Thread: Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes

Went by the new state park ramp yesterday on my way home from work - the ramp is open :-) . There is some ice floating around but the ramp and the main lake are open.. 3 more days of high 50s and rain coming - yeah.. it will be completely open on New Years day :-)

Guess where I will be LOL!
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

I was a bit worried this morning if it was gonna get nice today... Finally the sun came out around 12:30pm so I popped over to the New State Park ramp for a couple hours on Portage..

Funny - work suspending fish for two hours with crankbaits and jerk baits and end up catching fish with finesse worm against laydowns LOL!

Fish are suspending all around, water temp 47 - 49 depending on where you check.. Myself and one other boat (a Triton) parked at the ramp. Did not see another boat all afternoon. While the sun was out it was actually really nice to be out and especially on Jan 2nd!!!! :-)

IMG_1418.jpegIMG_1416.jpegIMG_1417.jpegIMG_1419.jpeg
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

That's crazy warm water Temps for Ohio in January!

PROUD BBC SPONSOR

Yeah .. I don't think there will be much ice fishing this winter!!! Looking at the long range forecast for our area, I doubt there is enough cold weather this winter to freeze Erie unless the weather takes drastic changes- gonna be on the water early this spring :-)

High of 60 and rain this coming weekend....
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

I saw that myself and was thinking the same thing!
    Let's hope it's a early spring this year!

PROUD BBC SPONSOR

6. Member
    I was largemouth fishing the harbors on Lake Erie on 12/26 and 12/28 and caught a couple shallow still. Water temps were low 40's.

I was as well - fish were stacked up in the channel into West Harbor and water temp was 48.. I couldn't get any to bite shallow or out deeper but we tried hard :-)
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Planning on hitting Portage in April. It's been a few years since I was there last, but seems like I remember the ramps weren't too bad then. Did completely take them out and pour new ones? Wish that lake was a little closer I'd fish it more often. I wonder if you could have gotten in the North Reservoir and checked that and Hower out. Little smaller area and might have been able to pin point them little better. Heck they might have been shallow along the road and rocks there too. Thanks for the updates.

Both the Old and New state park ramps are in great shape.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Both the Old and New state park ramps are in great shape.
    Thanks

They completely rebuilt the old state park ramp and parking area a few years ago - very nice now.. New State park is great but can get crowded at times.. I have a Goodyear Yacht Club membership which gives me access to the club private ramp on East - not the greatest ramp but never crowded. I normally launch out of East and fish there and West.

I haven't been on North or Hower in years - might take my small aluminum boat there this year with my grandsons for bluegills and crappies....
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

12. Member
    Is Portage lakes by the Portage river ?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Is Portage lakes by the Portage river ?
    No. Akron, Ohio.

14. Member
    Thanks I often wondered about fishing the Portage River when I was up that way.

Portage River can be a great place to hook up on some fish. Largemouth and crappie fishing are generally pretty good there. My buddy Jim that I share a YouTube channel with grew up fishing that body of water. He has shown me a lot over the years and it still produces.

16. Member
    Portage River can be really good for numbers, with an occasional good fish showing up. It receives a lot of pressure and fished fairly small.