Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member
    Look at the new Triton 19TXP, priced right, rated to a 175. Should start seeing them the end of Feb, or the first of March in NC.

2. Member
    Not apples to apples comparison, but I’ve pulled my RT188 and a 520L to southern Florida with the Tundra in the past. I pulled the 520L in 5th. I pull the RT in 6th because it rarely downshifts. I set the cruise at 75 MPH. I’ll get a couple mpg better with the RT...not enough to really notice. There is a HUGE difference moving a 20’ glass and the RT around in the garage. My RT weighed 2700 pounds at a certified scale headed to the lake. That doesn’t count wind resistance of the higher profile glass boat at interstate speeds. The downside is the aluminum boat gets blown around more on the water. The Ultrex fixed that. Of course glass rides better than a modified V.

I’ve also pulled a Sabre FTD on a tandem down there. I could t tell much difference between that and the 520.

After years in 2S Optis the 115 4S seems to make gas LOL. It’s VERY THRIFTY!

3. Member
    With all that you say about the 198p I’m looking forward to the Rt188p I just ordered. Sounds like I made the right decision. Speed isn’t my main concern. Just want to go fishing.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnman View Post
    I began this thread, so I thought I’d give all you guys an update:

So far, as far as the boat is concerned, I like the Vexus. From a business standpoint, I like the Vexus the least. The Ranger folks have been very helpful, but I’m not as fond of their boat. I’ve compared the Ranger R198P, the Vexus, and the Lund 1875. Here’s what I think as of right now:

Vexus: I’ve looked hard at the 1980 and the 2080. Nice boats. I’m not thrilled at their small livewell, but the RT198 has a little livewell also. I’ve been told several times “take out the divider”....which is fine, but if you’ve ever fished a BFL, that’s a poor solution to a small livewell. I shouldn’t expect the livewell to equate to the BCB that I”ve had for years, but they are pretty small. Boat, trailer, layout, construction......I like the Vexus. Pricing of the Vexus is less than appealing.

I found a 2019 1980 holdover. No electronics. Tandem trailer. Merc 150 Pro XS, Ultrex. No other special items. Priced at $38,800.00. After discussion, said they’d take $38,000.00. With tax, it was $39,300.00. I said ok, I’ll give you $40K, cash, out the door, but I would like middle of the road electronics of Helix 9 SI at helm and Helix 7 at bow. Would not accept that as an offer. Dealer said there wasn’t enough profit there to make that deal.

Now I’m no genius, but as soon as that boat rolls off the lot, its worth $34k. I went to NADA to verify that, and, I went to the bank took talk about it. In fact, my bank stated that if the 2019 had been used, even just one time, they would only lend 80% on the $34k number. A year old boat should have some consideration for that, in my opinion. I wasn’t mad....I’m just a business man...and for me, I feel as though my number, in cash, is more than fair.

So I ditched the idea of the Vexus for a minute and went to look at RT198s. I like them. Pros are: Layout inside is nice. Nice big deck. Tandem trailer has that gator Hyde stuff and not paint. Nice places for graphs to be surface mounted, both at console and at bow. Bilge area is clean and well organized. Seats are nice. Overall, I like it. Cons are: Leans toward looking like a traditional Jon boat from the exterior. Hull looks like it would beat you more than a Vexus. Plastic livewell. Storage is smaller than a Vexus.

But: The RT198 costs less....AND....that’s with comparable electronics at the console AND a power pole. The sticker, WITH a power pole and electronics (tandem trailer, 150 Pro XS, etc etc) was $39,200.00. That’s before any negotiation at all, but I don’t like it as well.

The Lund 1875 Pro V bass costs more than both the Vexus and the RT198. Its just too much for me to accept.

I’m aggravated about the $40k discussion with the dealer. I really feel that was a strong offer from me.

I’ve looked on the internet and do not see any X19’s anywhere even close to me......so that’s probably not an option.

I hate to do it....but for $40k.....I can buy a nice used glass rig....no doubt.....I”m trying to figure out what to do.

Per economics, the price breaks down like this: Anything is only worth what somebody will pay for it....that’s called “price point” in the advertising/marketing world. I may only have “X” dollars in a product, but if you will pay 3X for it, its work $3x. On the flip side, if you have $3x in your product, and I’ll only give you X for it, its only worth X. Point being....anything over $40 prices me out of the market.

Finally, my dad always told me this: Remember the golden rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules. I’m not willing to break $40k.....which to me, is a substantial pile of money.

Sadly, this past time has priced me out.

One last thing: Saw a row of new Tritons and Ranger glass boats. Least expensive I saw was $52,000.00.....and I saw them up into the low $90s. The cost v/s enjoyment ratio is just not there.
    Depending on the size and horsepower, you can get Tritons down into the mid 30's with a 150 Merc proxs, and high 30's with a 175. You may also look at the new 19TXP aluminum boat, it is also rated at 175hp. The 19TXP's are now shipping to dealers in NC.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456