Thread: Simplicity

Simplicity

So, I have tried almost every line and combination of lines over the last 20 years including straight mono, straight braid and now I am currently using a braid to Fluoro setup. I have noticed the last several years that the quality of most Fluoro has dropped noticeably. So for the sake of simplicity I am going back to 10 lb trilene xl for spinning and 17 lb xl for baitcasters. I will change rods as needed depending on the application. Anybody else tried this and liked it? The line choices and combinations now are endless and can be very expensive. I think Rick Clunn had an article on this several years ago.

2. Member
    I am just the opposite. I have switched over to braid with fluoro leaders on all my rigs. Yes, braid is expensive but it lasts so much longer than mono or fluoro. The thinner diameter allows me to up the pound test size resulting in fewer line breaks. All of this results in fewer line changes, fewer fish breaking off and to me a more efficient fishing experience.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

I too am a braid/ floro leader guy. The "J" knot is super easy to tie and strong for the braid to floro knot and of course the Palomar knot at the bait end. Power Pro with Berkley 100% floro leader. Some applications are straight braid or straight floro. I use The Professor Braid Aid line conditioner on both types of line and swear by it! KVD is good but Braid Aid is better. I found buying large service spools of any type of line saves you money in the long run as you're not left with a bunch of line that won't quite fill a reel.
    Scott Inman

4. Member
    I use braid to fluorocarbon on all of my spinning setups. I throw straight mono a a couple of casting setups, straight fluorocarbon on some, then braid on the rest. If I feel the need for a certain technique I’ll add a leader

5. Member
    I use an Alberto to connect the braid and fluoro and have good results although some brands of fluoro don't seem to like that knot. I agree that braid lasts a long time but even the best will slowly fray over time. I was just wondering if a couple of bulk spools of mono might be cheaper in the long run

6. Dogfish_Jones
    I’m a big user of Trilene XT line. I just don’t have many problems with mono line. I only remember 1 time I broke my line and that was after I had fish logs and rocks all day and it broke when I set the hook deep in some brush. I never use anything smaller than 12lp on my baitcaster and 10lp on my spinning reels.
    The only time I change out to braid is my flipping combo.

Quote Originally Posted by 618PRO View Post
    So, I have tried almost every line and combination of lines over the last 20 years including straight mono, straight braid and now I am currently using a braid to Fluoro setup. I have noticed the last several years that the quality of most Fluoro has dropped noticeably. So for the sake of simplicity I am going back to 10 lb trilene xl for spinning and 17 lb xl for baitcasters. I will change rods as needed depending on the application. Anybody else tried this and liked it? The line choices and combinations now are endless and can be very expensive. I think Rick Clunn had an article on this several years ago.
    Call me old school but your setup is exactly what I've been using. I also use 10lb XL on my crankbait rods. Never had a problem with line breaking because I check my line often.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Call me old school but your setup is exactly what I've been using. I also use 10lb XL on my crankbait rods. Never had a problem with line breaking because I check my line often.
    Oh yeah me too! Never failed

9. Member
    I use trilene xl green on my 6lb, 8lb, and 10 lb spinning rods
    I personally dont like the braid to floro

I use a mix of braid/leader, straight braid, and copolymer. I've pretty much given up on fluorocarbon, but I'm still using up partial spools for leaders on a few spinning combos. I use straight Copolymer on baitcasters for Shakyhead, pitching, and Carolina Rig combos.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

I have 20 lb braid on a flipping rig. Otherwise everything else is spooled with Trilene XL. 10 on spinning, 14 on baitcast. That line is reliable and predictable.

12. Member
    i still use big game. 10lb c-baits , 15lb on moving baits. spinning reel trilene xl works for me. i do use braid for a few things
    works for me
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

There's a lot of touchy fluorocarbon out there and I'd all but given up on it. I tried Berkley 100% fluorocarbon and don't even use mono anymore. I do re-tie after a few good fish and only tie Palomar knots on the terminal end and the J knot to join to braid. One of my buddies turned me on to 14lb. Fireline Crystal for spinning reels. 20lb on up doesn't cast as far and 10lb on down gets stuck in the bail roller. Sensitivity is primo using this combo on spinning gear.
    Scott Inman

14. Member
    I use copolymer myself on all my baitcasters. Am using suffix promix on my spinning setups & no problems. May try braid to flouro combo on spinning gear for shakey heads & ned rigs to see if i notice a difference in sensitivity & catch rates.

15. Member
    I've been through a bunch of different lines; mono, fouro, braid and currently use braid to fluoro leader on everything except cranking rods and setups used exclusively for punching/flipping heavy cover (grass) or frogging. I use straight Fluoro on cranking rods and straight braid on punching/flipping/frogging setups. As someone mentioned above, LOTS of fluoro is finicky for different knots. I went through several different popular brands of fuoro before I settled on P-line (I have no affiliation with the company). Since I've switch to P-line fluoro I rarely, if ever, have a break off. In fact I can't remember the last break off I've had that wasn't because of a toothy critter, and I fish every weekend all year long. I also tie a palomar knot which isn't supposed to be fluoro friendly. I will also say, no matter what line you use, you should check your line often, and re-tie often. No line is immune from nicks and frays. It takes 20 seconds to re-tie. I'll re-tie if I catch a pickerel, or a gar everytime, even if I don't think it got my line in it's mouth, even if I'm using 65lb braid. One last thing, using the same mono or flouro that is on your reels from last season is pressing your luck. The stuff has a shelf life once it's gotten wet. Replace your line every season at a minimum. This is why I really like braid to flouro leader, I'm never replacing more than 8-15ft at a time. Cranking setups get replaced every year at a minimum. Line is expensive, but less expensive than losing baits or tungsten weights on a regular basis, and there's no worse feeling than breaking off on a big fish, or any fish for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by scotti509 View Post
    There's a lot of touchy fluorocarbon out there and I'd all but given up on it. I tried Berkley 100% fluorocarbon and don't even use mono anymore. I do re-tie after a few good fish and only tie Palomar knots on the terminal end and the J knot to join to braid. One of my buddies turned me on to 14lb. Fireline Crystal for spinning reels. 20lb on up doesn't cast as far and 10lb on down gets stuck in the bail roller. Sensitivity is primo using this combo on spinning gear.
    Pay attention to line diameters with that stuff. It's really strong for its rating compared to other brands, but also REALLY thick. 8 lb Berkley 100% is the same diameter as Sunline and Seaguar 12 lb. Learned that when trying to figure out why I couldn't catch a fish on a drop shot...

Also be careful with the J-knot. I used that one when I first started my foray back into bass fishing as I had learned it from fly fishing and knew it as a very strong knot. What I found was that even though it's great for mono-to-mono or mono-to-fluoro, it's not that great of a knot for braid to mono/fluoro and that it broke almost half the time (lure knot being the other half). Maybe it was just me, but knot tests I've seen have kind of confirmed that. Other knots like the Alberto, Albright, FG, and my personal favorite the "lazy Alberto" (Google Shin Fukae leader knot) are much stronger. I use the latter and have broken my leader knot exactly once in the last two years. I fish braid to leader on just about everything except cranks and "dragging" techniques (c-rig, football jig).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Berkley 100% Floro 12-15lb/ Berkley Fireline Crystal 14lb joined with the J knot. (Wetted of course) on MH spinning rods and Power Pro 40-50lb/Berkley 100% Floro 15lb on MH/H baitcasters. The only time I ever break that knot is if I get hung up fatally or if for some reason my drag got cranked too tight. Obviously for froggin' or flippin' heavy cover I don't use a leader.
    Scott Inman

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti509 View Post
    Berkley 100% Floro 12-15lb/ Berkley Fireline Crystal 14lb joined with the J knot. (Wetted of course) on MH spinning rods and Power Pro 40-50lb/Berkley 100% Floro 15lb on MH/H baitcasters. The only time I ever break that knot is if I get hung up fatally or if for some reason my drag got cranked too tight. Obviously for froggin' or flippin' heavy cover I don't use a leader.
    ^^^This^^^
    my spinning is 10lb. Braid 6 -8 lb leader. I will say I have been experimenting with Trilene XL on some setups with good results. Sure is less expensive than 100% Fluorocarbon