Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    Wow! That's a lot of changing. I've had plenty of others (including Nitros, Trackers, and Lowes, and Alumaweld), but not jumped back and forth like that. Well, I can tell you my favorites are my current boat - Ranger Z519 and Ranger RT178, but different uses/lakes/fishing. Do you have a ventilation system in your aluminums? That was my biggest drawback - everything in the lockers/bins getting wet from the condensation, so I couldn't keep it outside or, if I did, keep anything in it. Maybe you don't have that issue up north?
    Well,.....2 "changes" were because of accidents while trailering boat (Stratos, and Skeeter), both not my fault. Also, 2 were taken out by a garage fire, (Champion & a second Grumann not mentioned in my list)

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Wow! That's a lot of changing. I've had plenty of others (including Nitros, Trackers, and Lowes, and Alumaweld), but not jumped back and forth like that. Well, I can tell you my favorites are my current boat - Ranger Z519 and Ranger RT178, but different uses/lakes/fishing. Do you have a ventilation system in your aluminums? That was my biggest drawback - everything in the lockers/bins getting wet from the condensation, so I couldn't keep it outside or, if I did, keep anything in it. Maybe you don't have that issue up north?
    Don't really have the condensation issue here, fortunately...
    I keep mine in the garage and always prop the lids open with small blocks of wood.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Banned
    all my lids are lined with a black dense foam, and never had condensation issue at all

We just did the opposite and went to glass. 11 years owning a tin rig and it served us well but I can tell you we wont be going back. Wish we had changed sooner. First trip out lake got very rough and there is just no comparion in ride and stability all around. Amazingly stable to fish from too. Plus performance on top of all that. No contest for us. Fished from an rt188 several times too and still no comparison to the new rig. Cousin just sold his Rt and got back into a brand new basscat. The only thing i liked better about the tin was much less to wipe off at the ramp but thats the one and only thing.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    So, I've read thru this thread and have not seen my question discussed directly. Are the differences between tin and glass really that much relative to weight and operating cost (i.e. towing and gas)? Looking on the Ranger site, a RT188p weighs 1300# while a Z518 weight is 1,650#. Does the 350# make that much difference? I am debating between a newer tin boat versus older glass. I know they ride differently, but a key item to me is ease of handling (I do not care about speed). I had a 17' boat years ago and really liked being able to move it around by hand to situate in garage, etc. BTW I currently own a 22' Ranger center console which is excellent on the lake, but a beast to tow. Thoughts?

My new Triton on a tandem trailer tows nicer and easier than my Tracker did which i always thought it towed easy. Then again my dad and i both tow with ram 1500s with hemis so power isnt an issue. Operating cost can be more depending on if you get i to the bigger motors our new 200 certainly burns more fuel than the 115 did but thats to be expected. For us its a moot point. Glad we went glass.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    My x19 on a tandem trailer tows like a dream. But a tandem trailer is more difficult to move around in the garage. I just back it in straight and I am good.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

I had a 2017 Z518 Intercoastal with a 200 XS. It towed better than my 20' G3 DLX. The boat was an awesome ride in all conditions. Fast as I hit over 74 mph. Would not get into water much shallower than 12". When we did rub some Oyster beds, WOW was I a nervous Nelly. It got totaled when a guy hit it. Ranger no longer made in Intercoastal in the 18'.
    After searching around, the RT 198P fit my budget and requirements. No carpet, Aluminum Trailer, No wood, Salt water ready. RT had some of the best storage, nice wide front deck, plenty of room in the bilge area to add a third trolling motor battery and a fuel water separator, room for a spare prop, room for square bucket (holds tools, medical kit, toilet paper...) I tow with a F250 6.7 Diesel and I can say the Ranger Trailer are a dream to pull compared to all other trailer I have owned or pull.
    No comparision between the ride of the glass compared to the tin. Glass wins out by far. But I have had my tin in some dicey conditions, even though the ride was not nice, it made it through with no problems. (On the river here in Wilmington NC, if we have an outgoing tide and a strong South winds, very easy to get 4' -5' waves around the bridges.)

Feel free to PM me if there are more specifics I can help answer.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    So, I've read thru this thread and have not seen my question discussed directly. Are the differences between tin and glass really that much relative to weight and operating cost (i.e. towing and gas)? Looking on the Ranger site, a RT188p weighs 1300# while a Z518 weight is 1,650#. Does the 350# make that much difference? I am debating between a newer tin boat versus older glass. I know they ride differently, but a key item to me is ease of handling (I do not care about speed). I had a 17' boat years ago and really liked being able to move it around by hand to situate in garage, etc. BTW I currently own a 22' Ranger center console which is excellent on the lake, but a beast to tow. Thoughts?

