Christmas Day 1978 with Dad

I was on active duty, post divorce, when Dad said come spend Christmas with me & your mother. Filled out leave slip & was on my way to a little house on a lake back a sandy road in Central Florida. Christmas Day Dad said we’re crappie fishing ... ok. Fog was so thick you couldn’t see 100’ ... we had 4 cane poles with bobbers & 1/16 unpainted jigs with 2” white mister twisters ... a 14’ glass boat of some sort with a 12 volt trolling motor & 6 hp Johnson ... on the floor of the boat was an empty 2 stroke oil container with a rope & bike lock. What’s this for I asked? You’ll see he said. Moments later a fire drill happened while dragging the twisters & as fast as we get them in the boat & back in the water it was an instant replay. Splash went the oil container with lock - it was a marker buoy. We slowly circled until they stopped, retrieved the buoy & continued to drift slowly along only to occur 2 more X before the fog burned off. Dad said You’ll remember this as long as you live ... yeah I have ... thanks dad. He’s been gone 25 years.

Make some memories with your loved ones. Time is precious.

Merry Christmas & God Bless 🇺🇸

2. Member
    Great story

3. Member
    Great memories

Thanks for sharing

5. Banned
    Great story!

6. Member
    Here’s mine, dad and and I went in half’s on our first boat, Eldocraft, no console, steering wheel up front on the side. First time out, me and my wife, him and mom. Ladies in the middle of the boat, seat was also the live well, me up front, dad in back. We launched and went into a creek, slowed down, dad said we have a leak. Looked back, backend of boat full of water. Dad says plug came out, I’ll put it back in, I said, I put it in on the outside. Complete silence. At the moment water patrol came around the bend and took mom and my wife back to the marina, we got on plane and followed. When we got back, in-laws just happened to be there so I had to tell them what just happened. Absolutely the most embarrassing moment of my life. True story. Sorry to hijack your thread. He was the most patient man I’ve ever known, it’s been 6 years this March.
    Last edited by xcoach; 12-25-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Great story! Hits close to home!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    Nice story thanks

9. Member

10. Member
    Great story! It doesn't get any better than time spent like that together
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

11. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    WOW.. Memories can NEVER be taken away. Thanks for sharing
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971