Flipping/Pitching Help

Been learning lots of new techniques, and many have become proven winners for me. But, I recently took the plunge and got some heavy gear for pitching/punching....and the learning has been slow. I'm in Florida, maybe now is just not the time for it....but I'm 99% sure it's operator error.

Any fundamental thoughts on what to look for, weight sizes, annnything. I wanna get this technique. But I am failing miserably. I know I need to learn this. It's a great technique when it's slow. I'm pretty good when they're active and moving, suspended or in open water....using jerkbaits, dropshots, cranks, topwater. Flipping is the opposite of this. Usually I can get myself proficient pretty quick at a new technique, but I literally get an "F" at pitching.

Some questions:

What cover are you looking for? Kissimmee grass, cattails, lily pads, hydrilla?
    What weights are you using?
    Is it more of a Summer thing?
    When I look on Youtube, I can't find vids that actually shows what they're flipping at, they all just show them fishing.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out.

2. Member
    Never having fished Florida I’m not sure what specific vegetation is best to target. In my part of the country I look for a mixture of vegetation. Like pads with coontail. Fish any irregularities within the grass. Any points, clumps or holes in the vegetation. Holes usually means there’s something hard that the grass can’t grow on like a shell bed or rock. If the grass is sparse I’ll usually use 5/16-1/2 oz tungsten. If it’s thick and I’m actually needing to penetrate it I’ll use at least a 3/4-1 oz. I’m far from an expert on it but catch some fish doing it. As far as time of year I think I’m Florida depending on your lakes you can probably catch them on it all year long. In my part of the country it’s more of a summer thing as that’s when our vegetation is at its thickest

3. Member
    As far as baits. I usually like something without curly appendages. I prefer a creature or craw bait like a sweet beaver or paca craw over something like a brush hawg. Something with curly tails tend to hang on the grass and not come through the cover as well

4. Banned
    Order this stuff now (Only because it is a GREAT DEAL) and when Punching Season gets here You can retire Your Rat-L-Trap™ until next Noel.

Deal on the weight You'll want:

http://www.gambler-lures.com/product...3-fslash-4.htm

And a couple videos to get You rolling.. Also look for 'MikeyBalzz' Punching Videos (may be on Val's Gambler™ site??)

5. Member
    Some excellent information above.. Only thing I can add is to watch this video with Bradley Hallman explaining the proper hookset.. It starts at 7:30 in the video.. I suffered bad with hookup ratio when I started but just happen to fish with someone who explained this to me.. Night and day difference in hookup and land ratio..

First question for you. How good is your pitching technique? Can you put the bait where you want it to go? Does the bait splash or make a noise when it enters the water? If the answer is no to these questions then that's where you need to start. You can be in the right area with the right color and bait but if your technique is bad you won't catch as many fish.

7. Banned
    I was exposed to Florida fishing a few years ago for the first time and got the spend a few days in the boat with a local Okeechobee legend. I was wanting to pitch and flip to EVERYTHING. What I soon learned, I was wasting my time. You need to think thick.....cover, like super thick.....like "that might be land" thick.....Thats where the bigger females were staging. the isolated clumps were for warming trends and closer to spawn....

Matted up hyacynth, cattail clumps laying over themselves, or junk mats so thick you need a 2 oz weight are for flippin'. Everything else is light duty!

In the above Hallman video, you'll see the islands of thick cover. thats what you punch. you dont bother flippin the lily pads in between

8. Member
    All great info. I can definitely hit my spots. As far as a quiet approach, I've been thumbing the spool right before impact, and it seems to make it go in better. Is this recommended? Or should I be trying another way to get quiet it down? As far as light pitching like a 3/8 or 1/2 oz, I'm totally fine, but when I go up to 3/4 or more, I can plunk them some. Should I save weights that big only for when needed to get through? I got an XH flipping stick and rigged it with 3/4, but I don't see any reason I can't take that down some (unless needed).

And, as far as the "that might be land thick" I need to change my thinking I guess. I'm looking for holes and landing directly in them. I don't think the holes are a bad idea, but it may be smart to land in the hydrilla around them and drop them in. I'll work on trying to get through some nasty stuff too.

9. Banned
    And, as far as the "that might be land thick" I need to change my thinking I guess. I'm looking for holes and landing directly in them. I don't think the holes are a bad idea, but it may be smart to land in the hydrilla around them and drop them in. I'll work on trying to get through some nasty stuff too.

