Thread: St Clair

Banned

St Clair

Planning a trip there in 2020. Whens the best time to go to catch monster smallies?

It's good all year, provided your around the fish and can get on the water. If you go during the ice out through the spawn the fish are generally easy to find but you'll have a lot of fishing pressure. If you go in the warmer summer months you'll have less fishing pressure but it's tougher finding fish. You'll also have all the pleasure boat traffic. If you go in the fall through ice up, the pleasure boats die off and the fish get easier to find again. Really, as originally stated, it's good all year, just different conditions and locations.
    Last edited by LennyB; 12-30-2019 at 08:51 AM.

3. dartag1829
    If you are coming for ID as your profile shows I would hire a guide for a couple days. You can spend days trying to figure out where the fish are and what to use. It will be well worth the money. Remember St Clair is Huge and Wants to Kill You. Weather can get nasty in a hurry.

I would recommend Marcell's Guide Service.

4. Member
    I 2nd Marcells. You’ll learn a lot in 1 day

5. Member
    Join the masses around Memorial Day. Find the boats and start floating. Bad day is 40, good day is 100 plus with two or more guys in the boat. Good luck!

I prefer the end of April (prespawn) or beginning of May to the middle of May during the spawn. We've always caught our biggest smallmouth during the prespawn, but you roll the dice with the weather. If you prefer better weather than maybe summer would be more comfortable. You still an catch big ones, but they are more spread out. There are certain spots where you can catch them all year long. This video below will give you a starting point at least.