FWIW....the two boats you mention will tow about the same....glass or metal. I have had both and I have towed with several different vehicles from a Jeep Liberty to the 4WD Expedition I have now. The trailer will make the biggest difference. Well made trailersarejust a LOT easier to tow. I hate tandem wheel trailers, but some love them. I fish from some tight ramps. A tandem trailer takes a lot more room to cut 90 degrees into a ramp entrance or make a tight U turn to launch. They just don't work for me.

Comparing glass to aluminum, the only true BASS boat make of aluminum with true bass layout and front deck I ever fished from and drove that was comparable to glass and a good size is the X19 Xpress. It is better performing than a lot of glass boats. It is just unreal how it drives, fishes and takes bad water. The reason I have aluminum is ease of maintenance and I dont go fast anymore anyway. Some lakes I fish in Florida have bad docks and ramps. I fixed several fiberglass scratches and had fiberglass hull blisters twice. I went aluminum and never looked back and it has worked for me. They fish more shallow too. I have fished shallow water in the RT188 that the bigger glass boats cannot get into.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I had a 2017 Z518 Intercoastal with a 200 XS. It towed better than my 20' G3 DLX. The boat was an awesome ride in all conditions. Fast as I hit over 74 mph. Would not get into water much shallower than 12". When we did rub some Oyster beds, WOW was I a nervous Nelly. It got totaled when a guy hit it. Ranger no longer made in Intercoastal in the 18'.
    After searching around, the RT 198P fit my budget and requirements. No carpet, Aluminum Trailer, No wood, Salt water ready. RT had some of the best storage, nice wide front deck, plenty of room in the bilge area to add a third trolling motor battery and a fuel water separator, room for a spare prop, room for square bucket (holds tools, medical kit, toilet paper...) I tow with a F250 6.7 Diesel and I can say the Ranger Trailer are a dream to pull compared to all other trailer I have owned or pull.
    No comparision between the ride of the glass compared to the tin. Glass wins out by far. But I have had my tin in some dicey conditions, even though the ride was not nice, it made it through with no problems. (On the river here in Wilmington NC, if we have an outgoing tide and a strong South winds, very easy to get 4' -5' waves around the bridges.)

Feel free to PM me if there are more specifics I can help answer.
    How does that 198 draft compared to the 518 intercoastal while fishing with the trolling motor down?

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    You also have to take into consideration a heavier trailer especially if its tandem, heavier outboard, larger fuel tanks which hold more gas( about 6lbs per gallon) and if most people have more storage they bring more shite.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

12. Member
    I’ve gone places in my RT188 that neither of my last two glass boats would go. Specifically, flipping bush on KY and Barkley Lakes. I need rain gear coming and going because the ride is so wet compared to those boats. Everything is a trade off. There isn’t one boat that does everything perfectly.

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I’ve gone places in my RT188 that neither of my last two glass boats would go. Specifically, flipping bush on KY and Barkley Lakes. I need rain gear coming and going because the ride is so wet compared to those boats. Everything is a trade off. There isn’t one boat that does everything perfectly.
    X2
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    How does that 198 draft compared to the 518 intercoastal while fishing with the trolling motor down?
    Not sure what you are asking? RT 198 floats in less water than what my Z518 did. And also more willing to take the 198 into skinner water than the 518. But if I get your drift, I have had to Pole my 198 where the 518 could not go.
    I have been left aground in both boats! 5-6 hours sitting aground waiting for the tide to return.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

X3. One other trade off is the tendency of the flat bottom of the RT188 to get hung up on stumps that the pad hull will roll off. There are some shallow spots that I fish that I could not with my BassCat, but some stumpy places I can not.
    There are always compromises, the challenge is knowing what they are and how they affect your fishing style.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

16. Member
    How fast are you going to need rain gear?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    How fast are you going to need rain gear?
    Maybe 18-25? The RT188 doesn't have much freeboard nor reverse chines to help push the water away so it's harder to blow back in. It handles rougher water than most think it can, but it is what it is.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnman View Post
    I began this thread, so I thought I’d give all you guys an update:

So far, as far as the boat is concerned, I like the Vexus. From a business standpoint, I like the Vexus the least. The Ranger folks have been very helpful, but I’m not as fond of their boat. I’ve compared the Ranger R198P, the Vexus, and the Lund 1875. Here’s what I think as of right now:

Vexus: I’ve looked hard at the 1980 and the 2080. Nice boats. I’m not thrilled at their small livewell, but the RT198 has a little livewell also. I’ve been told several times “take out the divider”....which is fine, but if you’ve ever fished a BFL, that’s a poor solution to a small livewell. I shouldn’t expect the livewell to equate to the BCB that I”ve had for years, but they are pretty small. Boat, trailer, layout, construction......I like the Vexus. Pricing of the Vexus is less than appealing.

