1999 Mercury 9.9 Issues

1999 Mercury 4 Stroke
    Model #: 9.9MLA4ST
    Serial #: 0G811129

This is my dad's motor on his tin boat. Engine quit on him on the lake a few weeks ago. He said it would fire and then quit after about 1-2 seconds. Sort of acts like it's not getting fuel. He replaced the spark plugs and fuel pump and didn't help. Anyone have any suggestions he can check next?

Appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by Rick2018; 12-26-2019 at 02:33 PM. Reason: correct serial #

2. Member
    Same exact thing happened on mine.It ended up being a small chunk of foreign material in the main jet in the carb.Pretty simple to remove to check with no parts needed. Second number in the serial should be the letter G.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboat View Post
    Same exact thing happened on mine.It ended up being a small chunk of foreign material in the main jet in the carb.Pretty simple to remove to check with no parts needed. Second number in the serial should be the letter G.
    Thanks, he's going to check that. And you're right, the 2nd # in the serial is a G, not a 6. I've edited above.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Agree that it's likely debris or congealed fuel in the carb/jets.

BTW... there's a dedicated 4-stroke engine forum (just a couple more down the list).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor