Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Car Purchase?

My wife and I have been retired 5 years now and thought it might be nice to buy a new car. Our last new car purchase was 2004, Chrysler 300M. We are looking at either a Honda CR-V or a Toyota Rav4. In looking at all the new features they are putting on cars these days I am becoming overwhelmed with all the switches and doo hickies. Has anyone else had any problems adjusting to the new tech? Thanks

Just like a new phone. You'll learn it quick.

3. Banned
    Both of those are excellent choices IMO. From reliability and resale they are going to be tops in their class. As for the new tech, its still a car, just drive it like you did the chyrsler. The tech is simple and really you don't need to mess with it if you don't want to. Both choices should spend less time in the shop than the chrysler did.

4. Member
    Just my opinion but I would stick with the Honda CRV...........................Overall, I feel they are superior to the Toyota.

5. Member
    The CR-V does have quirky controls that take a lot of getting used to. Having said that, the features you can get for less than $30k is good. I do like the RAV4 too, but it might be a little more $ for same features. Both are great choices.

My stepson just bought a RAV4 and he really likes it. Most of the trim levels have the safety features like emergency braking and lane change assist. My in laws got a CR V a few months ago and it has nothing for safety features. Its plain and simple car. They really needed the safety features too but were stubborn and didn't allow my wife to help them. Go on YouTube and type in the vehicle you are looking at and then review.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

7. Member
    We got 2 new ravs for work last year. Junk junk junk. Roof trim pieces keep coming off. You can walk by it and a dent will appear. I wouldnt recommend anyone own one for a new personal vehicle. Much better choices.

With any newer vehicle you purchase these days, I'd recommend spending a few hours in it in the garage or driveway reading the owners manual and going through all of the controls and options. Best to get familiar with things there than on the road.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Just my opinion but I would stick with the Honda CRV...........................Overall, I feel they are superior to the Toyota.
    Toyota has better resale value, and longevity. Our last Lexus was sold at 250k, and the guy has close to 600k on it now. Honda is not what it once was....our insight was falling apart at 120k.

10. Member
    None of them are as good as they used to be, get the one you like the most and hope for the best.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post
    Just like a new phone. You'll learn it quick.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    With any newer vehicle you purchase these days, I'd recommend spending a few hours in it in the garage or driveway reading the owners manual and going through all of the controls and options. Best to get familiar with things there than on the road.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

13. Member
    For me, two key factors on new cars are:

CVT transmissions - some OEMs and models have had significant issues. Study reliability of this component. Toyota Camry is still using an 8-speed auto instead of CVT. Mazda is still using auto transmissions instead of CVT.

Small turbo engines to increase fuel mileage. For 150,000 miles, these small turbo’s are likely to not give too many issues. However, to keep a vehicle 15-20 years, do you want a small turbo or larger normal engine. Toyota Corolla and Mazda are still using the 2.5l 4-cylinder, instead of smaller turbo engines.
    Last edited by Charles Prestridge; 12-30-2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: My mistake in typing Coralla, instead of Camry

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    None of them are as good as they used to be, get the one you like the most and hope for the best.
    They are all better than they used to be.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Toyota Corolla is still using an 8-speed auto instead of CVT.
    Might want to double check that. They switched to CVT in 2014. My 2020 is CVT

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Toyota Corolla and Mazda are still using the 2.5l 4-cylinder, instead of smaller turbo engines.
    My 2020 Corolla has a 1.8l 139hp beast under the hood. You can get a 169hp 2.0l though. Not a 2.5l

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    They are all better than they used to be.

18. Member
    I test drove both and the Honda gets my vote. It was quieter and appeared to be better quality for the money.

Do yourself a favor and check out a Mazda CX3 or CX5. Mazda makes a good vehicle. We just bought the wife a new CX5. Gave the 2013 model to the son and his wife with 75,000 miles on it. This was a first generation model and it had ONE, yes 1 recall on it in the years we had it. That was for a rear hatch lift shock of all things.

20. Member
    The Turbocharged engines are just much better to drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast