Gas filler location 1995 XL

Has anybody moved the gas filler location from the rear up towards the seating like on the 1996 and later boats?
    the 1995 filler on my boat is a big PIA. I have to blow air into the tank to clear the gas out of the vent lines in order to fill the gas tank. I know that is very dangerous.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

2. Member
    Sounds like the vent lines have a dip, or low spot, in them. I have the same boat as you with no issues filling up.

3. Member
    There is a dip in the vent lines that collects gas that spills out of the tank bouncing on the water, but I can't see how you can run the lines without a dip in them. Also I don't like gas spilling into the lake from the vent lines. It is a bad design IMO to have the vent lines in the splash well.I wish ther was a way to fix this.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

4. Member
    I wish there was a way to fix it.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

5. Member
    Well why don’t you rerun the vent lines and have them exit at another location on the boat that would prevent the dip in the lines and also not be in such an awkward location. If you don’t like the location of the lines and the issues it’s causing and you can’t fix the issues in their current positions then it’s a no brainer to relocate them and plug the existing holes in the boat...

the vent line on my espirit 185 is next to the gas tank inlet port.

6. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for a simple solution without too many holes in the boat. The tank vent lines are covered up and I can,t get to them without pulling the top off the boat. Guess I'll just keep blowing air in the tank and just filling it up half way.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

7. Member
    I’m sure if you look you’ll find that there is a “wall” in one of the compartments that can be removed for access to the fuel tank and lines. I’ve got a different boat from you, but mine was located in the compartment that houses my batteries and is facing towards the front of the boat.

I had to pull back the carpet on the wall to access the screws that held the panel in place.

worse case is you have to make an access panel in one of your compartments.

Dont give up. Sometimes things aren’t what you hoped but this also isn’t rocket science.

8. Member
    I have a 1991 Pro Sport and had the same problem. I moved the vents out of the splash well and put them in the vertical face where the air vents are, just outside of the splash well. I used chrome vents and faced them down, I left the old vents in place, so no holes to fill. Doesn't look bad and now I can fill up with no problems. I can't remember if you have room for that, just another one of Cajuns good ideas. My bilge pump outlet was below the rub rail at the water line, so I got water in the boat, I moved it up above the rub rail and filled the fitting with silicone. You guy's are lucky, I had to face customers with these problems.

9. Member
    That sounds like it will be a perfect fix for my vent lines. Thanks for the help
    my bilge is also below the rub rail, I'll check to see if that is where the water in mine is coming from.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

10. Member
    You can install one way valves for your bilge or anything else that is near/at/below the waterline....