Lower units for Mercury four strokes V8

I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm a bit confused concerning the possible lower units for four strokes V8. I've got a 200hp Pro XS V8 (2B591233) with a lower unit (gray) with 7 holes. I think it's a Verado type lower. I'm not exactly sure about the ratio but I think 1.85. If somebody would make a list of possible lower units for 200 h V8 and 250hp V8 (Pro XS) with size and ratios, maybe it would help me, an others.

2. Member
    My 2019 200 V8 ProXs has the torquemaster with 1.75 gears.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    I don't know if I'm the only one but I'm a bit confused concerning the possible lower units for four strokes V8. I've got a 200hp Pro XS V8 (2B591233) with a lower unit (gray) with 7 holes. I think it's a Verado type lower. I'm not exactly sure about the ratio but I think 1.85. If somebody would make a list of possible lower units for 200 h V8 and 250hp V8 (Pro XS) with size and ratios, maybe it would help me, an others.
    Given the sheer numbers of model numbers, this would be more confusing than it would be helpful. That being said- I'll be glad to check your specific serial number for you (Mercury's system is down for maintenance currently, but will be glad to check tomorrow or Thursday, when it comes up).

The 20" 200 ProXS was available with either the TM (1.75) or the 4.8" Verado-Style Gearcase. Simple method to distinguish between these two is the small "wing" or fin located forward and just above the side water inlets (present on the TM gearcase).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    No, no wing on the lower unit, just 7 holes on each side for the water pickup and , if I remember some on the nosecone. Than you. I didn't know there were so many models.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    My 2019 200 V8 ProXs has the torquemaster with 1.75 gears.
    Same as mine. There’s also an actual sticker on my lower unit that says the gear configuration.

6. Member
    ( 2B591233) Did some investigation and because lower is 25'' long, (aluminium boat) mine is the 5.44'' gearcase with 1.75 ratio. So with a 19 pitch Tempest plus, in theory, how many rpm should I be turning ans how fast should I be going.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    ( 2B591233) Did some investigation and because lower is 25'' long, (aluminium boat) mine is the 5.44'' gearcase with 1.75 ratio. So with a 19 pitch Tempest plus, in theory, how many rpm should I be turning ans how fast should I be going.
    You're going to need to get your RPM's up into the 6000-6200 RPM range. Really no way to accurately compute your speed (only a very rough guess is possible, and that has to "assume" that you will actually be able to spin the said 19 pitch prop into the RPM range).

What boat is this on?

Note: Service Bulletin 2019-010 is still outstanding on this engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    It's on a Princecraft Xpedition 180. I will talk to dealer in Spring about the Servie Bulletin
    Last edited by Real L; 01-08-2020 at 11:54 AM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Looks like that's what they used on the one in their video (on their website).

IMHO- it's probably the best choice for that particular hull.