Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2005 Yamaha HPDI just Blew... What would you do?

Just blew my Yammy today, did a compression test and had ZERO compression on number 1. Had it rebuilt by Hydro-Tech 4 years ago and ran good up until today. Its way outside of the warranty. Its on a BLAZER 202 Pro. Think I should do another rebuild or sell it as is and get a different rig? Sure thought it would have lasted more than 4 years. Suggestions? BTW same cylinder went bad.

2. Member
    How bad is the damage?

Minor, maybe rebuild.

Major, maybe time to move on.

3. Member
    I dont see a hole in the block and I also dont see no oil inside the cowling, when it started to act up I shut her down and trolled back to the ramp

4. Member
    I think i would search for a new or newer motor. I just traded my 2007 HPDI motor in on a 2020 SHO, just because of your situation. The dealer have me 6500.00 for my motor, it had great compression on all cylinders, but stories like your made me trade. You can find good deals here in the classifieds.

5. Member
    Man, I sure hate to hear that. I can't help you with that decision , my friend has his engine at Hydro-Tec in Missouri is that who rebuilt yours. Good luck.
    Wes

6. Member
    I’ve been through multiple rebuilds on an HPDI. Moving on was the best decision I ever made. (In my case I got rid of the boat and purchased one a few years old with warranty.)

7. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Always Cheaper to keep...id find out what caused it injector? overheat? headgasket?....I love my Hydro-Tec HpDi....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Dont do it again. Similar situation like yourself. I purchased a used 200 SHO with low hours and flashed it on my Champ 206.

9. Member
    Yea hydro-tec rebuilt it 2015, ran flawless until the other day, was only running 50 mph went she went.

10. Member
    Rebuild it and not much warranty.
    Replace with used motor, history unknown
    New Sho you can get longer warranty and flash the ecu. Sho will cost more if it has to be ever has to be rebuilt.

11. Member
    I dont blame hydro-tec, it lasted 4 years, was hoping to get a little more out of it, if i was a betting man I would say #1 injector ran lean and caused this, but hey I'm not a boat mechanic. I will never own a HPDI again. Alway changed all my filters, ran non-ethanol fuel with stable and fuel treatment. kept up on maintenance, water pump, spark plugs and checked my compression yearly. Been looking for another rig, if I see a nice rig and it has a HPDI I dont even click on it I just go to the next listing.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dre1965 View Post
    I dont blame hydro-tec, it lasted 4 years, was hoping to get a little more out of it, if i was a betting man I would say #1 injector ran lean and caused this, but hey I'm not a boat mechanic. I will never own a HPDI again. Alway changed all my filters, ran non-ethanol fuel with stable and fuel treatment. kept up on maintenance, water pump, spark plugs and checked my compression yearly. Been looking for another rig, if I see a nice rig and it has a HPDI I dont even click on it I just go to the next listing.
    Good idea

13. Member
    Do you know how many hours you got after the rebuild? We should be picking up my friends boat sometime in Jan. His is 2007 with 140hrs. He bought used about a year ago. I have a 2006 250 hpdi with about 350 hrs. Good luck with your decision.
    Wes

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dre1965 View Post
    Just blew my Yammy today, did a compression test and had ZERO compression on number 1. Had it rebuilt by Hydro-Tech 4 years ago and ran good up until today. Its way outside of the warranty. Its on a BLAZER 202 Pro. Think I should do another rebuild or sell it as is and get a different rig? Sure thought it would have lasted more than 4 years. Suggestions? BTW same cylinder went bad.

Curious to see which way you go on this, keep us posted.

15. Member
    Buying a Nitro Z8 with a Merc 250 that has 72 hours. Does anyone know what a 250 HPDI 2005 would be worth? Lower unit was rebuilt last year. If I had to guess it probably had less that 200 hours after rebuilt

16. Member
    Unfortunately with it blown its probably only worth about 2k...if that. :(

Your situation scares me. As a fellow hpdi owner, i had mine completely rebuilt 2 seasons ago. Runs great. But damn i hope it lasts!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Unfortunately with it blown its probably only worth about 2k...if that. :(

Your situation scares me. As a fellow hpdi owner, i had mine completely rebuilt 2 seasons ago. Runs great. But damn i hope it lasts!
    What always bothers me is I see on Facebook a place that proudly rebuilds these things and they post a pic of another customer's boat motor completed and being shipped out and I have a couple times posted asking what was the reason for the rebuild...and never get an answer!
    04 Triton TR21X, 23 SHO NIZPRO'd!!!
    27p Croxton Razor 4

old rigs
    95 BassCat Pantera II, 200 XRi Merc

97 Skeeter ZX185c
    97 ProV150--KOTTMANIZED! 27M

18. Member
    idwo2212 IF I was you I would pull those injectors off and send them in to get checked or serviced, doesn't cost that much comparied to a blown HPDI, wish I would have done it

19. Member
    Have a person looking at it tomorrow, Headache will be gone...NO MORE HPDI for ME! Had enough, time to move on. Had a friend in my bass club that had a HPDI, said his engine wasnt running strong like it had been, told him to do a compression check and dont run it. He never listened, 2 months later it blew a hole in his block. I was lucky I was only running 3500 rpms. Shutting her down quickly I think saved her, usually I'm turning 6000rpms

20. Member
    Personally I would rebuild, But that's just me as I have a basic knowledge of how to do This and if it comes to that I trust my work. Also that way I would know exactly what happened to it. Another thing is I'm retired so I have a lot of time on my hands. After I did the mechanical part I would have it checked out at a shop. But Like I said That's just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast