Basscat repower??

Has anyone re-powered a 2007 to 2010 Puma with the new V8 250 4 stroke?? I'm going to re-power my 07 and am wanting to hear thoughts on performance and pro and con's from the re-power. Thanks

2. Member
    I wouldn't even hesitate to do it. If your gonna keep the boat and you can afford the new engine, put it on.

3. Member
    Con would be you would have way more in the boat that it would be worth if you sold it. There are endless pros. I know bcb suggest looking at a new rig instead of repowering. Which is understandable. But for those that love their boat I understand their position as well.

4. Member
    My boat is in very nice shape.. One chip on one chine and thats it. spent its whole life in a heated garage, only used on Saturday for about 6 hrs. I own it out right, and nothing wrong with the 250 pro xs 2 stroke. I was going to buy new this winter, but realized I could repower much cheaper, and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the newer Pumas or Cougars.. I don't feel I would really be in the hole buy doing this, if you compare to new.. Of course only because of the condition of the boat.

I say DO IT.. not a BC owner but with the quality of there boats there's really nothing to worry about replacing but motor and electrical stuff.
    I repowered my last Allison 3 times.. Do good maintenance and you cant wear one out. So far I love this new V8.

Its been my finding that a newer motor on an old boat at resale is a plus.. The resale value is normally based on individual book price.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P.H.D View Post
    My boat is in very nice shape.. One chip on one chine and thats it. spent its whole life in a heated garage, only used on Saturday for about 6 hrs. I own it out right, and nothing wrong with the 250 pro xs 2 stroke. I was going to buy new this winter, but realized I could repower much cheaper, and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the newer Pumas or Cougars.. I don't feel I would really be in the hole buy doing this, if you compare to new.. Of course only because of the condition of the boat.
    they are great motors and if you decide to keep your boat it would be good. But all I was trying to really say was if you decide to sell or trade in in a year or so. The price you would need or want for the boat would be much more than what you could probably get. I’ve seen too many people repower with new motors and then try to sell their boat and it doesn’t or they take a huge hit. You can’t change the year of the boat and it can only bring so much money even with a new motor.
    but if you decide to keep it for a long time it would be a good motor for years to come

7. Member
    I think that you will be more than pleased with the performance of the new V8. You will likely need to drop down in prop pitch as well, so a new prop may be in the mix. It sounds like you love your boat and if you think that you will be keeping it for at least five years, then re-ppwer may be the answer for you. If your thinking is shorter term, than I would not do it. Keep in mind that the annual Merc promotion, where warranty is an extra two years, is on right now. Although Gold warranty, you can negotiate it into Platinum.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    I'd just run the 2 stroke till it had problems, 250 HP is still just 250 HP. Then again I don't have money to just spend.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    I'd just run the 2 stroke till it had problems, 250 HP is still just 250 HP. Then again I don't have money to just spend.
    I do have some money to spend, and I can still get some value out of the 2 stroke, towards the new motor.. In reality, I won't have a lot of money in it compared to a new boat..

10. Member
    Thanks for the input guys.. I do plan on keeping it for a while.. It will be a small monthly payment compared to a new boat.. Just need to find one..lol

Thanks for the input guys.. I do plan on keeping it for a while.. It will be a small monthly payment compared to a new boat.. Just need to find one..lol
    Are you having trouble locating one? I had thought it was loosening up a bit based on some posts and the re-power emails I keep getting from Mercury?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

12. Member

some listed here under engines I believe??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    No way in hell since there's nothing wrong with your motor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Are you having trouble locating one? I had thought it was loosening up a bit based on some posts and the re-power emails I keep getting from Mercury?
    Up here in the Northeast they are hard to come by.. I have found them, just have to have one shipped up this way... Marinas up this way have had them on order for 6 months and not seen them..