AVX1980CC - Motor Options

I know that this is always a loaded question, but I was hoping to pick some people's brains on rigging options. I went and looked at a 1980CC on Monday, and am ready to pull the trigger - just need to make up my mind on what I want to hang on the back of it LOL.

I have no brand loyalty. The dealer that had the demo boat sold Suzuki's and Yamaha's - he was really pushing the Suzuki's over the Yamaha's pretty hard. I have NEVER seen a Suzuki on the water in my neck of the woods but was intrigued. However, after doing some homework, it looks like the Suzuki 150 is 100 pounds heaver than the competitors. And the 140 is only 2.0L (vs 3.0L for the competitors).

The Yammy's are $2-4k more than the competition, but seem to get solid reviews. Evinrude is running a heck of a deal ($2k off and 7 year warranty). I have no experience with the newer Mercs, but they look good on paper.

Any real world advice on any of these motors? (especially on the 1980 CC) I have a decent amount of dealers around me, with Suzuki being the most sparse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

The Suzuki is a solid engine as well as the grey Yamaha outboards. I like the Evinrude Etec outboards myself. I believe they, as a company, have put a lot into the technology of their products from the block on up. With the deal they are promoting right now helps make that decision a little easier as the Evinrude can be a little higher than say the merc. I've been in a 1980 with the Merc 150 ProXS and its a smooth running, powerful engine that gets the 1980 on plane in an instant. What it really comes down to is price and what dealer will take care of you if something needs addressed. Todays engines are really well built and will last a very long time with proper maint.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    i was facing the same issue a few weeks ago. I went with the Mercury 4s because it was a little cheaper, but mainly because that is the same motor that is on my 2016 Triton 189 TRX and I have loved that motor. I like the way the Evinrude's look on the back, but it my case, it was a bit more expensive. Good luck to you. I'm picking up my 1980CC in about 3 weeks.

4. Banned
    If you want reliability and efficiency go with Yamaha 4s or merc 4s. I just upgraded my ranger from a merc opti to a Yamaha 4s and it's super easy to maintain. If you want the most power, hole shot and top speed you have to go with the 2stroke. V6 2s vs IL4 4s

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    If you want reliability and efficiency go with Yamaha 4s or merc 4s. I just upgraded my ranger from a merc opti to a Yamaha 4s and it's super easy to maintain. If you want the most power, hole shot and top speed you have to go with the 2stroke. V6 2s vs IL4 4s
    I have to disagree with this post 100%. Every one of the engines he is interested in is reliable and efficient. On the boat he's looking at the only engine/s that may have a slower holeshot would be the Suzuki or a NON SHO grey Yamaha because of weight and design. The 1980 with a Merc 150 ProXS the holeshot is almost instant with a 23 Tempest so I can't see how it could get any quicker.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    I have to disagree with this post 100%. Every one of the engines he is interested in is reliable and efficient. On the boat he's looking at the only engine/s that may have a slower holeshot would be the Suzuki or a NON SHO grey Yamaha because of weight and design. The 1980 with a Merc 150 ProXS the holeshot is almost instant with a 23 Tempest so I can't see how it could get any quicker.
    V6 2stroke vs IL4 cyl 4stroke .... the v6 2stroke is going to have more power. The none sho Yamaha has different lower end gearing helping better hole shot in heavier boats. The Yamaha sho will have a better top speed performance ( I'm taking about the 150 class motors) Start adding weight to the back end of that boat, talons, batteries etc... the v6 2 stroke will perform better. Going from a merc 150 opti pro xs to a 150 Yamaha I lost performance in hole shot and top speed. I gained reliability, ease of maintenance and efficiency. As for the OP get the motor that will allow you to access a dealer locally. Can't go wrong with any of those motors, in my area merc and Yamaha dealers are readily available, evinrude and Suzuki not so much.

I've always heard good things about the Zuk's. But, I know only 1 person who owns one...and loves it. On the other hand, I know a bunch of people with the grey F Series Yamaha's and, without exception, everyone loves their Yamaha. It's what I intend to get on my Vexus when I pull the trigger.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    I have a 115 Pro XS on my 1880. It's been in the shop for 1 month and 28 days. Almost as long as it actually being in my possession.

