rectangle inset in bilge . 2003 20XD

Don't know how to title this but anyway my question: There is a rectangle recess 3 or 4 inches right of center line where my through the hull transducer is mounted. In the corner of this area is a round area about 1-1/2 inch in diameter. There is a round puck glued there that seems to give information for temperature to my Lowrance Elite-5 DSI. I can't see any place that this puck attaches to the Elite 5, though I guess it must? It came loose a while back and temperature reading quit working, glued it back and the temperature is working again. My Elite 5 has a bad transducer and quit working.
    My plan is to replace it with a Hook 5X with the splitshot transducer which I will glue back in the rectangle "well". Does anybody know if the Hook 5X reads water temperature and where it gets its information?

Temp reading only works with accuracy if the ducer is in the water, Not in the boat. Many temp sensors are seperate of the ducer and mounted on the transom or jackplate under the waters surface.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    What I thought too. When that puck was in place the temp was very accurate I just don't understand how it worked?

4. Member
    There is a puck transducer with a temp sensor that comes out of it, you just run the cable out the back of the boat and mount it, I have one on mine

5. Member
    My puck was glued down over an embedded circular place in the rectangular well in the bible area. I am not sure what you mean Bullet250. Excuse my ignorance.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    My puck was glued down over an embedded circular place in the rectangular well in the bible area. I am not sure what you mean Bullet250. Excuse my ignorance.
    When you change transducers the circle area was from the old transducer , you need to use a 3" abrasive disc and grind out the gel till the rectangular area is all flat then glue down your puck (pucks), run a separate temp probe on the inside of the jack plate down low or network with the front unit and have a temp probe on the TM ,
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

7. Member
    The circle area had a puck glued to it that appeared to give temperature to the helm unit. Please understand I don't understand how it worked.
    This I know, my temperature indication quit working. I pulled the tank for another reason. I found the puck had come loose from that circle in the well. Cleaned every thing up glued it back down and temperature indication started working. About a year later it quit again. I pulled the tank again to prepare the well for a new unit and it was loose again. I would be glad to text some pictures. The old transducer is about an inch wide by about 4 inches long. I have no idea how that round puck worked thus my question. In fact I can find no connection between that puck and the old unit.
    My old unit only has one multi pin connector with power cable and transducer cable going to that one multi pin connector.

8. Member
    I don't know how your temp was working with a temp sensor in the puck, should not read through the hull, look on Lowrance's parts website and you'll see the transducer that I have, looks just like a regular one, but has another cable coming out the side that has the temp sensor on it

9. Member
    Bullet I totally agree. I am going to make some phone calls tomorrow to get some info.
    Not really important as I plan to purchase a Hook 5X with the split shot transducer. I will glue it in. I only need to know if temperature is available and how to do it. I have read quite a bit on glueing in the ducer and will talk with the people I buy it from.
    Thank you for your reply

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    The circle area had a puck glued to it that appeared to give temperature to the helm unit. Please understand I don't understand how it worked.
    This I know, my temperature indication quit working. I pulled the tank for another reason. I found the puck had come loose from that circle in the well. Cleaned every thing up glued it back down and temperature indication started working. About a year later it quit again. I pulled the tank again to prepare the well for a new unit and it was loose again. I would be glad to text some pictures. The old transducer is about an inch wide by about 4 inches long. I have no idea how that round puck worked thus my question. In fact I can find no connection between that puck and the old unit.
    My old unit only has one multi pin connector with power cable and transducer cable going to that one multi pin connector.
    I had two Bullets that had transducers mounted in the hull bow section besides the rear ones , just a thought . If there was a temp sensor in a transducer I believe it would report a temp out of the water .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

If the ducer has a temp prob you’ll get a reading no matter where it’s at.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    Correct, but just can't believe it would be correct reading through the hull, but that would be nice!!

13. Banned
    I'd think after the hull sat in the water for a while you'd get an accurate temp reading... But in Spring when just a few degrees can determine success or failure I'm pretty sure it would take the hull too long to transmit those subtle temp changes... I know Humminbird offers a free transducer exchange with new units and would think the other manufacturers would offer something similar... Give the manufacturer a call and see what they'll do for you... Dan

14. Banned
    The hull is only about a 1/4" thick (if that) in that area.

15. Member
    I have decided to keep old unit and install new transducer, hopefully this fixes my problem. This rectangular depression is actually over the pad area which is quite thick. I am going to take a couple pictures and if I can text them to somebody to post I will. I can't post pictures.
    Let me add I understand what everybody is saying and mostly agree. I don't claim to understand, thus my question. I think I will glue the round puck back down while installing the new transducer even though I see no way it has anything to do with temperature reading.
    I will get a close-up of the rectangle with the round area in it and text pictures to anyone willing to post them.