V4 115 cold start issues

2004 v4 115 2 stroke motor wont start cold, after its ran its good for the rest of the day. Compression 130 , good spark on all, butterfly plates all close with solenoid.
    At a loss on this one. Suggestions ??

2. Member
    My 99 was that way also. I put a johnson/evinrude choke and drilled 2 small holes in the intake manifold and plumbed it in. Started much easier after. There's a guy on here that built a 100mph 115. That's where I got the idea from.
    Nick McDaniel

3. Member
    had a 98 was exactly the same. before i left the house I would pump that ball, choke and crank it over several times until it fired up. Then once i got to the launch it would start after 2 or 3 cranks.
    Great motor though.

4. Member
    Are you giving it any throttle when starting? Pump bupb up good right before starting. Try to get engine as level as possible before starting. I did have a few customers that only way I fixed it was to slightly richen the idle mixture screws. Also some reeds from Chris Carson will help a lot.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    Are you giving it any throttle when starting? Pump bupb up good right before starting. Try to get engine as level as possible before starting. I did have a few customers that only way I fixed it was to slightly richen the idle mixture screws. Also some reeds from Chris Carson will help a lot.
    As said pump bulb, level engine, crack throttle slightly just enough to the feel it is open slightly. not where it revs high, then push key in and spin engine over will crank second or third try can push key in and off to keep running. I had the same problem with my 150 vmax until I learned how to start it first time after it starts first time it will start every time by just turning the key.