BassBuster was typing about 'Tussocks" where floating crap/debris makes a thick, dense canopy (see pics)

See 'Dude' He probably weighs more than a 6#er ?

Unknown-2.jpeg

That's odd another Airboat betwixt Angler and target

Unknown-3.jpeg

https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/manage/w...ating-islands/

When it gets this dense You need to go to 1oz. to 2 oz. and Instead of a 'regular presentation' You send the bait/weight HIGH in the air and allow gravity to sink Your offering. Get into denser stuff and the issue is getting Your bait down.

It would behoove You to get YourSelf an outfit and begin practicing 'targeting' and IF YOU SWITCH HANDS after Your 'entry' PRACTICE NOT switching hands now.. You'd be absolutely amazed at how often the fish are biting on the initial drop of the bait; especially if they're "Competing for food" <--- This is when the 'rapid quick bites' happen.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post

BassBuster was typing about 'Tussocks" where floating crap/debris makes a thick, dense canopy (see pics)

See 'Dude' He probably weighs more than a 6#er ?

Unknown-2.jpeg

That's odd another Airboat betwixt Angler and target

Unknown-3.jpeg

https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/manage/w...ating-islands/

When it gets this dense You need to go to 1oz. to 2 oz. and Instead of a 'regular presentation' You send the bait/weight HIGH in the air and allow gravity to sink Your offering. Get into denser stuff and the issue is getting Your bait down.

It would behoove You to get YourSelf an outfit and begin practicing 'targeting' and IF YOU SWITCH HANDS after Your 'entry' PRACTICE NOT switching hands now.. You'd be absolutely amazed at how often the fish are biting on the initial drop of the bait; especially if they're "Competing for food" <--- This is when the 'rapid quick bites' happen.
    Got to make your own holes sometimes.. I've fished stuff thick enough I would intentionally pitch a 1.75oz weight 10+ft up in the air so it would get enough momentum to break through.. You would think a big weight hitting the mat that hard would spook the fish but it didn't seem to bother them at all... Just know that when you hook one in something that thick you will have to go in and dig them out..

11. Banned
    I don't know if He saw the latest StarWars™

F = G * (mM)/r2

Getting them out is the hard part BUT IF You have to finagle the weight 'IN' and it is much smaller than the intended target, what are the chances of getting them out?

"Jeez, that hit like a ton of bricks..."

MudSkipper.. Until it isn't a MudSkipper
    Last edited by LewStulePH.D.; 01-01-2020 at 09:38 PM.

12. Member
    Re: switching hands....One smart thing I did was get a LH reel, so I don't have to do that. The Tatula Elite P/F. It's an awesome reel. Don't know how it works with a fish on though LOL. But we'll get there.

A couple more dumb questions:

Say you're pitching cattails, or lily pads, Kissimmee grass (not punching through)....what size weight would you use? 1/2? Less?

Lastly, what do you guys consider optimal flipping/pitching/punching season?

13. Banned
    A couple more dumb questions:

No such thing and You're honest enough with YourSelf to admit it, now You will be awash with knowledge.. You can always catch them "Dropping" ( Dee Thomas showed me and another guy what Flipping actually is and out of respect for Mr. Thomas, I don't use the vernacular "Flipping" ) But there are always Bass near that type cover but during the unstable weather dictates Your numbers will be out and about and "Size" will be near the fronts of creeks, until it is warm again. You're liable to get some 'Schoolie Action' if Your outside of the pads. <--- Based on what I've noticed.

Here are some Flipping/Punching videos from Mikey, so You won't get bored.

Tight Lines

14. Banned
    If You get the Outdoor™ channel. They're currently airing the Kissimmee Championship from Lake Garcia It is on again tomorrow a.m. from 0600-0800.

There is a section where one discusses what He calls 'Flipping" (new school method)

It 'may' also show You a couple new spots.

* Also re: getting a lefthanded reel.. If You use a split grip rod; the little piece on the bottom is for grabbing and using both hands to cast <--- do this and You don't have to buy odd reels. But I see 'the pros' switching too.. This also helps immensely if Your rotator cuff is descompuesto

** OPINION **

The reels which are 'right handed' should really be dubbed 'lefty'