Norfork Stripers

Caught 5 Stripers on Norfork lake yesterday. Biggest was 10#, 2 oz. Had a ball!

88B7AF9F-367C-41B0-837E-CDFE70D0E1EF.jpeg

2. Member
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Those guys are fun.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

Very nice, Jim!!

I love getting on some stripers. I caught one a little over 6 pounds yesterday on a Ned Rig. Quite a tussle on light tackle.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Very nice, Jim!!

I love getting on some stripers. I caught one a little over 6 pounds yesterday on a Ned Rig. Quite a tussle on light tackle.
    Amazing story Aaron. A striper on a freaking 2" Ned Rig. How you accomplish that?

Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Very nice, Jim!!

Last winter I caught 2 stripers on the Ned rig, in about a 10 minute span. Only two I have caught on the Ned, they weren't as big as yours, 4 lbers, but a lot of fun on light tackle. Beaver lake.

Jim, no idea...That is the only time I’ve done that. Was fishing my normal spots on Canyon Lake (local lake with rock bottom and clear water). Had caught a few bass, including a chunky 3 pound smallmouth. Had a bite and set the hook, then the rodeo was on. 7’6” ML spinning rod with 20 pound braid and a fluoro leader and a Z-man TRD finesse jig. Fish swam straight at the boat, so I didn’t know what I had. Then it passed the boat, and things got a little western. Just smoked drag for a while, then I’d gain a little back. I really didn’t think the small hook would hold. Fortunately, I was in open water with no submerged timber. Just kept the pressure on and let the rod and drag do the work. Finally got it close enough to the boat, but my net was too small. Had to go hands-on after a few close passes.

42FA2A8A-D158-418D-BEAC-BC857A3C729C.jpeg

Edit: Not sure why the photo posts sideways.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

8. Member
    Bull Shoals lake was up 13' recently and a lot of the buckbrush was under water. Tough to throw a Ned Rig in that kind of situation. It's my understanding this is a "do nothing" rig. Toss it out, let it hit bottom, then wait a minute for the fish to take it. If no takers, lift it up, reel it in a few cranks and let it bottom again. Is that how you guys work the Ned rig?

Jim, I fish the Ned Rig several ways. Mostly hop it slowly. Sometimes just dead stick it if that is working. Sometimes the fish want it moving more and I will adjust accordingly. Have even seen days I had to swim it to get bit. My wife just slowly drags it along the bottom, and she pretty much always catches. Would love to give it a go on Bull Shoals or Tenkiller to see what I could catch. I didn’t get into fishing the Ned Rig until I moved to Texas.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Lately on Table Rock, I have been dragging it on the bottom usually catching fish in 10-25 FOW. Slow drag. I also like to hop it down bluffs. The "do nothing" thing is more about slowly swimming it on a light head, 1/16 oz or sometimes 1/32 and not contacting bottom. Right now I am using a 1/8 oz head, and maintaining bottom contact.

Walleye will eat it too. Caught this dude Thursday.

26walls.jpg

11. Member
    Learned a lot here about how to effectively work the Ned rig thanks to you guys. Appreciate it!

12. Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post