Power Pole Worn Around Bolts

Anyone ran into this issue? (See Pics) I got boat last year, the pole is a 2016 Pro II Series. The shaking got so bad I had to Hook a ratchet strap from the bracket around the pole. I heard PP customer service is top notch and plan on giving them a call, just wondering if anyone has seen this? It is not under warranty so i am not sure what to do at this point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wonder if they were tightened down to much. Never seen that before -

3. Member
    Thinking it may have been from an impact gun.... Trying to figure out what to do

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Looks like some new rails are in order(not cheap) and a rebuild kit. Power Pole may work with you (feel bad).. agree looks like impact gun not sure why in the world anyone would do that..

5. Member
    I've seen this before. It normally comes from worn bushings (plastic) and the pole wobbles causing damage that looks like this. I agree with K&K about calling PowerPole.
    Note: they should only torqued to the following ft. lbs.

5/16" bolts =4 ft. lbs.
    3/8" bolts = 7 ft. lbs.
    Lubricate pivot points with lithium grease

If I wasn't lost, I'd surely know where I was going!

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smith64a View Post
    I've seen this before. It normally comes from worn bushings (plastic) and the pole wobbles causing damage that looks like this. I agree with K&K about calling PowerPole.
    Note: they should only torqued to the following ft. lbs.

5/16" bolts =4 ft. lbs.
    3/8" bolts = 7 ft. lbs.
    Lubricate pivot points with lithium grease
    We have seen elogated holes from bushings but not the rail damage like that
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-31-2019 at 08:36 AM.

7. Member
    Called power pole yesterday and emailed them the pictures. Long story short they are sending me two new channels and hardware kits under warranty even though my warranty ran out this year, no questions asked. I also needed a new circuit board and he did that for half price. A+ for Power Pole customer service, saved me $525

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_ECU View Post
    Called power pole yesterday and emailed them the pictures. Long story short they are sending me two new channels and hardware kits under warranty even though my warranty ran out this year, no questions asked. I also needed a new circuit board and he did that for half price. A+ for Power Pole customer service, saved me $525
    nobody better then Power Pole, figured they would take care if you.

9. mikesxpress
    Bryson this condition is not uncommon. I have a set of 1st gen 8' PP's and experienced a similar issue. The length of these poles and associated mounting brackets creates harmonic vibrations during trailering and to a lesser extent on the water. We have all seen a rig with poles on the road and the poles shaking. *The longer the pole the more violent the shaking. End result is the joints take brunt of the movement and you end up with what you are seeing now. The joint bolts/bushings being loose add to the problem.

I rebuilt mine a few years ago and worked thru various remedies till I settled on SS rachet straps securing the poles to the transom. For me, this reduced the shaking during trailering to almost nothing and I find no evidence of any joint damages since adopting this process. Yep it's yet another launch list item to remove the straps, and you will forget a few times till it becomes the norm. + is you can take them off on the water.
    I crank them down just till they put pressure on the mounting brackets.

mikeexpress resized 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-31-2019 at 08:40 AM.

10. Member
    Mine looked the same way. Nobody touched it other than me as I opened the new box and installed it myself.

called Power Pole and they sent me some rebuild kits. Changed the bushings out and all was good.