Lower unit type for 4S 250 Pro XS

Don,
    Just had my new 250 Pro XS installed and noticed that the lower unit looks slightly different than in the brochures. I have 5 water inlet holes per side (plus the 4 in the nose) rather than 3 per side as in the brochure. Did they change the design of the Torquemaster or do I have a different LU? Motor ser # is 2B737228. Just curious...Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    It was mentioned in an earlier thread that Merc did add the additional holes in later production.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    Must've missed that one. Thanks!!

They dont over heat on muffs anymore

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Well... not as easily, at least.

Also, the upper hole makes it possible to install the pin-style earmuffs (which absolutely positively could not be installed on the earlier design as there was no hole for the pin to pass through).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Dang it....I pack ratted away the pin-style from my '07 for this day and now it won't work...i have only 3 holes

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

7. mikesxpress
    100 mph duct tape over the nose cone holes. Ears over the 3 side holes. No over heating. The tape keeps the water from running out. I've ran my 250 V8 with ears like this for 15 minutes multiple times since July 2018 with no alarms.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    100 mph duct tape over the nose cone holes. Ears over the 3 side holes. No over heating. The tape keeps the water from running out. I've ran my 250 V8 with ears like this for 15 minutes multiple times since July 2018 with no alarms.
    That's good info, Mike.

For others- Keep in mind that your results MAY vary. Duct tape (while very resilient and very inexpensive) can adhere to paint and leave behind aggressive residue, OR even remove paint with it.

You also may not have the same water volume and pressure supply that Mike does. MOST likely do not, and any overheating and/or damage done from running the engine in this fashion would not be covered under Warranty.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. mikesxpress
    Don I don't have any notifications from Mercury that tell me NOT to run my engine (with 3 inlet holes on each side) on "ears". Do you have a bulletin on that?
    Shops that don't have a tank run them on ears?

Only thing in both the owners manual and actual Mercury engine manual says is:
    "Without sufficient cooling water, the engine, the water pump, and other components will overheat and suffer damage. Provide sufficient water supply to the water inlets during operation." Yep got that part.�� Based on no other in-print information, if I run the engine on ears with a standard homeowners hose/spigot and do not get an overheat alarm, then it's sufficient. Note: I'm also watching the level 1 Mercury monitor and seeing the thermostat open/close temps.

A 25-foot, 1/2-inch diameter hose attached to a faucet that supplies water at 40 psi has a flow rate of 24 gallons per minute is standard for a home owner spigot/hose. (*100 foot hose is 6 gallons per minute.)

As far as the tape goes, it takes some effort to get it to fully enclose the nose cone holes and peels off just fine. As stated your results may vary.��