Thread: Boat set up

Boat set up

1995 Ranger 491v with 200 hp venom. Had new power head put on and added manual Zlock jackplate. Before rebuild with low compression I'd top out at 58 or so, on a perfect day 60. Running 4 blade renegade 25pitch prop. Mechanic said the shape my engine was in he was supposed it ran at all. He said once it was done with the adding of jackplate and new power head I should get to 65 easy...After break in I topped out at 54/55 on gps. My tach is not working at the moment so dont have readings. I was shooting a rooster tail a tdd least 15 ft high which before it never went over engine ..I just measured and center of prop is 3.50 inches below pad..Any suggestions??

2. Member
    You probably have something wrong with your engine. Need to fix the tach first,then check compression,spark and fuel delivery.Sorry but a fresh rebuild doesn’t mean it’s running right.

3. Member
    I m assuming Your still in break in period and double oil . Get it through it’s break in plus get The Tach FIXED . If the motor checks out . Then you have two options to get some speed ,prop work or prop change. Maybe lower the motor down to 4” below pad . But the high rooster tail is a sign that your motor is to high ,bad prop slip . Or worse a 1995 ranger is water logged haul and your real heavy now . Today’s bass boats that have been injected with expanding foam are know to get water logged over time and the boats get slower and slower. . Once the water gets in the foam cavity’s it’s next to impossible to remove .

4. Member
    What size plate did you put on it? Anything over 6" is a waste of time on that boat and a 24" Raker would be a better prop than the renegade on a Ranger. Get the tach fixed or your wasting time trying to figure out what the motor is doing now that it's fixed and drop down to 4" under prop to pad.

5. Banned
    Agree drop it down to 4" and find a Raker. Take it back to the shop that put the power head on have them replace the tach and make sure your getting 100% throttle.

6. Member
    Sounds like a prop or motor height issue with me, nobody should have that high of a rooster tail

7. Member
    Definitely need that tach working, I would expect rpms to be low with a 25p 4blade. A working tach will also help you dial in motor height. Write down changes and results for future reference.

8. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Roster tail shouldn’t go no higher than top your motor cover.

9. Member
    Yup, mine is never over engine......
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823