Been in the shop bc it's been leaking oil. Shop and Mercury think they finally figured out. They are expecting to get the parts in and finish next week. We shall see.

Really liking what I see with the ETEC 115 G2. Kind of wish I went that route....

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    I have a 115 Pro XS on my 1880. It's been in the shop for 1 month and 28 days. Almost as long as it actually being in my possession.

Been in the shop bc it's been leaking oil. Shop and Mercury think they finally figured out. They are expecting to get the parts in and finish next week. We shall see.

Really liking what I see with the ETEC 115 G2. Kind of wish I went that route....

There are a LOT of 115 Pro XS motors out there without this oil issue, you just got a lemon. Happens with all products, even Vexus.

What it comes down to is how the dealer or manufacturer handles the issue. Sounds like you need to find a GOOD Mercury dealer.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    There are a LOT of 115 Pro XS motors out there without this oil issue, you just got a lemon. Happens with all products, even Vexus.

What it comes down to is how the dealer or manufacturer handles the issue. Sounds like you need to find a GOOD Mercury dealer.
    Or maybe others aren't being as observant? Lol. Yeah my understanding is pretty much all of these modern engines are pretty reliable and durable.

Maybe I should look into a new Mercury dealer, I don't know. I don't know if this is typical for hard to diagnose issues.

They are listed as an Outboard Premier" dealer on Mercury's site.

Hopefully when I get it back, I don't discover any new issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    V6 2stroke vs IL4 cyl 4stroke .... the v6 2stroke is going to have more power. The none sho Yamaha has different lower end gearing helping better hole shot in heavier boats. The Yamaha sho will have a better top speed performance ( I'm taking about the 150 class motors) Start adding weight to the back end of that boat, talons, batteries etc... the v6 2 stroke will perform better. Going from a merc 150 opti pro xs to a 150 Yamaha I lost performance in hole shot and top speed. I gained reliability, ease of maintenance and efficiency. As for the OP get the motor that will allow you to access a dealer locally. Can't go wrong with any of those motors, in my area merc and Yamaha dealers are readily available, evinrude and Suzuki not so much.
    We are talking specifically about the Vexus 1980 not a general question regarding outboards on bassboats. If that was the case then I would be in agreement with your original statement other than saying a new 4 stroke is more efficient than a new 2 stroke.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

12. Member
    Not knocking the Mercury ProXS, but my Suzuki has been great to this point.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

13. Member
    I have a bit of a different way of looking at this. Here is how I make my choice. What brand(s) are the pros running. What brands are used most in racing. What brands have support near me. What is the feedback from my club members and local tournament boys. With all of that, for me the order is Merc, Evinrude, Yamaha, Suzuki. The top two are almost a toss up. We lack Yamaha support here and Suzuki is scarce. I have nothing bad to say about any of these brands as far as performance or reputation. The e-tech is the coolest in my opinion with the new technology and built in hydraulic steering rams, no break in, quiet as all get out, looks, exterior options and more. I will be ordering another Merc with my new Vexus this month. Good luck!

14. Member
    150 ho g2 an option? would be my first choice any day
    Last edited by mactlman; 01-16-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    ETec 150 HO G2 and don’t look back....

This assumes you have a good Evinrude Tech accessible to you. My dealer ship is 2 hours away, but they have a Platinum technician and 2 hours doesn’t bother me one bit. Unfortunately we do not have good tech support for Merc in my area...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

16. Member
    I wound up going the Evinrude route. Thanks everyone for the input. Ordered the boat today! Now the wait begins...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srr5008 View Post
    I wound up going the Evinrude route. Thanks everyone for the input. Ordered the boat today! Now the wait begins...
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    I just repowered a boat, and spoke to many people and shopped quite a bit. This is what I found out, from reliable sources. I went from a Pro XS to new 4 Cycle in same horsepower. They have a 5 year warranty to can upgrade to platinum, which covers mechanical and electrical, Gold coverage only covers mechanical. I owned a suzuki for 5 years great engine, but hear their warranty is very difficult to get coverage, had a mechanic tell me only manufacturer he can't get a lower unit from. I own two other yamahas, they are great engines, but expensive, could not find any deals. Evinrude, I have no experience with other than some pros I know rave about them. My 2 cents. Good luck