Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Another Ghost Review

Having installed my Ghost trolling motor a few weeks ago, I have put approximately 30 hours on it at this point. Here are a few of my thoughts.

Installation
    :
    1. It was very straight forward. However, I recommend to install the mount 1st, then install the head unit to the mount. The instructions have you mount the head 1st to the mount then to the boat. There is no advantage to this, but it does typically require an additional set of hands. Installing the mount 1st will save some awkwardness.

2. The mounting holes will work for existing Minn Kota and Motorguide units. Use 3m 5700 sealant (or equivalent) with the mounting bolts. Put some sealant on the backs of the washers and they will stay in place while you fiddle with getting the lock nut installed.

3. Make sure the velcro strap is oriented correctly before tightening bolts (ask me how I know).

4. Motor does not activate in stowed position. (fly by wire is the reason due to motor orientation).

Programmable buttons: Buttons 2 & 3 will be programmable through the graph units, but only once the new software update is released. No date has been published as of yet of which I am aware.

Anchor Mode: Absolutely fantastic and is a game changer for me. I have sat on anchor for nearly 2 hours and it has thus far been flawless. I typically stay within a few feet of my initial mark, Be aware of obstacles such as trees, stumps, and/or bridge abutments in that the head unit is the anchor point as the boat is subjected to wind and current.

Motor: The motor itself is very responsive and utterly quiet. The shaft motor sounds a bit like R2D2, but you get use to it very quickly. Very responsive to foot pedal control. Pulls my Ranger 519VX with a 200 Merc with no issues.

Foot Pedal: The motor seems to have a slight lag, but becomes unnoticeable after a few uses. The pedal is fly by wire, but it very much feels like a real cable control. Knowing which way the motor is oriented is no different than when using a cable pedal.

Probably the most significant single upgrade one can make to a bass boat. I would upgrade trolling motors before upgrading graphs. Much better investment. Feel free to ask questions if anyone has any.

Regards,
    Brian
    Last edited by ethosb; 12-28-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Game changer? I think the ultrex already changed that game.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Having never owned the Ultrex I cannot say, but thanks for your 2 cents.

4. Banned

MK changed the game, but Lowrance surpassed what MK was able to put out. Maybe when the ultrex 2.0 comes out, they can compete again. Look at all the broken ultrex threads on here.

5. Member
    Can't be a game changer when anchor mode been out for years Lt. Dan!

6. Member
    For all the trolls, it is indeed a game changer for those who have never owned an Ultrex or Motorguide that had an anchor mode. The internet never ceases to amaze.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ethosb View Post
    For all the trolls, it is indeed a game changer for those who have never owned an Ultrex or Motorguide that had an anchor mode. The internet never ceases to amaze.

There is some serious chapped ass with the ultrex owners, it’s really weird. Potential buyers want to read threads like yours, I love my ghost and I was really scared about it’s quality when I placed my order. Lowrance got this thing right.

I had a MK Terrova and after owing that thing, I was never going to buy an ultrex. Glad I didn’t, they have some serious quality control issues.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    There is some serious chapped ass with the ultrex owners, it’s really weird. Potential buyers want to read threads like yours, I love my ghost and I was really scared about it’s quality when I placed my order. Lowrance got this thing right.

I had a MK Terrova and after owing that thing, I was never going to buy an ultrex. Glad I didn’t, they have some serious quality control issues.
    I agree, these Ultrex guys do get chapped and you are correct in that my post was directed at potential Ghost buyers. I too was concerned with how the quality would be, especially after all the issues of them releasing Livesight and how disappointing that was when it came out
    Glad not to have wasted my money on that one. I read others post which helped me to avoid that fiasco.

9. Member

I agree, these Ultrex guys do get chapped and you are correct in that my post was directed at potential Ghost buyers. I too was concerned with how the quality would be, especially after all the issues of them releasing Livesight and how disappointing that was when it came out
    Glad not to have wasted my money on that one. I read others post which helped me to avoid that fiasco.

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Thanks for the review. I am not in the market for a new TM, but I like to read what the newer units are capable of.

11. Member
    I have an Ultrex and I love it, but I hope each new product or version that comes out works better and raises the bar for the competition. Hope we all have a good future in store with our toys.

I for one think the competition is great. Bring it on.. there is always room for improvement no mater whose brand. .

13. Member
    Minn Kota can't come out with a brushless motor quick enough, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by ethosb View Post
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...game%20changer

Definition of game changer
    : a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way

The first man that invented the wheel changed the game. The next guy just copied it or improved upon it. I hate marketing....

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by chrisntab View Post
    Minn Kota can't come out with a brushless motor quick enough, imho.
    Agree 100%!

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

16. Member

My Terrova was rock solid and so is my current Ultrex for the past couple of seasons. My new boat is coming with an Ultrex after exploring the other options with my dealer. They may have had problems early on, but a lot of those were taken care of to my knowledge.
    No chapped ass here but touting reliability on a motor that's been out for 10 minutes without the large install base that the Ultrex has makes no sense. I'm sure there will be issues as the Ghost gains market penetration.

17. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    If I were in the market for a new TM it would be the Lowrance. I own an Ultrex 36V and simply love it!!! I am a Lowrance user is the only reason and it just makes sense to get a TM that would take advantage of the electronics.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Banned
    Agree 100%!

Would you consider that a “game changer”???

Would you consider that a “game changer”???
    Nope.

But would definitely be an improvement!
    Last edited by Hollada; 12-27-2019 at 02:01 PM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

20. Banned
    Nope.

But would definitely be an improvement!

How about having the ability to choose a 24v or 36v system from the same TM, game changer?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast