upped pressure 10 PSI, actually to rated pressure on tire, guess what, wears even now.....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Folks I have been messing with tires for decades, Run max pressure, especially on trailer. Remember the firestone and ford fiasco? You are far better off running close to max pressure on ALL tires. I have a SUV, GMC, it calls for far less than tire is rated for. Started wearing on sides, low inflation. I upped pressure 10 PSI, actually to rated pressure on tire, guess what, wears even now.....
    I had OE Carlisle and ran them at max pressure as recommended from a lot on this board. The middle of the tires wore and they were 5 years old. Instead of waiting for problems, I went ahead and bought 4 endurance tires, contacted Goodyear as I posted in #5 and am following the manufacturers recommendation. 35psi in all 4 tires, over 3,000 miles and not a problem. At least 2 people ay Goodyear said they do not recommend maximum PSI in their tires.
    Last edited by CHECrappie; 01-06-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

11. Member
    As stated above, tire pressure is load dependant. Adjust your tire pressure to match the load it is carrying. The chart posted earlier is a great example.

There is no one-fits-all tire pressure. The recommended pressure by the vehicle manufacturer applies to the type and load range of tire it was designed for. If you change to a different load range tire, as the O.P. did, it is absolutely correct to contact the tire manufacturer and adjust pressures in your tire for the load they will be carrying.
    This also applies to large changes in vehicle load.

If your tire pressures are too high, you will end up with excessive wear down the middle of the tread. (And a rough ride)

If your tire pressures are too low, you will wear more on the shoulders of the tread, have a "mushy" ride, and create a lot more heat. Also, reduced fuel mileage.

When in question, it is always safer to err on the high side. (Obviously without exceeding the tires max pressure. If you need more pressure than the tire is specs for, you need to go up in load range)
    The excessive heat caused by low tire pressure is a major cause of blowouts.

Tire pressure is one of the most important (and often neglected) aspects to any vehicle. Truck and trailer alike.
    Check tire pressure before every trip.
    Inspect your tires on a regular basis.
    Keep an eye on the wear pattern. If your pressure is off, it will show up here.
    Or, take it to a professional. A good tire guy can get you all lined out.
    Last edited by SamMule; 01-08-2020 at 03:36 PM.

12. Member
    My Stratos trailer is labeled for 50 PSI for a single axle but is a tandem trailer. Any thoughts on what would be the correct pressure for the tandem?

Thanks, Bill
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

Quote Originally Posted by Williep99 View Post
    My Stratos trailer is labeled for 50 PSI for a single axle but is a tandem trailer. Any thoughts on what would be the correct pressure for the tandem?

Thanks, Bill
    Figure out your boats weight, divide by 4 and use the chart listed above to find out the psi
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    As stated above, tire pressure is load dependant. Adjust your tire pressure to match the load it is carrying. The chart posted earlier is a great example.

There is no one-fits-all tire pressure. The recommended pressure by the vehicle manufacturer applies to the type and load range of tire it was designed for. If you change to a different load range tire, as the O.P. did, it is absolutely correct to contact the tire manufacturer and adjust pressures in your tire for the load they will be carrying.
    This also applies to large changes in vehicle load.

If your tire pressures are too high, you will end up with excessive wear down the middle of the tread. (And a rough ride)

If your tire pressures are too low, you will wear more on the shoulders of the tread, have a "mushy" ride, and create a lot more heat. Also, reduced fuel mileage.

When in question, it is always safer to err on the high side. (Obviously without exceeding the tires max pressure. If you need more pressure than the tire is specs for, you need to go up in load range)
    The excessive heat caused by low tire pressure is a major cause of blowouts.

Tire pressure is one of the most important (and often neglected) aspects to any vehicle. Truck and trailer alike.
    Check tire pressure before every trip.
    Inspect your tires on a regular basis.
    Keep an eye on the wear pattern. If your pressure is off, it will show up here.
    Or, take it to a professional. A good tire guy can get you all lined out.
    ^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
    BUT Good luck finding a professional!
    CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

15. Member
    If you guys want to run your tires under inflated thats up to you
    Looking at your chart if you upgrade your tires to D range like I did than your chart calls for 65PSI

16. Member
    Remember this is cold tire pressure not hot. So if you look at the chart provided earlier you would see that for example at 60 psi I could support 2380 pounds per tire so 2380 x 4=9,520 pounds so a full boat trailer gear comes in say 4500 pounds = 1,125 pounds per tire which is 50% of the load capabilities. So to me running 60\65 PSI is the way to go. Also where I get my tires the owner runs a big Ranger which is much heavier than my Phoenix and he always runs max cold pressure on sidewalls with no issues. JMTSW
    Risen From The Ashes!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    ^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
    BUT Good luck finding a professional!
    CJ
    Hahaha. No kidding. Finding a good tire guy is like looking for a needle in a haystack. They are out there though!

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have had my Endurance tires on my single axle trailer and have been very happy with them, running 65lbs it tracks much straighter and with less sway than my old Carlilses. I'm very happy with them and there are wearing good so far no more bounce than before also even with higher pressure.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

19. Member
    Im really happy with the Goodyear Endurance tires as well. On my 4th year and will change them out at the end of the recommended warranty with another set. I like the fact that they don't blow out and ruin my boat fenders like the chinese made Carlisle's have done on two separate occasions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12