Deep spotted bass

Here's a school of deep spotted bass on Lake Keowee SC. There were a bunch of fish around this point today and managed to catch a number of them. My lure going down to the school is the visible diagonal line and as it enters the school, a bass immediately eats it! I love video game fishing.graph 12291.jpg

2. Member
    clean

Love the 2D

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

4. Member
    Nice, 80 fow, wow!

5. Member
    Yes - the fish get deep here in the winter. Notice how some of these bass are absolutely stuck on the bottom of the lake! I caught a spot here in 102 feet a few years ago.

6. Member
    Surprised to see bass that deep. Did they make it to the surface alive? Did you have to needle them before throwing them back?

7. Member
    Spotted bass, at least on this lake, tolerate the depth change incredibly well. They fight all the way to the boat. When released, you can watch the fish swim back down to the bottom on the graph. I have watched schools of spotted bass go from 20' to 80' in a matter of seconds and back up to 20' just as quickly. It doesn't seem to bother them much. Every now and then, one will have some problems and need to be fizzed but it is rare. In a tournament, after being in the livewell all day, they just swim away when released. Now, if you hook a largemouth at that depth it is usually done by the time you boat it. I have caught a largemouth here in 84' of water in the winter. Something about the spotted bass though - they tolerate the pressure changes very well.

Keowee is a power plant lake so the water stays warmer than usual in the winter. Nice shots
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

9. Member
    Caught a spotted bass out of 85 feet of water a couple weeks back. Had to fizz it to get it to go back down at the end of the tournament but the fish was in good shape and swam away like nothing had happened.
    2020 Caymas CX20