Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator

New boat parking

Back in April we finally found a house that we both liked. One of the requirements was to have a shop and place to park my boat out of the weather. We closed on the house May 31 and hope this will be out last home. It's a modest 1 story ranch built in the mid 70s on 2.15 acres. Our little slice of heaven. The shop is 16x32 and at some point a 12x32 lean to was added on the left side. When we bought it was completely enclosed with an entry from the inside of the shop side. After saving up we have started moving forward with the removal of the lean to and addition of a bigger boat shop/man cave. Pouring an additional 12x32 slab as well as 12x27 apron to extend my driveway to the shop door. I wish I had a little more to make it bigger but this is what is in the budget. Def would have liked more wall height but I will have an 8' wall. This will only allow for a 7' garage door, but it will be a nice electric opened door that is 12' wide. A huge improvement overall from the current swing open barn doors. It will have a metal roof as well that covers new portion and existing. Also replacing all current cream color trim with white.

20191225_105630.jpg
    Last edited by Bassin Billy; 12-25-2019 at 10:14 AM.

2. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Last week the lean to was torn down. On Thursday the new concrete was poured. Framing started on Friday but the rains this week shut us down...

20191216_092559.jpg

3. Member
    Show us some completed pics when you are finished..Gonna be nice..

4. Member
    Congratulations! I know you'll enjoy keeping your boat inside, loaded and ready to hook up.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

5. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Well framing got underway last Friday. Walls went up and the trusses were built on site.
    20191220_150251.jpg20191220_150338.jpg

6. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Guys worked Monday and 1/2 day Christmas eve to finish framing, trusses and purlins to support the new metal roof. No work until this Monday and they
    Got the osb up on the walls and the single window cut in and wrapped.20191231_074806.jpg20191231_074905.jpg20191231_074827.jpg

7. Member
    Sure beats having the motor cutout in the drywall or the previous garage! Looks great old friend. Happy new year to you. We just drove through Savannah and can't believe the amount of people/shopping and concrete there now.

8. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Sure beats having the motor cutout in the drywall or the previous garage! Looks great old friend. Happy new year to you. We just drove through Savannah and can't believe the amount of people/shopping and concrete there now.
    Happy new year to you and the family too Jay!! This has been a loooong time coming getting out of the subdivision and having a little space. And a shop too!!

9. Member
    Looking good, but I gotta ask... If you wanted more sidewall, why not build the garage walls taller to the height you want, and then shorten the length of the new trusses and extend the old roof to meet at the peak. All you would really be doing is sliding the peak to the left. I'm sure you'll get enjoyment out of the new space...

10. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 91reddog View Post
    Looking good, but I gotta ask... If you wanted more sidewall, why not build the garage walls taller to the height you want, and then shorten the length of the new trusses and extend the old roof to meet at the peak. All you would really be doing is sliding the peak to the left. I'm sure you'll get enjoyment out of the new space...
    Main reason is simply money. In the big scheme of things it wasn't a whole lot more but just din't have it with a few other things that needed to be done right now. New roof was first thing we put on the house as we couldn't get homeowners insurance. Sellers were 3rd owners and didn't know when the roof was put on. Then we had to have a fence. So that was almost 17k between those alone. And my goal is paying cash instead of increasing my debt. I could have probably waited another few months but with my luck something else would have come up and if I didn't build it now it might not have happened.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Billy View Post
    Main reason is simply money. In the big scheme of things it wasn't a whole lot more but just din't have it with a few other things that needed to be done right now. New roof was first thing we put on the house as we couldn't get homeowners insurance. Sellers were 3rd owners and didn't know when the roof was put on. Then we had to have a fence. So that was almost 17k between those alone. And my goal is paying cash instead of increasing my debt. I could have probably waited another few months but with my luck something else would have come up and if I didn't build it now it might not have happened.

I understand completely. Thank for the explanation. It'll be great space for you!

12. Member
    Maybe cheaper to tear the whole thing down, pour the new concrete, and just put up a new metal building?

13. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Maybe cheaper to tear the whole thing down, pour the new concrete, and just put up a new metal building?
    That was what I wanted to do, but boss was dead set against that. This was a win win in the big scheme of things.