Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I have an RT198p and it spends most of it's life on the biggest southern reservoir there is - Toledo Bend. It's a great and very fishable boat for plunking around for fun but there is no way I would use it in a tournament that involves a draw for a co-angler on a big reservoir such Toledo Bend or Sam Rayburn unless it was perfect weather. A full day of rollers from the wind and bigger boats will beat you, your co-angler and your equipment up.

I'd be looking at the Xpress (I probably would have bought a X19 or bigger if there was a dealer in Canada), the Lund ProV Bass or the big Crestliners. All of those boats are in use in the top level circuits where big water is fished although I did see this morning that Randy Blaukat is going to run an RT198p for the BASS Opens this year.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 12-28-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

2. Member
    This is Ranger tin country, my vote goes to Vexus but I'm bit biased these days. ;) all kidding aside, I would recommend you go check out the Vexus forum here on BBC. You will read the input from several Ranger tin defectors on that forum....
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    My tournament partner has a 20’ Stratos, and my tackle stays a my feet when we are in it, same scenario for him when we are in my RT
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I have a RT188. I fish in Florida with somebody in the back seat a lot. There is no problem. There are a couple of different ways we handle it. One is a buddy that has a big soft tackle box with 3700 boxes in it. When we travel, it sits on the back deck and when we fish it sits in his seat or the driver's seat....no big deal. His plastics go in one of the rear storage boxes. One other partner brings 3700 boxes and they fit perfectly in the rear storage compartments. I think they hold four each. I carry a fair amount of plastics and if somebody wants something they don't have,I give it to them. My partners and I always share soft plastics anyway.

I would still not fish big lake tournaments with the 188.... It is safe, has a huge front deck, fishes stable and great....It is a great general use boat that fishes two easily.....but there are better boats for big open water when you HAVE to fish. If the wind is over 20 MPH, I don't go.....not because of the boat but I don't like fishing in bad wind. I pick better days and work on things if the wind is bad. If you use common sense, the RT188 handles two anglers easily.

I edited this to say that I still would recommend a Xpress X19. Compare the hull thickness on different boats. That boat will take rough conditions and big water. I have been in it in both. It is a great boat. Some other boats might be fancier or prettier.... but the X19 with a 200 SHO and jackplate is just unbelievable in ride and speed. I don't like .100 aluminum on anything bigger than the 115.
    Last edited by Panama; 12-28-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. Banned
    The right aluminum will ride as good or better than glass, I've had both. For the OP I would look at xpress.

I’ve ran 20-21 for glass bass boats for 16 years... finally made the switch to the aluminum Lund I’ve always wanted. BEST decision I have ever made!

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    I went with the RT198p and have no complaints. I take care of mine as far as keeping it clean, touching up scratches, etc... and that's just because I am anal. I do run it pretty hard on the water, been bumped and banged around in the waves and wakes, and all good thus far. I prefer the light weight of aluminum for hauling and for maneuvering around in my driveway as I have to unload and pull it into my garage by hand. The only cons I can come up with, which are non-factors to me, are -> (1) no matter how you slice it, they are not as smooth a ride as a big heavy glass. However, the aluminum pad hull rides very nice up on plane. (2) They are a bit more susceptible to wind, not horrible, but it requires more TM work/diligence to keep her stable. I will upgrading to an Ultrex at some point just based on all the advantages it offers. (3) With wind and descent waves/wakes you will get wet, this is based on hull contour. Again, not a show stopper. The Vexus folks claim this is not an issue with their hull, but, I cannot substantiate that claim.

I tournament fish a lot, and my livewell is just fine, never lost a fish due to livewell design.

With a 150HP on any stock aluminum rig, you most likely won't see speeds in excess of 60-61 mph. If you need higher performance, youshould consider a hull that will accommodate 200HP.

All things considered, I will never go back to a glass boat.

That's all I got, good luck...
    do you have two poles? Or talons? Do you think they are needed with your boat because of the wind

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    do you have two poles? Or talons? Do you think they are needed with your boat because of the wind
    No poles or Talons. I would only use them one or two times a year when bed fishing SM up on Erie, so I really cannot justify having them just for a couple weeks in May. My dealership recommended an Ultrex over PP or Talons based on how we fish here in Western PA.

I can deal with the wind in my RT because of it's lower profile it is not horribly susceptible, it just requires me to stay on the TM to keep from getting blown around. I don't go out on bigger water w/ 15 - 20 mph winds anyway.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

I'm making the switch. I too have owned a lot of glass boats. Allison BasSport Pro, Champion 210 Elite, Basscat Puma, Triton Tr-20, Stratos 201, etc.etc. I've done a ton of research, visited several different factories, and I've decided on Gator Trax. The 21' I'm going to have built will be made to my specifications. They're aren't cheap, but I believe this will be my last purchase. Lifetime warranty and 3/16 aluminum, and custom made the way I want.

