On the water dead

Mercury 225 Pro XS, worked fine when unloading. Fished for an hour and a half, went to start it and it started but immediately died. Turns over but won’t start, checked kill switch and to make sure it is in neutral. Gear shifter is really stiff but it is in neutral. Turns over and smell gas but won’t fire. Two tanks half full so it is not gas. Any idea of what to try to get it started?

2. Member
    check fuses , possible bad coil
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks made it in on the trolling motor. I’ll make an appointment to have it checked out tomorrow.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As a friendly New Year Reminder- be sure to obtain/provide the Required info when posting. Thanks!

Likely a loss of spark, or fuel system problem that's flooding the engine (air compressor, Fuel Rail Diaphragm, Water in Fuel Sensor, etc).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Check in the fuse holder on the starboard side of the engine. If the 20 amp fuse is blown you have likely lost coil. Take a look at your coils closely and see if you see one either majorly discolored, cracked, or oozing white popcorn like material ( or likely all of the above ). Very easy DIY. Keep one in the boat incase the others start to go bad on you. If you have the funds, replace them all at once and keep one in the boat for back up. Best wishes.

6. Member
    I wanted to come back and report that it was a bad coil #5. Glad to have it repaired so I can get back on the water as soon as the weather clears up some.

7. Member
    thanks for the report back may help others that have same problem someday
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................