I found a 2019 1980 holdover. No electronics. Tandem trailer. Merc 150 Pro XS, Ultrex. No other special items. Priced at $38,800.00. After discussion, said they’d take $38,000.00. With tax, it was $39,300.00. I said ok, I’ll give you $40K, cash, out the door, but I would like middle of the road electronics of Helix 9 SI at helm and Helix 7 at bow. Would not accept that as an offer. Dealer said there wasn’t enough profit there to make that deal.

Now I’m no genius, but as soon as that boat rolls off the lot, its worth $34k. I went to NADA to verify that, and, I went to the bank took talk about it. In fact, my bank stated that if the 2019 had been used, even just one time, they would only lend 80% on the $34k number. A year old boat should have some consideration for that, in my opinion. I wasn’t mad....I’m just a business man...and for me, I feel as though my number, in cash, is more than fair.

So I ditched the idea of the Vexus for a minute and went to look at RT198s. I like them. Pros are: Layout inside is nice. Nice big deck. Tandem trailer has that gator Hyde stuff and not paint. Nice places for graphs to be surface mounted, both at console and at bow. Bilge area is clean and well organized. Seats are nice. Overall, I like it. Cons are: Leans toward looking like a traditional Jon boat from the exterior. Hull looks like it would beat you more than a Vexus. Plastic livewell. Storage is smaller than a Vexus.

But: The RT198 costs less....AND....that’s with comparable electronics at the console AND a power pole. The sticker, WITH a power pole and electronics (tandem trailer, 150 Pro XS, etc etc) was $39,200.00. That’s before any negotiation at all, but I don’t like it as well.

The Lund 1875 Pro V bass costs more than both the Vexus and the RT198. Its just too much for me to accept.

I’m aggravated about the $40k discussion with the dealer. I really feel that was a strong offer from me.

I’ve looked on the internet and do not see any X19’s anywhere even close to me......so that’s probably not an option.

I hate to do it....but for $40k.....I can buy a nice used glass rig....no doubt.....I”m trying to figure out what to do.

Per economics, the price breaks down like this: Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it....that’s called “price point” in the advertising/marketing world. I may only have “X” dollars in a product, but if you will pay 3X for it, its work $3x. On the flip side, if you have $3x in your product, and I’ll only give you X for it, its only worth X. Point being....anything over $40 prices me out of the market.

Finally, my dad always told me this: Remember the golden rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules. I’m not willing to break $40k.....which to me, is a substantial pile of money.

Sadly, this past time has priced me out.

One last thing: Saw a row of new Tritons and Ranger glass boats. Least expensive I saw was $52,000.00.....and I saw them up into the low $90s. The cost v/s enjoyment ratio is just not there.
    I was in the same place a couple of years ago. I had a 2011 18 foot Sabre and was looking at moving up to a NEW aluminum. Either Vexus or Ranger.
    Reason: I wanted a new boat (19-20) foot that was more affordable for tournament fishing. That's it.
    I did a lot of research and pricing. In the end I found that the Aluminum boat industry has priced itself into the barely used, to almost new a glass boat.
    20 foot Vexus loaded was over 50k. Ranger was slightly cheaper but the over all product vs the glass was not there. I was pretty disappointed.

Other buyers may have different specific reasons to go aluminum, but financially it was not feasible. The aluminum set up vs the glass and overall quality didn't justify the change.

I got this loaded out (used) 2016 BCB with only 40hrs and warranty for 36500.00. That's with the PP's, BCB quality, 24oz carpet vs what was offered in the aluminum. Its also a low 70's mph rig if speed is needed. Gets blown around less than the aluminum.
    [url=https://
    If I wanted new, BCB is offering the same rig (with 3 graphs) for 49k.

My post isn't about boat brand or the aluminum rig itself. Its about costs. My experience has led me to stay in the glass boat market when it comes to cost to leave it for aluminum.
    My conclusion was the same as the OP's.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Cajun....that is one sweet bote.

20. Member
    Honestly,

I looked at a few different tin rigs last weekend. My favorite by far is the express.

The one I looked at had the best dollar per value imo. X19 w sho 200 from 2019. I think I would avoid the sea dek it looks cool but not my favorite.

Its a cool rig for 36k (rough price)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast