Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

"Recently changed my jackplate".
    "Same setback".
    "First trip out I was too high".
    "but guarantee my motor is not too high".

But...……..

"I’m just refusing to buy into the theory of motor height"

I don’t understand the implication. That I simply forgot first time. Sure and so what. That’s irrelevant at this point. I’ve double check myself multiple times since and I know how to measure PTP.

The quickest check you can perform is to lower the motor and it cost you nothing to do so
    Every motor and boat hull is a little different, does not matter what others do, the only thing that is importent is what your needs are.
    On any set up you must find out what is to high and what is to low, better to do this sooner than later
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    If it is a different Jack plate or it is shorter or longer, the prop to pad will be different. If it is the exact same jack plate then likely you have different issues. We are all just trying to help.

4. Member
    +1. The controlling variables of WOT water pressure are 1) the physical condition of the components and passages in the water jacket system and 2) motor height so you are going to have to change one or the other. It really is that simple.

5. Member
    +++1000 to post numbers #22,#23,and #24!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hey Dennis... I don't think anyone is implying anything personal here, or doubting that you can read a tape-measure properly. As several have hinted, it would probably be wise to drop the engine 1/4" and see if the water pressure comes back into a good margin/range of 18+.

Just hoping you'll give it a try, before we start recommending much more difficult items that may not even be necessary.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    I don’t understand the implication. That I simply forgot first time. Sure and so what. That’s irrelevant at this point. I’ve double check myself multiple times since and I know how to measure PTP.
    The implication is that you changed a part that greatly effects water pressure, but you refuse to "buy into the theory of motor height" and its effect on water pressure, after looking for the problem elsewhere. "First trip out too high"......maybe its still too high.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    If it is a different Jack plate or it is shorter or longer, the prop to pad will be different. If it is the exact same jack plate then likely you have different issues. We are all just trying to help.
    Incidentally, it doesn't take much to lose 5 psi at top end.

9. Member
    Thanks guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12