10. Member
    I sold my glass boat and went tin and thought I would only fish small lakes and rivers.... well I started missing Rayburn and then started missing my glass boat....in a perfect world I would have two boats... I sold the tin and went back to glass boats.... I will say this I test drove a gator trax strike series 22ft that purple and yellow one there web site on rayburn back in April and it was a sold well built and amazing ride.... it is by far the best aluminum boat I have ever been in..... and if I had not already had my glass boat then I would have went with Gator Trax Strike Series

^ Wall, they really are something!

12. Member
    The xpress x19 has been a GREAT boat for me. I went with the 175 SHO and regularly run it at 60-61mph. 63mph is the max I have seen with my setup. It rides good in rough water and I have not gotten wet. It is a true pad hull design so performers similar to a glass boat. I run 2 power poles and have 3 batteries, 2 PP pumps and a charger in the battery compartment. I ordered mine with a dual axle trailer and swing-away tongue. My only regret is it is not a x21.

I hit a cement block when beaching it this summer. It did dent it. But I think if it was glass a dent would be the least of my concerns.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    I have two 12' Talons on my RT 198P and a 112 Terrova trolling motor. Use them both for my style of fishing. Talons are a must when I fish skinny water for Reds and the Spot Lock when fishing the rivers for Stripers.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wall View Post
    I sold my glass boat and went tin and thought I would only fish small lakes and rivers.... well I started missing Rayburn and then started missing my glass boat....in a perfect world I would have two boats... I sold the tin and went back to glass boats.... I will say this I test drove a gator trax strike series 22ft that purple and yellow one there web site on rayburn back in April and it was a sold well built and amazing ride.... it is by far the best aluminum boat I have ever been in..... and if I had not already had my glass boat then I would have went with Gator Trax Strike Series
    Was the ride comparable to a 21 foot class glass boat? It’s hard to tell looking at pics how much V the hull has, and whether or not the bow flare is enough to keep you dry.

15. Member
    cashew chicken: yes sir they are amazing boats in my opinion... until people test drive a gator trax strike series they have no clue what they are missing out on....

blakesfav: this is my opinion and please go test drive and ride in one before you buy..... I was in a 22ft with 300 rude and trim tabs and power poles... we launched it out of caney on rayburn with a major south wind and this boat blew me away on the ride.... I have never been in a 21 or 20.... it was very very close to a glass boat.....I would say on this day a glass boat might be a tad smoother/softer but it was so close of a call... this was out in main lake not inside a cove.... we then took boat back to caney and got out of the wind some and put the trolling motor down and I was surprised how well It fished and how stable it was... my last tin boat was bow high and wind blew it more than I liked and it was not stable while fishing.... this gator trax does not set flat as a ranger but it does not set bow high.... the only thing I did not like was the seat sat high in my opinion I was not use to that and they build these custom so when I do buy one..... I will leave the storage out from under the driver seats so I will set lower..... and I was told they can even lower it even more if I wanted to.....and they have tons of storage and we never got wet.....they are just amazing boats... on a normal day I would say you would have a hard time felling a difference.....this thing took turns on a dime and never blew out or skipped or lost bite.. It dove like it was on rails....

16. Moderator
    Last summer traded my 2003 ranger 521vx on a 2020 vexus 1980. The vexus has done every thing the ranger did no problem. Even Big water. I have the 21'3" garage and it fits with room for wife. Tows like a dream. Hard to make the choice .
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

17. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    ...although I did see this morning that Randy Blaukat is going to run an RT198p for the BASS Opens this year.
    Did they do something to enhance the bottom of that hull? The picture that I saw it almost looks like it has a Kevlar skin...(?)
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou22 View Post
    This is Ranger tin country, my vote goes to Vexus but I'm bit biased these days. ;) all kidding aside, I would recommend you go check out the Vexus forum here on BBC. You will read the input from several Ranger tin defectors on that forum....
    You need a new Icon Bro, don't you Vexus driving folks toast with Wine or a fine sipping Brandy?

We here in Ranger Tin Country are the Beer drink'n, Gun tote'n, God Fear'n, Woman love'n type...
    And in PolarKraft Country at least 2 of the 4 apply...

H2R!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    You need a new Icon Bro, don't you Vexus driving folks toast with Wine or a fine sipping Brandy?

We here in Ranger Tin Country are the Beer drink'n, Gun tote'n, God Fear'n, Woman love'n type...
    And in PolarKraft Country at least 2 of the 4 apply...

H2R!
    you a funny guy!

bass boat ar15.jpg
    ^^^gun tote'n for sure!^^^
    bastards ain't getting on my spot anymore!

20. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    ….bastards ain't getting on my spot anymore!
    Be nice now, this is the Season for giving...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast