Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats your battery set up? Mine's not working.

Ok guys, I have 17' z21. It was sold off the showroom to me in late 2018. So its only been used a little over a year and garage kept. It has 3 interstates for the trolling motor. The cranking is Interstate AGM 1190cr amp. 2in1. The boat came like this from bass pro. The only thing different is, I got rid of the HDS 9"s it came with and replaced them with lowrance live 12" bow and helm. My boat wont start after a short period of fishing. (Pumps on graphs on). To start i need to use the emergency start switch. know these are not the best batteries. I am trying to fix this. I am not looking for lithium answer.lol

Questions?
    1. Is this enough power?
    2. What do you have of equal power-electronics that works for you?
    3. Whats your diagnosis
    4. Is there that much power draw from the 9" to the 12"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You have a bad battery. I run a 36v trolling motor, three hds units and livewell pumps running and run 3 batteries for all with no issues.

3. Member
    I have a 2019 Z19 that i just got in April. I ordered it in Jan. Twice now i have a battery issue. Once it shut off my graphs but started, second was in a tourney and had to use the jumper. I know i have an interstate cranking AGM 31 but not sure anything else of the battery. I have helix 9's 1 at the bow and 1 at the console. While fishing the one at the console is put on stand by, and when i run i put the one at the bow on stand by. I did a battery test at home and it checks out good. The tester that i used is the cheese grater style battery tester. The battery came with the boat from the dealer. I could use the help also. Thanks

4. Member
    I went down the same rocky road. The larger the screen your units have the more juice they draw. The only cranking battery that has done me any good is the North Star X2 with 1150 cca and 225 rc. Batteries + bulbs has it under their label. I tried 3 different batteries and 2 different shops spending over $800 before I heard about it. It’s pricy but is good and has a good warranty.

5. Member
    Let's start with... What's your charging situation? 4 bank, I assume. Also, have you taken the battery out and have it tested?

Rumor has it the interstate agm is no good. Drop in a batteries plus x 2 31 agm in it
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    I have the same boat. I replaced the original cranking battery with the X2 Power from Batteries Plus the first week I owned it. I run two solix 12's on my console and a Solix 15 on the bow. I can fish all day with everything on and have no issues.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

8. Member
    In my Z19 i have the NOCO 4 bank charger

9. Member
    Go With the X2 for your starting battery. It is a beast. I run two Solix 12's, Talons, livewells. Its nice not having to worry about it. I am also running 3 Lithium for my trolling motor. Very happy with my set up now.

10. Member
    I also switched to an X2, great battery.
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

11. Member
    Sounds like you have a cranking battery that has an issue. First, have you verified that the water level is proper and that you are getting a full charge on that battery before you head out. Next, make sure all the cable connections are solid with no corrosion/buildup on any of them. Take that battery to a shop and have it load tested if everything else looks good.

Those interstate batteries are decent batteries. I still have 2 from an old boat that are 6+ years old that I use for running my camper. Batteries have to be maintained like everything else in a boat. Most issues are derived from poor connections. Poor connections can actually ruin a battery due the excess current draw required to overcome poor connections.

12. Member
    On my Z19 my cranking battery is an AGM and is a sealed battery. I can't check the level. I do have a load tester and did a test and it says it was good.

13. Member
    I think I have that same cranking battery in my 2019 Z19 are you charging the batteries the day before you go out. Make sure you are pushing the power button off if you are out of the boat for awhile, lunch, docked for couple of hours.
    I need to keep an eye on that battery also.

14. Member
    When I am not on the water i have the boat plugged in. I had trouble once in September where when i tried to start the motor my graph shut off but the boat started. Then i fished a tourney the last weekend in October i had to use the jumper. Now when i was fishing, i fished the same shoreline for roughly say 6 hours the day of the tourney with the wells running and the front graph on with the graph at the console on stand by. After i had the problem fishing in September i start to shut the power off to the batteries with the jumper box when charging which i didn't do all season. Up until September i never had a problem. I would switch to a lithium if i could afford one, maybe down the road but not at this time. As far as the master power switch i always turn that off, i had the same kind of switch in my procraft boat that i had previously so i am used to that feature. Just did not expect this issue with a new battery/boat. I think this is more of a battery issue than boat. Not saying that there could be a problem with the boat but. I can't even go to my dealer because truthfully he could even hook the fish finders up right. He told me that i had to buy the hockey puck transducer to shoot through the hull for the depth (which is correct) and told me the hockey puck transducer that came with was for the trolling motor and we did't need it because he used the one for the DI. When i checked into it the one that he said was for the trolling motor was the correct one that i needed to glass in the hull so i did that myself. My dealer told me he has sold boats for 30 yrs which maybe true but that doesn't mean that he knows what he is doing or talking about. It is one thing to sell a boat and another to rig it. And i was his first Nitro ever sale and probably still the only one.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    On my Z19 my cranking battery is an AGM and is a sealed battery. I can't check the level. I do have a load tester and did a test and it says it was good.
    My bad, I completely read over the AGM notation and when I was looking at the picture above, I zeroed in on the trolling batteries. I know you tested it with your tester, but the small hand held units dont have the best rep for proper load testing. I would take it to a shop that carries Interstate and have them put it on their commercial tester. I am pretty sure that battery has a 3 year warranty on it. Even if it tests good for them I would plead your case as to the performance of the battery and get a new one.

16. Member
    Thanks rampaage. I will try that route.

17. Member
    If you have a Mercury 4 stroke you should get the X2. It meets the CCA required for that motor. I never used the stock battery that came with my 2019 Z21 because it did not meet the requirements of the engine. I was surprised the dealership would sell a boat with the underpowered battery. The X2 is not a lithium battery. Its not cheap but it will solve your problems.

18. Member
    Another vote for the x2. Had 1 in my z18 and will have one in the new z20 when it gets here
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

thanks guy I just ordered a new 2020 z21 I am having all the batteries upgraded to agm 31s that should take care of everting I hope

20. Member
    change the battery then let me set unchanged over night when test it. Its got to be the battery. take it back to the dealer and say I want a new battery. tell them you just got the boat from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast